Monia Will Shoot First, Talk Later

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Shapecity, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">One month.

That's the promise Sergei Monia has provided.

One month, then he will let fans know what is going on in his mind. One month, then he will tell what it is like becoming the newest rage among the young Trail Blazers.

Quiet, shy and unsure of his English, the Russian rookie has declined interview requests this season, which intensified this week after coach Nate McMillan not only activated Monia for Saturday's home opener, but also made him a surprise starter.

"Give me a month," Monia pleaded. "My English is not very good."

His talking, it appears, will be done on the court, and from the looks of it, he might have a lot to say as the Blazers' starting shooting guard.

Monia had eight points, six rebounds and five assists in 30 minutes Saturday night during a 94-93 victory over the Hawks. His output included a driving layup to open the game's scoring and a pressure-packed 19-foot jump shot that gave the Blazers a 93-87 lead with 2:03 left.

"Mone, that's my boy, he's going to be good. Just give him some time and he's going to be real good," Zach Randolph said. "He's got a lot of heart, plays a lot of defense. He's a good shooter, and we need a shooter like that."

McMillan said he was becoming increasingly impressed with Monia during training camp, but he was unsure whether the 6-foot-8 guard/forward was understanding his instructions.

But when the coaching staff convened after a 39-point loss to Denver last week, Monia's name surfaced as an immediate option. McMillan chose him after considering moving Darius Miles to shooting guard or starting rookie Martell Webster. </div>

Source

2. D-Miles

D-Miles JBB JustBBall Member

i really like monia. befor and after this post