OT Monkeypox!

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by SlyPokerDog, May 18, 2022.

1. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

Congrats!

Nope not a doctor, just read up on it since Sly posted the link.

2. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

3. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  4. SlyPokerDog

Utah officials announce a pair of suspected monkeypox cases - making it the fourth state struck by the outbreak- as WHO warns virus will 'accelerate' over summer and experts tie outbreak to sex at two raves in Belgium and Spain
    • President Joe Biden gave the reassurance while in Japan, saying quarantine was not yet needed to contain it
    • Yesterday he warned in South Korea that 'everyone' should be concerned about the spread of monkeypox
    • Florida yesterday became the third US state to reveal it is probing a suspected infection with the virus
    • WHO health chiefs warn its transmission could be linked to sexual contact with skin lesions by the genitals
    • Health chiefs are probing suspected link to Gay Pride in Gran Canaria, Spain, and a festish festival in Belgium
    • European countries have been told to move to red alert over the cases, and prepare vaccination plans
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...ericans-vaccines-deal-outbreak-monkeypox.html

5. SlyPokerDog

What is Monkeypox, the Virus Infecting People in the U.S. and Europe?
    A microbiologist explains what is known about this smallpox cousin

On May 18, 2022, Massachusetts health officials and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed a single case of monkeypox in a patient who had recently traveled to Canada. Cases have also been reported in the United Kingdom and Europe.

Monkeypox isn’t a new disease. The first confirmed human case was in 1970, when the virus was isolated from a child suspected of having smallpox in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). Monkeypox is unlikely to cause another pandemic, but with COVID-19 top of mind, fear of another major outbreak is understandable. Though rare and usually mild, monkeypox can still potentially cause severe illness. Health officials are concerned that more cases will arise with increased travel.

I’m a researcher who has worked in public health and medical laboratories for over three decades, especially in the realm of diseases with animal origins. What exactly is happening in the current outbreak, and what does history tell us about monkeypox?

A COUSIN OF SMALLPOX
    Monkeypox is caused by the monkeypox virus, which belongs to a subset of the Poxviridae family of viruses called Orthopoxvirus. This subset includes the smallpox, vaccinia and cowpox viruses. While an animal reservoir for monkeypox virus is unknown, African rodents are suspected to play a part in transmission. The monkeypox virus has only been isolated twice from an animal in nature. Diagnostic testing for monkeypox is currently only available at Laboratory Response Network labs in the U.S. and globally.

The name “monkeypox” comes from the first documented cases of the illness in animals in 1958, when two outbreaks occurred in monkeys kept for research. However, the virus did not jump from monkeys to humans, nor are monkeys major carriers of the disease.

EPIDEMIOLOGY
    Since the first reported human case, monkeypox has been found in several other central and western African countries, with the majority of infections in the DRC. Cases outside of Africa have been linked to international travel or imported animals, including in the U.S. and elsewhere.

The first reported cases of monkeypox in the U.S. was in 2003, from an outbreak in Texas linked to a shipment of animals from Ghana. There were also travel-associated cases in November and July 2021 in Maryland.

Because monkeypox is closely related to smallpox, the smallpox vaccine can provide protection against infection from both viruses. Since smallpox was officially eradicated, however, routine smallpox vaccinations for the U.S. general population were stopped in 1972. Because of this, monkeypox has been appearing increasingly in unvaccinated people.

TRANSMISSION
    The virus can be transmitted through contact with an infected person or animal or contaminated surfaces. Typically, the virus enters the body through broken skin, inhalation or the mucous membranes in the eyes, nose or mouth. Researchers believe that human-to-human transmission is mostly through inhalation of large respiratory droplets rather than direct contact with bodily fluids or indirect contact through clothes. Human-to-human transmission rates for monkeypox have been limited.

Health officials are worried the virus may currently be spreading undetected through community transmission, possibly through a new mechanism or route. Where and how infections are occurring are still under investigation.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/...mallpox,smallpox, vaccinia and cowpox viruses.

6. Shaboid

Shaboid Well-Known Member

You're not wrong, there was sex...

7. SlyPokerDog

Sheep? Blow up doll?

Chris Craig likes this.
  8. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

9. Shaboid

A real life woman, believe it or not..

I live in Salem, not Lebanon or Sweet Home... Sorry @BBert

BBert, Phatguysrule and SlyPokerDog like this.
  10. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

UncleCliffy'sDaddy We're all Bozos on this bus.

Wha....???? Nobody admits to living in Salem......and Lebanon and Sweet Home are steps up. Just sayin'.........

riverman, SlyPokerDog and Shaboid like this.
  11. Shaboid

I think there is one other around here that admitted to also living up in the West Salem hills. If I was down on Lancaster or Portland Rd, that'd be a different story. Keep that hush hush!

Phatguysrule and SlyPokerDog like this.
  12. theprunetang

theprunetang Shaedon "Deadly Nightshade" Sharpe is HIM

Aside from @Dougnsalem @Dougnsalem2 . Not sure which one they use.

Shaboid and SlyPokerDog like this.
  13. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

I do want to apologize for being snide. It's just that I worked in Salem (for the City) for over 28 years and to call it a less than positive experience is a massive understatement. I started with them in 1985, but Salem (especially the bureaucracy) was stuck in the early '60's. When I left in 2013, they were just creeping into the 21st Century......and they finally figured out their riverfront was an asset to be developed, instead of an industrial blight to be ignored. Maybe someday there will be an actual "there" there.........

riverman, Phatguysrule and Shaboid like this.
  14. SlyPokerDog

Do you remember Don and the Tahiti Room? One of my best friends went to Western Oregon State so we'd drive into Salem to party since Monmouth was dry. Everything would be closed except for the Tahiti room. Good times.

15. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

Nope. Never did the Tahiti Room. The Keizerbrau was more our speed. Or Flight 99 after a night on graveyard shift. Nothing like pints and naked women at 8:30 in the morning........but I had a 30 mile drive one way, so I never did a whole lot of partying after work.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  16. Shaboid

No need to apologize. Unlike some here I'm more that willing to acknowledge the good and bad of the place I live. I've resided all across this beautiful state, extending from Scappoose in the north, Corvallis in the south, spending occasional summers in Central Oregon and just like anywhere there were tradeoffs. I totally understand the bureaucracy aspect around here, but my main issue now that I'm living in west Salem is the MFing bridge. I agree they haven't utilized their waterfront well enough, but there has been some development. The new amphitheater should be used more, but right now I think the only thing they do is "movie in the park" BS. Book a headliner and maybe I'll go down there, but right now there isn't much incentive.

17. SlyPokerDog

MONKEYPOX IN OREGON! MONKEYPOX IN OREGON!

:NOTMARIS: :NOTMARIS:

18. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

Does it affect dogs?

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  19. SlyPokerDog

Mrs @THE HCP better hope it doesn't.

HailBlazers likes this.
  20. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.