Movies you've seen recently and have enjoyed?

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by PDXFonz, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Yeah, because everyone stereotypes sheep as evil criminal masterminds.

2. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    You just saw that for the first time!?

3. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    Nope. For about the fiftieth. It just came out on Netflix a few days ago, and I hadn't seen it in a long time.

4. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    "Where the white women at?"
    "You know - morons."
    "Where's my froggy?"

Also: first on-screen flatulence in cinema history. Truly a classic. And co-written by Richard Pryor!

BlazerWookee likes this.
  5. Elton

Elton Well-Known Member

I can't wait for 'Trainspotting 2' next week.

Choose life!

6. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Just watched Videodrome for the first time. Disappointing. But there was an extra on the Blu-Ray that had Cronenberg, John Landis and John Carpenter discussing the movies they were making at the time and it caused me to rewatch The Thing, so it all worked out for the best. Also ordered a new copy of American Werewolf because of Landis.

Elton likes this.
  7. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Read an AMA with McGregor - he says he can recite that speech from memory to this day.

Elton likes this.
  8. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

Watched Arrival the other day. Not bad, not what I was expecting and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Was an interesting philosophical movie. Intriguing as not too long ago I found myself debating the same philosophy this movie touched on, albeit in a different yet similar way than I was debating.

For those who have seen it -
    Not sure how I feel about the plausibility of everything that happened in the movie. For some reason I feel like humanity would never get as far as they did in the movie. Trump and China would probably nuke those things the second they appeared in our atmosphere. I do however agree that as far as the exploration of space goes, we will never be able to do so to our potential as long as we are not all on the same page and together globally. Perhaps why the aliens needed to get the humans together so that in 3000 years they could be advanced enough to travel to wherever this race of beings is located and in need of help.

Chris Craig likes this.
  9. Elton

Elton Well-Known Member

My favorite horror movie of all time. Have that remastered edition blu-ray too.

Unfortunately, it looks like Max Landis (Jon's son) is currently re-making the original. Ugh.

"Beware the moon, lads."

10. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I was disappointed. But that's probably because I don't really enjoy a ton of gratuitous swearing and gore. Good story, but I wasn't a fan of the execution.

11. Blazer4ever

Blazer4ever Finding a Way BANNED

Agricolture
    I watched Pulp Fiction for the first time the other day. At first I kinda struggled with the violence and intensity but after watching the entire movie I think it's a true masterpiece, one of the most impressive movies I've seen

PDXFonz, Elton, SlyPokerDog and 3 others like this.
  12. BlazerWookee

Gear Finisher
    The part of Sheriff Bart was written for Richard Pryor, but he blew (well, snorted) the opportunity...

13. BlazerWookee

Gear Finisher
    Just finished Ken Burns' Civil War again. Absolutely brilliant. I still get choked up listening to Daisy Turner recite poetry.

MarAzul likes this.
  14. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
  15. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I saw Arrival in theaters awhile back. Being used to movies where Aliens come, turn out to be hostile and invade our planet, I came in with assuming it would be more of the same. I was wrong. Arrival is a deeply philosophical film. I understand and agree with your assertion that humanity probably wouldn't have got as far as they did in communicating with one another and working out that the aliens were not in fact hostile, but trying to bring humanity together and advance our technology. I think the film is a commentary on that very question. It investigates who were are as a people, shows us that the things that divide us, our language and culture will destroy us if we are not careful. The reason they did make it so far is due to a single plot device, the fact the main character played by Amy Adams can see into the future, and is able to use what she sees in order to convince China not to push the button. It is highly unprobable of happening out here beyond the silver screen, but hey reality doesn't sale anymore.

16. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    I never could sit through a complete showing of Blazing Saddles. Just can't take it, overload!

17. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Just saw Logan the other day. It is one of the best in the wolverine series so far in my mind. Well Written. I'd recommend it. I was disappointed by a few plot points, but I left happy I chose watching it over Kong.

Below are huge spoilers. If you have not watched the film, I wouldn't read any further.

That said, for those who have seen it, it was also incredibly sad. I was not horribly surprised that Professor Xavier died, though I found it an interesting choice and a bit uncomfortable that they made him his character senile. I liked that they gave Wolverine a lab created daughter, and thought she was pretty bad ass, taking after daddy. I do think that there was too much time spent on running from the bad guys, and not getting more info on this company that was creating new mutants to form an army. Why? How exactly are they planning to use them? I know they failed with the children mutants as they couldn't erase their empathy and so couldn't create killers out of them. I liked how they made an evil wolverine clone, but Old Logan didn't stand a chance. He was dying the whole movie and ultimately was killed by evil Wolverine before his daughter beat him with a special bullet. Is Logan/Wolverine really dead? No after the credits scene? The children mutant's powers were horribly underused. They did band together to defeat the wannabe bad guy with the metal hand, who never made much of himself or did anything with that bionic hand. I don't like when movies are made leaving things out to pave way for sequels, if your going to tell a story, tell a story.

18. BlazerWookee

Gear Finisher
    Seriously? I've watched it straight through three times in a row, lol...

19. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Nope, can't take that sort of lunacy very long. That movie is a major dose.

20. Nate

Nate #itsokaytobewhite #wakandaforever BANNED

Just watched "Accidental Courtesy" it's a documentary on Netflix.

Everyone should watch it.