Movies you've seen recently and have enjoyed?

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by PDXFonz, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

The Bible mentions dogs 14 times. It doesn't mention a cat once.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  2. bodyman5000 and 1

bodyman5000 and 1 Lions, Tigers, Me, Bears

Yeah and he was one of the best parts.

3. Cippy91

Cippy91 Habitual Line Stepper

Here’s the thing. The soundtrack is amazing. I say that because I’m a hip hop fan and Kendrick Lamar and his group TDE did it. I’m glad black kids have a superhero that represents them. However I am so sick of the industry these days praising every movie or show that hasn’t an all black cast. I think most movies in 2017 and even 2016 sucked. All the good writing and ideas are in tv shows now, most movies are pretty garbage. I remember watching moonlight thinking wow this has great cinematography but what are people talking about? Why do they think this movie is good? It wasn’t. It wasn’t the same with get out. I didn’t understand the love of that movie. I thought it was mediocre. Fast forward to black panther. I have been hyped for this movie for a couple years. To be honest as soon as I saw the media saying this movie was so great that they went and saw it again, that was a bad sign for me. That’s an agenda right there. It’s one of the worst marvel movies out there. I would rather watch the second season of iron fist and how terribly the characters of Danny rand is played then watch another black panther movie. Deadpool and Logan were different. They went outside the typical hero plot that all marvel movies do and did something new or
    Impactful. Black panther was pure trash though. It doesn’t even pass as a mediocre marvel movie.

bodyman5000 and 1 likes this.
  4. bodyman5000 and 1

Yep. Moonlight sucked. Get Out was interesting but meh. The recent one with the young girl and Jackie from Roseanne was your average low budget independent movie but somehow it was mind blowing for people.

5. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    Movie I just watched on video the other night was Den of Thieves with Gerard Butler. Good action flick.

6. bodyman5000 and 1

Yep, decent movie. Nothing groundbreaking but well done.

7. CupWizier

retired
    Yeah, I don't go to the theater anymore to watch movies as there are so many clunkers put out so I just wait for the DVD release. I have a nice 7.1 surround sound set up so it gives you a similar aspect sound wise and with redbox sending me codes every week makes for a cheap investment. It's insane what they charge at the theater now days.

8. bodyman5000 and 1

Haven't been to the theater since we got the projector. 2 bucks a movie to rent them if you don't have a code. Wife gets tons of Redbox codes too.

Wish more movies had Dolby Atmos and the little demonstration at the beginning. My dog looks around the room following the sound. It is great.

9. Cippy91

Cippy91 Habitual Line Stepper

I think movies overall are just pretty meh these days. I think all the talented writers are in television whether it be hbo or Netflix originals. I was hyped for Christopher Nolan’s last movie Dunkirk because he makes good movies and is one of my favorites but to be honest I thought it was boring. Cinematography wise it was great but other than that it was boring.

10. bodyman5000 and 1

Exactly. Dunkirk was amazing. And boring.

Cippy91 likes this.
  11. CupWizier

retired
    I use to love the Dolby THX intro and would use it to demo my system. The new Dolby Atmos is also incredible and shakes my house.

12. bodyman5000 and 1

Got a sub at each end of couch. Had to keep running outside while playing the last Mad Max movie and adjust the levels so it won't bother my neighbors. Luckily the house is pretty well insulated.

13. CupWizier

retired
    lol, I can relate but my issue was the WAF I had to deal with. She would go crazy when the Dolby intro would play and then if there were any explosions. My system upstairs does pretty good for a small system as I have NHT LRC and then a small M&K sub. The Snell system downstairs is where the monster sound comes from as it's a full 7.1 system with a big M&K sub in a modest size room and a Pioneer plasma.

14. CupWizier

retired
    Yeah, Dunkirk didn't live up to the hype as it did move slowly but it was at least pretty well done

bodyman5000 and 1 and Cippy91 like this.
  15. bodyman5000 and 1

You got a Kuro I think they were called? Those things are still very desirable I think. I loved plasma over lcd but they didn't look as good at Costco or Best Buy.

My theater should be sponsored by Fry's promo codes. I tried to keep it around 2 grand for everything. Think I had a thread about it.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  16. bodyman5000 and 1

Ahh, it was in this thread. Your gear sounds good by the way, generally I figure if I haven't heard of it then it has to be good stuff.

http://www.sportstwo.com/threads/home-theaters-of-s2.135047/page-12

17. CupWizier

retired

Thanks for the link as I browsed real quick and some nice systems in there. I am of the budget conscious as well and look for the bargains. Most of my stuff is getting on the older side now, but with speakers, they never really go out of date and my Pioneer Elite receiver was second from the top of the line several years ago and still kicks out some great sound. I stopped playing the upgrade game as it was getting expensive to continually get the new gear. Same with computers and phones. As an example, my upstairs bedroom system consists of:

40" Samsung LCD smart TV paid $20 (owner thought it was broke)

Denon Surround Sound Receiver paid $30

Set of 3 LCR NHT speakers $50

M&K sub $40

PS3 for blu ray and gaming $30

Not a bad little budget system for $170

18. bodyman5000 and 1

I almost bought a PS4 a few weeks ago but when I had my PS3 I played Battlefield 3 for 2000 hours......

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  19. CupWizier

retired
    lol, I'm not a gamer and got my first PS3 many years ago because it was the best blu ray player available and as cheap as the stand alones. Now days you can pick up a cheap blu ray player so I sold my original PS3 fat boy and got a stand alone but this sweet deal for a used ps3 slim came along for $30 so I figured why not. My son has been a gamer and had a PS3 as well then got an Xbox 360 and now has the PS4. My gaming days date back to the Colecovision, then Nintendo, Super Nintendo and the Nintendo 64. Loved Mario Kart and the Super Mario games were fun.

20. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

Anyone see Deadpool 2 yet?