Movies you've seen recently and have enjoyed?

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by PDXFonz, Aug 8, 2015.

1. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

I just saw that last night. It was surprisingly well done. 8/10. Perfect movie for this fucked up year.

2. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

Yup. Enjoyed it as well. Hard to find a non pleasant Samberg project, honestly.

3. SlyPokerDog

Also I enjoy everything that JK Simmons does. Great character actor!

VanillaGorilla and andalusian like this.
  4. Stevenson

Stevenson Old School

Writer
    Yes. Did you see him in Whiplash? Wow!

VanillaGorilla and SlyPokerDog like this.
  5. SlyPokerDog

He was great in that.

I first remember seeing him play a white supremacist on Homicide Life on the Streets. He jumped off the screen.

Then his role on Oz was amazing. He really can nail any genre.

Stevenson likes this.
  6. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

UncleCliffy'sDaddy We're all Bozos on this bus.

Since I’m tired of trying to find the “Movies You’ve Recently Seen“ thread......and this has to do with movies.......I bought a new iPhone this week and they threw in Apple TV free for a year. I’m not particularly impressed with it for various reasons but I did get to watch “Greyhound” with Tom Hanks. Outstanding! I’ve read a great deal about the Battle of the Atlantic over the years and Hanks hit a home run with this film. Highly recommended. Apple TV, not so much.

7. SlyPokerDog

Greyhound was good. Did you notice that Tom Hanks wrote the screenplay for that.

The reboot of Amazing Stories on Apple TV is really well done. Only 4 episodes but hopefully there will be more.

Chris Craig likes this.
  8. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I think the title is "The Promise" on Netflix with Christian Bale...true story about Armenian genocide in Turkey in the early 1900s...brilliant film that sheds a lot of light on Turkey and the Kurds ..highly recommended..great acting and cinematography

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  9. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Bill and Ted Face The Music

It was most excellent

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  10. ABM

ABM Happily Married In Music City, USA!

Commercial Real Estate
    That's cuz he's seen a thing or two.

I remember one of his older movies....Whiplash. Man, talk about dark and intense! I was in high school band, so I took interest. I can't imagine his character being a music instructor of mine.

11. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    That's a great movie because of it's entertainment value. Now you need to watch the sequel, Kingsman - The Golden Circle.

12. VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla Well-Known Member

Hubie Halloween was very bad. I hope all of you have better sense than me and weren't even considering watching it. But if for some reason you were.. just don't do it.

GriLtCheeZ and SlyPokerDog like this.
  13. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I watched it. Wasn't that good, but I enjoyed it.

I want one of those Swiss army thermoses

14. Chris Craig

Just saw Tenet. A mind fuck so big the actors don't know what is going on.

Not sure John David Washington was believable as "The Protagonist"

Kenneth Branagh was excellent

15. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

This is why I don't want to see it. Waste of time. Everybody I've talked to about it, have NO clue what it was about.

stampedehero likes this.
  16. Chris Craig

I know what it is about. The beginning doesn't draw the viewer in...its discombulating. Things don't make sense till you get further in. Its a story that untangles and unweaves itself as it tangles and weaves itself.

At the end you get it, there is some linear sense to it, but it is hard to buy because so much is left unexplained and untouched.

Here is what is about

It is about about finding the source of a weapon that can invert/reverse the past that was created in the future but is being used in the present which is the past. The Protagonist must find it in order to stop its creation and stop WWIII/an apocalypse/the end of the world.

The "Protagonist" (Washington) proves his loyalty to Tenet the group bent on stopping this thing. He works along side Robert Pattenson as they discover bad guy Kenneth Branagh is the one using the reversal weapon, but as it turns out, he is inverted/in reversal and doesn't have it yet, but the protagonist unknowingly gets it and gives it to him, as he blackmails Branaghs wife to get close to him, as Branagh uses his wife as leverage who the Protagonist apparently has fallen in love with to force the protagonist to give it to him.

The Protagonist figures this out just in time, and that Branagh is going to kill himself and destroy the algorithm of the weapon leaving an inverted and linear world on a crash course that will end everything because he is dying and if he can't have the world, no one can.

The wife is shot and dying. The only way he can save her and the world is invert himself using one of Branaghs teo or three machines (the weapon). So, the protagonist inverts himself going backwards going back through the movie as it occurred, fighting himself in the process, saving the wife, and getting the algorithm before it can be destroyed before Branagh kills himself. Which he does with the help of a reanimated corpse who sacrifices itself allowing the protagonist and Pattinson to save the algorithm, as the inverted pissed off wife kills Branagh not letting him die without knowing he failed.

The Protagonist then learns that animated corpse was his partner Pattinson who is actually from the future and they haven't met yet. Pattinson has to go back in and go the opposite way in time so that he can sacrifice himself, but will see the protagonist soon anyway and have a long friendship because everything that happened is actually just beginning. The Protagonist has successfully made it into Tenet, which isn't created yet, but will be created in the near future by the protagonist who was the head of Tenet the whole time and Pattinson and everyone saving the world worked for.

The Protagonist created Tenet, created the Weapon which got in the wrong hands. He insures his younger self is recruited into Tenet which he later creates in order to go after Branagh to stop him and save the world.

17. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    Watched 1917, great movie about the horrors of war.

stampedehero and Stevenson like this.
  18. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

Watched "Death becomes her" for the first time a few days ago.

Its so ridiculous, hilarious... I was entertained, not sure I need to see it again but it was good. The cast is legendary. Maryl Streep, Goldie Hawn, Bruce Willis.

Ingrid Bergman's daughter Isabella Rossellini

19. Chris Craig

Great movie

PDXFonz likes this.
  20. Chris Craig

Just watched Unhinged. Russell Crowe is crazy

stampedehero likes this.