Moving up for Clingan?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by AquaXI, Jun 3, 2024.

1. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

I've been thinking (and this has nothing to do with Klingan) but if the Hawks want to continue to build around Trae... if that's the decision they've made, then pick 7, Tisse, Rob Williams and the least favorable of our 3 2029 FRPs would be a pretty great return for them for the first pick in this draft, maybe just Tisse, Rob, 7 and 40 would get it done. If they're sticking with Trae then they need defenders with experience. Both Tisse and Rob would fit into the Collins TPE when using their 2023-24 salaries which is still an option. We get Sarr who I like starting at the 4 with Deandre at the 5 like JJJ did with Adams for a while in Memphis.

2. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

Another Blazer homer scenario... that's a horrible return for Atlanta.

3. blazerkor

In this draft? I know we have a difference of opinion on both Tisse and Timelord. I think they both have positive value, maybe either guy isn't worth an unprotected FRP but together they're probably worth close to that, then you have the lowest of three picks in the 2029 draft guaranteed to convey and they're only moving back six spots.

If they value two win now rotation guys and the guarantee of another FRP, I don't see why they wouldn't move back six spots in this draft unless they're really in love with Sarr or Risacher.

4. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    ESPN doesn't see Clingan falling past 3:

upload_2024-6-11_11-59-46.png

5. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Apparently what they really want is Mikal Bridges. Could we sell them on Jerami as a poor man's version? Is he "top flight"?
    upload_2024-6-11_13-25-27.png

6. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

The Blazers got one unprotected pick for Jrue and one unprotected pick for Dame. So you think an injured Timelord and Thybulle on an overpaid deal are worth the same.

Yes that's a delusional homer.

STOMP, RR7 and Pritchslap Madness like this.
  7. blazerkor

I think that first of all Rob is likely cleared for contact since we saw him dunking like two months ago. Obviously he comes with health concerns or he'd be worth more than a first rounder on his own with the production he brings when healthy. You keep saying that Tisse is overpaid but it was a contract that another team offered him that will be less than the MLE this off season. So yeah I think they're pretty close to being worth a FRP if you want to squabble about if that pick would have protections on it or not and what they might be, go for it.

Straight up all that I'm saying is that a future first that is guaranteed to convey, Rob and Tisse are worth moving up from 7 to 1 in this draft... not in last year's draft or the year before and so on but given what this draft class looks like and the parity of talent, there is a possibility that a future first guaranteed to convey even if it's likely to be late in the 2029 draft might be enough to move up six picks in this draft. I think both Rob and Tisse have value. I don't think any of those statements makes me a homer.

8. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

If any team offered a first for either Rob or Tisse, protections and all, they would be gone by now. I'm quite confident of that.

9. blazerkor

The idea is they'd be worth a first together... to the right team and if the Hawks want to contend with Trae (which I don't even know if they are going in that direction) then I could see them wanting both guys off the bench. Hell I think that Tisse might be a really good fifth starter in the back court next to Trae.

10. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Now we have reports of the Hawks hosting Clingan for a private workout.

Who the hell is this kid's agent? These secret workouts aren't really that private.

BIG Q likes this.
  11. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

I think it's more than just an agent. I think Clingan is better than advertised and he has the mentality to work very hard to improve. I also think this about Edey if the truth were known.

BIG Q likes this.
  12. BIG Q

BIG Q Well-Known Member

Have you tried to hide a 7'2 center walking through an airport and then hustled into an Uber? Tricky business.

13. Samuel

Samuel James “Hollywood” Robinson

Portland is the only team hosting 'public' workouts AFAIK. Private is the new normal, it sounds like.

14. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Vecenie said Clingan projects to be a top 10 center.

Andrew Bogut was named as a possible comp.

15. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Clingan is the player with the highest floor. He's 100% not going to be Anthony Bennett. He certainly doesn't have as high a ceiling as other players, but the bust potential in this draft is HIGH, so Clingan is a safe harbor.

42N8Bounce likes this.
  16. beast crnjo

beast crnjo Well-Known Member

He reminds me of Joel Pryzbilla offensively. His 50% FT shooting is a good indication that he's never going to have much offensive skill. Players like Joel and Chris Dudley are useful, but not worth a top draft pick. I'm not seeing a defensive juggernaught either. He got dominated by Edey, whose skill supposedly will not translate against "NBA centers"

brooklynballer and BIG Q like this.
  17. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Nah, I think Knecht's floor is higher.

18. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Absolutely disagree if we're talking on/off stats. Just by the nature of the position, a good defensive center is so much more important than a good shooting wing. Even today, with all the Rudy Gobert hate.

I mean, better Walker Kessler than, say, Doug McDermott (another "can't miss" shooter).

AmirIcon likes this.
  19. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I am not advocating for drafting Knecht at 7, but you got to admit he is pretty athletic. Not all shooting wings are.

20. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Granted he's no Adam Morrison. But I think the bust potential with him is higher than people think. I think they're focusing on him being 23 and thus ready to plug-and-play. But (a) he only had one year of top-level college ball, and (b) he was the focus of the offense in a way he's not going to be even on as shitty an NBA team as Portland. I'm much more interested in players like Tristan da Silva or Baylor Schleierman (?) who've shown they can be (in the latest ubiquitous jargon) a "connecting piece," because that's what they'll be in the NBA. The optimistic view is Dan Majerle, but Majerle was a hard-as-nails hockey-playing all-Defense guy. Is Knecht that guy?