Murphy or Foyle at center?

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by mylie10, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Culperfect

Culperfect JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting mylie10:</div><div class="quote_post">If I could do anything to improve our already great roster, I'd go after Brevin Knight to back up Diddy just in case.</div>
    It would be nice, but Knight agreed to terms with the Bobcats, out of loyalty. All the more reason it would be nice, huh?
    I totally agree that Diogu will play a large role in this whole situation. I also believe that regardless of Diogu's progress, Coach Montgomery will continue to sort of mix and match, based on his opponent.
    I've heard nothing but good things about Diogu and his wing-span is nuts (over 7') for a guy his height. If he can learn to spread those branches, he could very well end up as a tiny center/forward.

2. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Welcome, culperfect.

Actually, this something I wanted to say to everyone in general about Diogu replying to the criticism that he was too small to play forward. He said it's the same old song and he was mentioning Ben Wallace as a 6'8-6'9 power forward that is so effective because of his hustle and heart. He didn't mention the fact that Big Ben has the strength, length and basketball smarts that he can get away with playing center. The difference is Ben Wallace is a highly athletic player, in a smaller conference, while Diogu is not nearly the athlete. But, Diogu is probably just as strong or stronger than Ben Wallace pound for pound, has good reaction time, understands the game, and is incredibly long, not to mention has a lot more skills from the free throw line, shooting, and scoring inside. Both have huge wingspan and that plays a part of how Diogu will be able to play bigger than he is. It's not like Diogu is slow to react or is uncoordinated. I think his impact will be limited to the players around him though and he'll have to get the referees respect. He got called for a lot of bogus charges in SL once he pushed somebody off the block.

Mylie, I think the main concerns said about Diogu (Kwan and I included) is that Diogu has never faced nba competition at the highest levels. If one is struggling some games at the summer league level, it starts to indicate that he may have trouble with bigger lineups with offense and defense against the 6'10 250-260 lb players in addition to the lighter power forwards that play away from the basket and shoot and dribble like a guard. Personally, I think he'll do fine after some adjustment to his team and the competition that's out there. As aggressive, highly polished, tough, mentally focussed players do, they will succeed. We've never had a big low post guy that can draw fouls, shoot from outside, rebound, and block shots like Diogu. So I am excited to have him, but will be curious as the coaches to see how he can bang with all of the big boys. Summer league don't really mean anything, but we still use it to evaluate our talent and judge whether some players can prove in 5 or 6 games whether they deserve a shot at the NBA.

I'm pretty pumped up to have a player of that kind for once, but this year I think he will be screwed if the refs aren't calling it for him or he's having problems adjusting like Marcus Fizer did even with all that strength, athleticism. Fizer is okay now, but didn't he fall out of the league?

Diogu is his own type of player (IMO very different from undersized power forwards that failed in the league) and I think however he adjusts to what's out there, he'll still be a good role player at the worst, an impact player at the best. I think if he ever does suck, we're going to get hell for it if Green, Bynum or Granger were the guys to go with.