Music: Your flavor of the month?

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Fez Hammersticks, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Road Ratt

Road Ratt King of my own little world

2. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I just dusted off my old Captain and Me by the Doobie Bros CD....the seventies..they really knew how to arrange a song in those days...their rhythm section is as good as it gets..I recommend the whole thing in sequence but here's the ending medley

ripcityboy, lawai'a and Road Ratt like this.
  3. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

4. lawai'a

lawai'a Well-Known Member

riverman likes this.
  5. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Jahwaiian music is alive and well I see!

lawai'a likes this.
  6. lawai'a

it is! we get 3 local stations of it here in kona alone. plus KAPA for the ol'timey kine.
    partial to 'stick figure' though, that fella' has skills.

riverman likes this.
  7. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Somewhere I have an old Hapa CD that Stephen Stills played on...great recording. Also have an old slack key album by Gaby Pahinui

lawai'a likes this.
  8. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    I took Hawaiian guitar lessons for about half a year when I was learning to play guitar. It's amazing but the key vamps aren't really that many, it's the amount of different tunings and how you can combine them. It's truly addictive music. Ry Cooder probably added to the popular music lexicon beter than anybody alive. Hawaiian slack key playing is all over Chicken Skin Music. I wish I'd kept up with the genre more but as usual, so much music out there. I'll try to give it a try again.... any recommendations

riverman likes this.
  9. riverman

riverman Writing Team

This just kills me everytime I see it...this girl can kick ass on bass but Jeff Beck is in my view the greatest tonal guitarist to ever play the instrument...this is why they invented a whammy bar and a volume knob on electric guitars

10. lawai'a

his music will be missed

riverman likes this.
  11. riverman

riverman Writing Team

This guy has a ton of videos and takes it nice and slow...he tunes to open G which is what I always used to do...Keith Richards actually uses the same tuning without a low e string on electric guitar...you can do a lot of music with two finger chords

12. riverman

riverman Writing Team

13. ripcityboy

self employed
    Sadly my playing days are over. I suffered from fainting spells for a few years and fell into a wall, damaging my left hand. So finger style is pretty much over. Not a big loss, though. I still like listening to finger style acoustic music though. John Fahey's "The Transfiguration Of Blind Joe Death" album is a revelation. So sad that he died in obscurity in Salem Hospital. There should be a monument to him somewhere in this state for his contributions to American roots and blues music. It's amazing how shitty seminal artists are treated in this country.

MARIS61 and riverman like this.
  14. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I had two early John Fahey albums in the early 70's...he was the slowest guitarist I'd ever heard..haunting acoustic blues guy...loved his version of Pork Pie Hat..I never heard any later stuff of his..I think Fahey's heroin habit led him to obscurity like many of the old blues, jazz and folk players.

ripcityboy likes this.
  15. ripcityboy

self employed

One of my favorite Aretha Franklin songs. Aretha's studio band at Atlantic was a group called "The Dixie Flyers." Which was chocked full of some of the best Memphis session musicians. One of which was Southern famous producer/storyteller Jim Dickinson. He played keyboards on the album while his best friend Charlie Freeman, a enigmatic guitar virtuoso who'd help teach Steve Cropper to play. Charlie played until beautifully on When The Battle is Over and Don't Play That Song. But his drinking problems was too far gone and he said to Jim, "I'm gunna go play acoustic in the vocal booth." Which was code he was gonna pass out.
    Jim was like, "Fuck Charlie. Whatever! And on a Aretha Franklin session!" So Jim picked up Charlie's guitar and played on the this song, hoping no one would notice. Dickinson said that Aretha had the biggest ego of any artist he'd work with but she could inspire you the play a tuba! Charlie died a few years after the recording and got credit for Jim's guitar playing. The Dixie Flyers and Aretha inspired themselves to maybe her greatest recording.

Road Ratt, MARIS61 and riverman like this.
  16. riverman

riverman Writing Team

dude you need to get a banjo!..all you need for most country blues banjo is one or maybe two fingered chords....three if you get fancy.especially for just a four string banjo...lot of people with hand injuries switch to banjo without much trouble..5 string is tuned just like Hawaiian Slack Key or Keith Richards 5 string telecaster..open G

ripcityboy likes this.
  17. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Being Aretha's guitar player was always the gold standard of gigs to me...my favorite gigs were compin' behind a belt it out female vocalist.

18. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I study this cat's guitar lessons on Southern Soul playin' often....Tony Mowatt...he has over 550 of them but all are 4-6 years ago ….by the looks of his ash tray there I hope he made it

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    Road Ratt likes this.
  19. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
  20. ripcityboy

self employed

I always thought rock music owed BIll Harkleroad a huge debt of gratitude. He totally freed blues based rock from basic 4/4, standard city blues that bands like Foghat and ZZ Top championed. That's wonderful and all, but sometimes you want to hear shit that doesn't sound like anything else. When John Frusciante joined Red Hot Chili Peppers, he brought that clear toned, reverb drenched, Strat based lead work with ultra-aggressive picking & slide and it helped sell a billion records. But that angular based playin all started from Zoot Horn Rollo (aka Bill Harkleroad) in the Magic Band.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    riverman likes this.