My 2 cents

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by SirLaker, Apr 26, 2008.

1. #1_War_Poet_ForLife

#1_War_Poet_ForLife The Baker of Cakes

Why do we have a golf forum?

2. Really Lost One

Really Lost One Suspended

^I like that idea.

Just have a section for Basketball, Football, Baseball, Soccer, and Hockey (?), and then make a section for Other Sports. I don't see the need to have so many forums for every different sport. Especially since most of the forums seem pretty dead to me...

3. Brand New

Brand New so wavy

nascar? LMAO

4. Big Frame

Big Frame Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bynumite @ Apr 27 2008, 12:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>nascar? LMAO</div>

Some people like it.

5. SirLaker

SirLaker BBW MOD

So no discussion on this? Denny?

6. cpawfan

cpawfan Monsters do exist

What more discussion do you want on this?

Things don't happen instantaneously and there are other discussions going on at higher levels.

7. cpawfan

cpawfan Monsters do exist

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SirLaker @ Apr 27 2008, 12:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Seriously...treating all sports equally? Kind of ridiculous. Why not get rid of Poker, nascar...all the unpopular stuff. There is no rule that it has to be every sport imaginable. I've seen make sports sites only do the common four of Basketball, Baseball, football, Soccer, and then "other sports."</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (#1_Yinka_Dare_Fan @ Apr 27 2008, 12:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Why do we have a golf forum?</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 27 2008, 12:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>^I like that idea.

Just have a section for Basketball, Football, Baseball, Soccer, and Hockey (?), and then make a section for Other Sports. I don't see the need to have so many forums for every different sport. Especially since most of the forums seem pretty dead to me...</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bynumite @ Apr 27 2008, 12:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>nascar? LMAO</div>

Thanks for the input, but we are going to treat all sports equally and not just limit ourselves to a few major sports.

8. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    IPB is a stopgap measure to tide us over until the next version of the S2 software platform is finished. Time frame is August or September, with NFL season (and NBA) being our target.

When S2 was founded, it was running on custom software, and the idea was to share the experience of developing the software and features with the community, using feedback to make things the way WE want them to be instead of how IPB or vBulletin has decided they should be.

The feedback we got is that people want a robust and fully functional site right away, and they want it now. Unfortunately, that's now how things work in the software game - look at how long it takes Microsoft to come out with new versions of their software (years). So we won't launch the new site until it is exactly that - robust and fully functional.

That said, there is a new version of the site under development that is pretty amazing. It's been shown to people in demo form already, and the response has been outstanding. Except for MikeDC who wants something radically different altogether [​IMG]

We don't have unlimited resources to throw at S2 at this point. So we're faced with the choice of spending a lot of time customizing IPB for short-term benefits or working on the new software to get it done as fast as possible. IPB just ain't worth it; it's pouring time and money into something that won't be useful in a few months.

I'll be posting screen shots of the new site at some point to get more feedback. Right now, it's early enough in development that tipping our hand would let bigger players throw more resources at beating us to launch.

I hope you appreciate all this and the dedication we're putting into revamping and vastly improving things. The thing about IPB or vB3 is that it's not something you can't get elsewhere. The new S2 will be something you can only get at S2.

If someone wants to volunteer to work on the IPB site, that's a whole different story. PHP, MySQL, IPB skinning and all those kinds of skills required.

9. JCB

JCB The Savage Nation

Student
    I've seen the upcoming version of the site. Believe me: it's worth the wait and definitely not something you've ever seen before.

10. MikeDC

MikeDC Member

Professor
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Denny Crane @ Apr 28 2008, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>IPB is a stopgap measure to tide us over until the next version of the S2 software platform is finished. Time frame is August or September, with NFL season (and NBA) being our target.

When S2 was founded, it was running on custom software, and the idea was to share the experience of developing the software and features with the community, using feedback to make things the way WE want them to be instead of how IPB or vBulletin has decided they should be.

The feedback we got is that people want a robust and fully functional site right away, and they want it now. Unfortunately, that's now how things work in the software game - look at how long it takes Microsoft to come out with new versions of their software (years). So we won't launch the new site until it is exactly that - robust and fully functional.

That said, there is a new version of the site under development that is pretty amazing. It's been shown to people in demo form already, and the response has been outstanding. Except for MikeDC who wants something radically different altogether [​IMG]</div>

Actually what I want is decidedly not radical. It's making things simpler and more flexible. [​IMG]

As far as the demo stuff, of course the response it outstanding. It's a demo. I could put together a 30 second YouTube clip of Chris Dudley and make him look awesome too. The things most people look at in demos simply aren't they same sort of things most people look at in every day use. [​IMG]

11. Master Shake

Master Shake young phoenix

I can wait for the new site and I think we should all. Denny I guess is working on a more personal type of forum which will be amazing.

12. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    I think we should start off with forums that are popular right now, such as the NFL and the NBA ones, and then open up more for other sports when the demand is there. No point having a clutter of forums with 5 posts in them.