my solution to the Blazers future

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by handiman, Feb 15, 2011.

1. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

Problem #1: Oden's future is a huge question mark lingering over the franchise. Can't give up on him but can't build around him...

Problem #2: Aldridge needs to play close to the rim to be at his best, which means a Camby-like complimentary big to defend/rebound and play the high post on offense.

Problem #3: Oden clearly is not the player to solve #2 and Camby doesn't have many years left.

Solution: Identify a long-term replacement for Camby, using Oden as very tantalizing trade bait. A big man without an overwhelming inside game is somewhat attainable, albeit not a dime a dozen... Okur and Love types, for example. (I'm not sure about Love's defense, but put him in a good team environment and he may be passable.) I'd have to give some thought to who else out there fits the bill. The point is, this sort of half skill set is reasonably likely to be moved if the price is right.

Oden might just be tempting enough for a team to pull the trigger on. Doing so makes us more balanced, building around Aldridge. The only concern then is the "what if" with Oden ... what if he stays healthy and blows up? Then we have to contend with him. But if we have 5+ years of 30/10 out of Aldridge and 10/10 out of a complimentary high post center, that seems like a risk worth taking.

2. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

LOL, 30/10 out of Aldridge. I laughed.

3. handiman

Wishful thinking, but not unrealistic if he merely maintains his recent level of play, let alone continues to improve.

4. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

The only big man to have done it in modern history is Shaq. I think it's pretty fair to say Aldridge won't average 30/10. LOL.

5. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I'm not opposed to dealing Oden, but I don't think LMA will average those kinds of numbers... maybe 25 and 10 but even that might be a little high.

I'm not sure how much value Oden has right now though. Who could even be considered available?

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=4qf39m9

That's the only young center that I might think could be available... and only because Washington sucks so bad and they'll probably be looking to add some pieces around Wall.

6. mgb

mgb Over-Nite Sensation

Ya, I don't think LA will average 10 rebounds a game.

7. Blazer4ever

Blazer4ever Finding a Way BANNED

Agricolture
    A big man I don't think I've ever seen play much (maybe because he's from the Sixers and we play them only twice a year) and doesn't play many minutes but his numbers per minute have always impressed me is Maresse Speights.
    Does anybody know anything about this guy? Why isn't he playing more? what's the 'catch' with this guy? and if there is no 'catch', what would it take for us to get him?

8. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

The premise of your post is sound. LMA does play better when he is in the low post, and Oden is not a high post player.

However if Oden can play (and if he can't his trade value is not going to get the player we need to put us at the next level) then we are better off with him. LMA can still get plenty of minutes down low when Greg sits, and because he is so versatile he can be effective with him on the floor.

There is no doubt that LMA numbers would go down a little if Greg and Roy make it back. (A huge "IF") But that's OK if we are winning.

At least we won't have to listen to the people on this board whine about Nate not running the offense through Greg. LMA was always a better option for that.

9. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think Anthony Randolph is worth the risk and could end up being a very solid complimentary player to a guy like LMA. He could end up a total bust because of his maturity issues, but he's also got some nice athleticism and he's got great size for a forward-center prospect. Go ahead and keep Oden and maybe you get 50-60 games/year out of him in a backup role, because I don't believe anybody is going to part with anybody of much value for him, just don't expect him to be any kind of keystone type player, anything he's able to give (assuming he's retained) is gravy.

10. Shooter

Shooter Unanimously Great

advertising
    Mt. St. Helens is going to blow up long before Oden does.

11. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

Do you really think Okafor or Kevin Love will make the Blazers championship contenders?

We had the black version of Kevin Love in Zach Randolph already.

Oden is our only chance barring a trade for a SUPERSTAR. We have to gamble he's going to be better.

12. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    This is my position. Like it or not, we have to roll the dice on GO.

13. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I agree he is worth the low risk. But I think Handiman was suggesting when he mentioned Okur and Love was that the Big in the High Post have an outside shot. Isn't that Anthony Randolph's weakness? What we need if Oden is unable to go is a young Brad Miller, Sabonis, or Vlade Divac type.

14. Shooter

Shooter Unanimously Great

advertising
    And pay him how much? His agent is probably going to ask for at least $7 million a year for 3 or 4 years. Is he worth it?

15. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

A. Chance Oden recovers and is good enough to make this team a contender - 10%
    B. Chance the Blazers get another piece by trading him/letting him expire and using the money on another piece to become a contender - 0.01%

Is it worth $7m a year to go from option A. to option B.?

I am going to suspect for Paul Allen that's a Yes.

16. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    I think so.

17. Enzo Aix

Enzo Aix Member

Yes, he is we pay Joel this type of money and Boone cries about that.

18. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Totally.

And it's a "yes" for me, which is all that really matters... right? :)

Ed O.

19. handiman

Two big differences:

1) Their numbers are similar, but they're totally different players. Zach would be redundant with the new Aldridge, while Love is very comfortable playing the high post and is a willing passer. I think he would fit very well alongside Aldridge on offense.

2) There wasn't a complimentary player like Aldridge to go alongside Zach, so there's no telling if that pairing could have been championship caliber.

I disagree with the first part. I think Aldridge has clearly established himself as having superstar potential. Whether he stays at this level remains to be seen. He has quickly established himself as the best offensive low post player in the league, and probably one of the three or four best F/C's overall (Howard, Dirk, Gasol...), which is basically superstar material. More importantly, though, Oden's potential to be a superstar is exactly why we might be able to get a better fitting piece of value back.

20. Ghost Pepper

Ghost Pepper Active Member

Oden will collect and destroy the rim with anything LA or for that matter any of our players miss off bad shots! He's also able to change the whole way an offense comes at us and can give LA longer rests when need be. I see no problem here!