Names FWIW

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Mediocre Man, Apr 12, 2022.

1. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Does anyone have any intel on what happened with Rui Hachimura last year? He had to take a mental health break but his production per 36 after he returned was consistent with his first two seasons. Defensive numbers aren't great, but he's got the body/athleticism to be better than he was on a Wizards team that didn't really prioritize that end of the floor.

He might not be a star, but I think he might be a serviceable roleplayer who could swing at 3/4. He's also due for his rookie extension next year but WAS already has invested in Kuzma/Avdija/Kispert. I think he might get squeezed.

Wonder if Washington would consider trading Rui + 10 for Keon + 7...

SharpesTriumph likes this.
  2. Freshtown

Freshtown Well-Known Member

I’m out on him. He’s a decent scoring forward but provides no D and can’t shoot 3’s. No play making either. Would rather give those min to Watford.

CJ_is_Gone likes this.
  3. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

He's also going to get paid after this season. If you don't seem him as a long term piece I don't see the point trying to get him.

And he's got a long way to go before he should be considered as a long term piece.

4. illmatic99

ya he doesn't seem to defend like you'd think he can with his physical attributes.

he shot nearly 45% from 3 last season on almost 3 attempts per game.

5. CJ_is_Gone

CJ_is_Gone Well-Known Member

Rui has 'heavy' feet. I don't think he'll ever be a good defender because of it.

Reminds me of AJ Griffen in a way. You look at them & think they 'should' be good defenders - but they always seem to be a step slow.

illmatic99 likes this.
  6. theprunetang

theprunetang Shaedon "Deadly Nightshade" Sharpe is HIM

Hard agree. Some people just move slower than others. Thems the breaks.

7. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

I really liked your post until the last sentence where you start throwing around the #7 pick.

I'm not sure why every idea of getting veterans here has to include giving up the best draft pick the Blazers have had in a decade.

Yes Hachimura seems like the type of young player the could be a good backup/emergency starter or possibly improve to more. I'm good with acquiring veterans like that. Think of how the Blazers add Rolo back in the day, or Wes Matthews, Ed Davis, or Pryzbilla, etc. The team gave up second round picks, MLE, etc, basically very little and got a legit backup/acceptable starter. Lets do the same, and later on after some of those additions work and the Blazers are only a move away from contending, THAT IS when you throw around lottery picks for the final piece to contend.

Duckhook likes this.
  8. illmatic99

moving down three spots in a draft is not the same as throwing around lottery picks, but OK. I was mostly trying to see if anyone knew what happened to Rui. Thought he had promise his rookie year.

9. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

His ppm are up, as is his PER. I’d like him for the right price