Nash to Boston - Amazing Deal by Gorton

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by RangersFan, Feb 25, 2018.

1. RangersFan

RangersFan Well-Known Member

OFFICIAL: #NYR[​IMG] have acquired a first-round pick in the 2018 NHL Draft, defenseman Ryan Lindgren, forwards Ryan Spooner and Matt Beleskey, and a seventh-round pick in the 2019 NHL Draft from the Bruins in exchange for Rick Nash.

2. RangersFan

That is an unreal return for UFA to be Nash. To get a first AND a very good top 4 potential dman like Lindgren AND Spooner AND a 7th round pick...wow.

Sounds like Boston retains some of Beleskey's cap hit. And Spooner is an RFA this summer, but I am sure we'll resign him.

3. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

The Rangers sure love their Ryans.lol Solid deal though.

4. panzerporter

panzerporter Well-Known Member

So much for the notion that the Rangers needed a hockey guy at the GM position. At least in these trades Gorton has been superior to Sather, will have to see if he's equally proficient in contract work.

RangersFan likes this.
  5. Disturbed

Disturbed Well-Known Member

Software
    Sounds like McDonagh is gone - He no showed Ratelle night and deleted his twitter account. I bet traded and we find out tomorrow.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  6. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

Should be an interesting next 14 hrs for the league in general. Wonder what kind of package Florida has. Maybe 1st, prospect, Bjugstad? I saw somewhere Torontos package for him sucked. Spooner looked solid in his 1st outing.

7. RangersFan

I have not read that anywhere about McDonagh. All I saw was this:

Ryan McDonagh, who was seriously being considered as a trade piece, missed his ninth straight game with an unspecified upper-body injury. Vigneault said he skated Sunday along with Kevin Shattenkirk (knee surgery) and Ondrej Pavelec (MCL sprain).

I hope you are right and he is traded today, that is a way to super jumpstart the reboot, but I still have my doubts he gets dealt. We'll find out within 8 hours or so.

8. RangersFan

Seems to me like a McDonagh deal, if it were to happen, would happen at the draft when more teams could be involved AND teams will be more comfortable trading away roster players. Downside is a team trading for him would only get 1 postseason run instead of the 2 they'd get now:

8:43AM: Elliotte Friedman tweets that the Capitals checked in on Ryan McDonagh but appear to have moved on.

8:41AM: Bob McKenzie said on TSN1050 this morning that "at this moment there is nothing for the Rangers to consider from anybody, Toronto or anyone else."
    He added, "that could change but there is a very real possibility" that guys stay put.

Larry Brooks tweeted on Sunday "The return for Nash seems fine for a rental winger...but needs to be significantly higher--including at least one premium young roster player or premium prospect, plus--in deal for McDonagh. Contenders won't want to trade top guy off roster so NYR may be better off keeping 27."