Nasir Little may be the SF of the future

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Freshtown, Jun 6, 2022.

1. blazerfan11

blazerfan11 Well-Known Member

That's exactly how I think of him too, as an impact player. A person has to actually watch the game to see it.

2. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

I see Nas having every bit , if not more, the trajectory for success that Ant is viewed as having. I've been against trading him. let him develop. When it's all said and done, not trading Nas might be the greatest move Joe has done to date. I totally see Nassir as our starting SF of today, tomorrow, and the future. Go Blazers!!

AmirIcon, PCmor7, Idog1976 and 2 others like this.
  3. BankTeller

BankTeller Well-Known Member

I think I’d even do 4 yrs/$60 to absolutely lock him in so he doesn’t think about betting on himself.

I think you just have to hope for the best with injuries like GSW did with Steph. I think he’s going to keep getting better, and maybe eventually be borderline elite, at playing defense and getting to and above the rim. I think he’s going to improve on his shot and decision making.

My fear is we don’t offer him anything and choose to wait till RFA, where he’ll sign for $20m+.

Idog1976 and illmatic99 like this.
  4. BankTeller

I don’t think it’s bad to have him come off the bench this year. I actually wonder if we said “the way the team in constructed, we need you on the bench because you’re the only guy with any experience on the roster that can play SF and PF, but we promise to start you full time starting next year, here’s 4 years/$__m”, he would take the deal.

5. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Fischer said the going rate for Cam Johnson is ~15/yr. Keldon Johnson from that same class got 20 per year. I think 12-15 is the range for Nas given what he's shown so far. It's above the full MLE and if we lace the offer with incentives, the team can make it worth his while rather than going fishing in RFA. But he's the exact kind of profile of player that every team is looking for.

Who knows the extent of negotiations with Ant last year, but I feel like we could have signed him for cheaper than 100 mil. Do we want that to happen again with Nas? His injury history is the risk obviously with any offer now, but it's one worth exploring.

BankTeller and HoopsFanAZ like this.
  6. HoopsFanAZ

HoopsFanAZ Well-Known Member

You’re in the ballpark. A healthy Nas at about $12 is arguable. Even if he’s not the SF desired for the Blazers, his value would help in trade to get that guy. The number one criteria with a 4 or 5th year team option that becomes guaranteed is “games played.”

Pinwheel1 likes this.
  7. BankTeller

That’s what will help in signing him for cheaper imo. Even if his shot never came around and he never becomes even a starter, dude who is an absolute bruiser going to the basket and good defender is a really good asset to have on the bench. He’s displayed nothing but good attitude so far, I don’t doubt his offense will improve. $12-15m/yr is worth the injury risk. If we’re that worried about Nas’ injury, offer 3 years instead of 4. But you need to lock him up for cheaper now.

PtldPlatypus likes this.
  8. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

I dont know? I think the team is counting on SS as the 3 of the future. I would get him extended if they can anyway.
    Ant and or Naz could be part of a trade before deadline.

9. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

If you're planning on trading Nas then you don't extend him for a lot more than he's making this season because then he becomes a poison pill contract and that can be difficult to trade.

BankTeller and Tince like this.
  10. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

With the 7th pick, I'd assume they are projecting him as a starter down the road. At least I would hope so!

11. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

AS a lethal scoring three that could happen sooner than later.

Tince likes this.
  12. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Even if they expect Sharpe to be the SFotF, Nas as a starting-caliber forward playing 30 mpg off the bench would absolutely be worth 12-15M

13. BankTeller

They’re definitely projecting him to be a starter. The question remains, will he be a starting SG or SF. Right now, my guess would be that the team is gearing him to the starting SG, his contract extension will be coming up around the time Dame is coming to the end of his contract or has decided on his future.

If Dame leaves, I think this team becomes Ant a PG, Sharpe at SG, Little at SF.

If Sharpe is good right away and shows his potential and can contributes right away, Little might get traded and Sharpe will be starting at SF for the foreseeable future.

My ultimate hope would be that he starts at SG eventually for us. I don’t know what would happen if both Sharpe and Little showed us they need to play 25+mpg, but that’d be a nice problem to have.

Tince and SharpeScooterShooter like this.
  14. BankTeller

Let’s be honest though, no one here really thinks a Nas extension gets done before the season starts.

It’s really just all wishful thinking imo.

PtldPlatypus likes this.
  15. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

I do

16. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

I think there are too many questions about sustainability with Nas to give him 12-15M/year; unless it's something like a 4 year deal with a team option in year 3

he does have a good TS%, but a lot of that is due to 2 things: a fairly high FT rate and shooting a decent percentage when he gets there; a quarter of his shots coming at the rim and a real high conversion rate. He really need to improve on his 3ptFG% though to take the next step. He's also a good rebounder for a SF and show some good defensive potential

so he does have some tools in his toolbox, they just aren't well developed. But of course, the major red flag is his injury history. Ih he can stay healthy, it might be a much different equation

and I agree...OG Anunoby somehow got significantly overrated around here and elsewhere

julius likes this.
  17. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    I agree. But it's no surprise that fans overrate a player, esp blazer fans.

BankTeller likes this.
  18. Wade Garrett

Wade Garrett Exactly right.

I strongly disagree.

19. BankTeller

The problem is if that improvement happens this year and he hasn’t been extended, he is going to cost way more than $12-15m/yr. He’ll likely be over $20m/yr.

Right now, I think player wise, Nas is like a bigger version of Dort. Dort got 5yrs/$87.5m contract being the second option on a bad team, so what could a healthy Nas do with 30mpg on a bad team. Dort also has only played 36/52/51 games the last 3 seasons compared to 48/48/42 for Little.

Some here were clamoring to trade down to get Dort before the draft, so those same people should want Nas even more because he is like Dort but at a position of need and will likely cost less.

One thing I love about Nas is his ability to finish through contract easily. That combined with his long wingspan, he should be even bother guys bigger than him with his physicality. If you get him locked up for 4 years at half of Jaylen Brown’s salary and he’s produces over half of Brown’s production, that’s a win.

BBert likes this.
  20. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

That's not really how it works. Two 15ppg players are not equally as valuable as one 30ppg guy. One 10ppg player is far less than half as valuable as a 20ppg player.