Nassir Little

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by AmirIcon, Dec 18, 2020.

1. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Maybe Melo wasn't happy about not playing in crunch time and dropped the 'contact tracing' excuse. Or the team just made it up.

Just spit-balling here. Don't spit them back at me ;)

I mean, hypothesizing the negative is what we do here. AMIRITE?

:cheers:

bobf likes this.
  2. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Haha. I saw Melo's name and thought the comment was about him. Wrong thread, LOL

Either way my negativity stands!!!

:cheers:

3. Eastoff

Eastoff But it was a beginning.

Your lungs are often shot after Covid. He could be out of NBA shape for most of the year. Give it up.

ehizzy3, BBert and Darkwebs like this.
  4. Darkwebs

Darkwebs Awakened to emptiness Staff Member Moderator

Sounds like Nas may be getting closer to returning

TBpup and Eastoff like this.
  5. Labinot41

Labinot41 Well-Known Member

I just hope he is okay and healthy, his health has long been a mystery

kjironman1, rotary111 and Eastoff like this.
  6. lawai'a

lawai'a Well-Known Member

https://theathletic.com/2296068/202...t-with-covid-19-hit-me-bad/?source=dailyemail

quick with a lengthy piece from interviews with Nassir little about what happened in the bubble and his recent bout with the covid and the severity of his condition during it.

"
    But during Thursday’s practice in San Francisco, where the Blazers will play Golden State on Friday, there was significance to the feat, because of what Little has gone through this month. On Dec. 1, as part of the NBA’s testing of players and staff, Little learned that he had contracted COVID-19.

It wasn’t until Dec. 22 that Little recorded his first negative test and was able to rejoin the team. In between, he experienced three weeks of hell.

“For me, I was on the worst part of the spectrum, the hard end of the disease,” Little said. “I didn’t have to go to the hospital or be on a ventilator, but I went through it bad. It hit me really bad. For about seven to 10 days, I was just really miserable.”

Although he is back around his teammates, Little is far from returning to a game. The virus ravaged his body. He lost 20 pounds. And his conditioning and strength are nowhere near where he needs to be to compete against NBA players.
    He says he doesn’t know where he contracted the virus. He said his family — his mom, dad and two sisters — flew in from Florida to Portland the day before Thanksgiving. The next day, the NBA began its daily testing. Little said he recorded negative tests until Dec. 1, when he and three other Blazers staff members tested positive. His father, Harold, and 23-year-old sister Kamaria also tested positive. His mother, April, and 26-year-old sister Sanasia tested negative.

“I tried to calculate where I caught it, and it’s impossible to really calculate,” Little said. “We had some staff members test positive, so I could have got it at the gym, and I could have given it to my dad and sister, or they could have had it and gave it to me when they came for Thanksgiving. Or, I could have touched something and rubbed my eyes … it’s impossible to know.
    His battle with COVID-19 is another chapter in a bizarre and trying first season with the Blazers, when it seemed like every time the first-round pick was turning a corner, he was thwarted by a fluke circumstance.What happened over the next 22 days was a personal hell that Little says he wouldn’t wish on anybody. He couldn’t eat. He couldn’t drink. He couldn’t watch television because of splitting headaches. From the Dec. 1 diagnosis until his first negative test on Dec. 22, he lost 20 pounds.

When the Blazers arrived at the Orlando bubble in July, one of the growing storylines on the team was the marked improvement of Little.

From the time the league was suspended in March until the Blazers started practicing again in July, coaches and players were talking about the noticeable difference in Little.

“I was getting a lot of work in, and improving at a pretty fast rate,” Little said. “I felt like I had a legitimate shot at playing significant minutes in the bubble. I felt like I had earned my keep.”

But on the eve of the team’s first scrimmage, during a transition drill during practice, Little went up to dunk. As he was airborne, a teammate tried to block his shot, and in the process, knocked Little off balance. He crashed to the floor.

“I just remember I hit the floor, and I hit my back, my elbow and my head at the same time,” Little said. “So I didn’t know what body part to rub first.”

He was diagnosed with a concussion and battled blurred vision in the days afterward. But as his head healed, it was also at work, too. He sensed the bubble was his opportunity. Trevor Ariza, the team’s starting small forward, opted out of the bubble to be with his family, opening up an opportunity for playing time. And with his dramatic improvement during the shutdown, Little felt this was his moment.

“I rushed myself back,” Little said.
    Less than two weeks later, at the end of a practice, he was playing three-on-three with Anfernee Simons, Jaylen Hoard, Wenyen Gabriel, Jaylen Adams and assistant coach Jannero Pargo.

“I was hoopin’, going crazy, getting buckets,” Little remembered. “Then I remember walking and the lights slowly started to get dim. And I was like, ‘Whoa.’ Then the next thing you know, it felt like I went to sleep. It felt like I jumped in bed and went to sleep.”

He fainted on the court, face first.
    In his first practice, he merely shot free throws. On Tuesday in Los Angeles he went live against a coach, posting up. On Thursday in San Francisco, he did a series of sprinting drills, and drills where he dunked.

When he came to, he was confused.
    After a bank of tests and bloodwork, it was determined Little suffered from dehydration. But he says his fainting had something to do with his concussion and coming back too soon from it.

“To rush myself back from the concussion was nobody’s fault but mine,” Little said. “Doctors can only go off my word, so it’s easy for a player to kind of finagle it in a sense to say whatever you need to say.”

In his first practice, he merely shot free throws. On Tuesday in Los Angeles he went live against a coach, posting up. On Thursday in San Francisco, he did a series of sprinting drills, and drills where he dunked.

“I am able to explode now,” Little said. “And I’m getting my wind back again.”

His return to games is weeks away. He says he doesn’t even want to think about a possible return, the memory still fresh of him rushing back from his concussion in Orlando.

“I don’t want to put a date on it, because I learned the last time I rushed myself,” Little said. “I’m just going to go with it. I definitely don’t want to just sit in this space of being in limbo, so I know I’m going to have to push through some discomfort at some point and take that jump. But for the most part, I’m just dealing with it, and doing what I have to do that day.”

As he inches back to normalcy, he wants to spread a word of caution. COVID-19 is real.

“Going through this, bruh … I’m telling everybody: Please be careful,” Little said. “I would not wish this on anybody, because that’s the worst I have felt in my life. And it is relentless, every day. Going to a party? It’s not worth it. Eating at a restaurant? It’s not worth what I just went through. Nothing is worth it. And the crazy thing is, it could have been worse for me. I’m fortunate I’m doing better and on the mend.”

7. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    I'm confused, genius's like Chad Doing said it didn't effect young athletes...

GoBlazersGo and BonesJones like this.
  8. lawai'a

lawai'a Well-Known Member

#kentae johnson
    the potentially enlarged heart condition is well documented

UKRAINEFAN likes this.
  9. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Quick has an article in today’s Athletic on Nasir Little’s rough battle with Covid-19. It hit him hard and it sounds like he’s going to be a long time getting back to game shape:

“For me, I was on the worst part of the spectrum, the hard end of the disease,” Little said. “I didn’t have to go to the hospital or be on a ventilator, but I went through it bad. It hit me really bad. For about seven to 10 days, I was just really miserable.”

Although he is back around his teammates, Little is far from returning to a game. The virus ravaged his body. He lost 20 pounds. And his conditioning and strength are nowhere near where he needs to be to compete against NBA players.”

“Going through this, bruh … I’m telling everybody: Please be careful,” Little said. “I would not wish this on anybody, because that’s the worst I have felt in my life. And it is relentless, every day. Going to a party? It’s not worth it. Eating at a restaurant? It’s not worth what I just went through. Nothing is worth it. And the crazy thing is, it could have been worse for me. I’m fortunate I’m doing better and on the mend.”

10. Labinot41

Labinot41 Well-Known Member

Very scary, wish him all the best

tykendo and GoBlazersGo like this.
  11. Voodoo

Voodoo An American hero

Project Manager
    I remember going through it exactly like this, I wish him well!

GoBlazersGo and Orion Bailey like this.
  12. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I feel bad for him, and I don't want to downplay what he went through, but I am not sure he was on the "hard end of the disease" if he did not have to go to the hospital. Did he even have respiratory issues.? He did not mention any. His symptoms sound like the vast majority of cases, mine included.......no hospital, and no ventilator needed. (7-10 days of hell and another 10 days of lingering issues)

"I am able to explode now,” Little said. “And I’m getting my wind back again.”

They should be cautious with him for sure but I bet he will be ready to play in another month.

Voodoo likes this.
  13. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

I was thinking 10 days to 2 weeks. The Blazers start a huge Home Stand on the 14th. 7 games here. I would think Little should be looking for that stretch of games?

14. Pinwheel1

Yeah I bet he could be ready by then, but if they don't need him they might as well give him extra time. Don't have him overexert.

15. kjironman1

I guess i just want melo on the bench?

Voodoo, TBpup and Wizard Mentor like this.
  16. kjironman1

Yeah it's on the "Nassir Little thread. The complete article.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  17. Pinwheel1

Love to see Giles get some minutes at the 4 with Kanter, Hood, Trent, and CJ

kjironman1 likes this.
  18. kjironman1

Gotta happen IMO. Collins is out for a while. Give Giles some run. Even 10 a game at this point. Start getting his in there.

GoBlazersGo and Pinwheel1 like this.
  19. Pinwheel1

Yeah, I know there will be some growing pains, but I like his energy, passing, and handles for his position. He reminded me a little of Plumlee when he brought the ball up the court in the last game....with more range on his jumper and a longer wing span. (7'3")

GoBlazersGo and kjironman1 like this.
  20. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Oops. Didn’t see that.

But it doesn’t have a witty thread title.