Nate Robinson Stuffs Yao

Discussion in 'New York Knicks' started by Ming637, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">30 standing ver Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">He hit Yao in the face after he blocked the shot. Didn't notice that until I just watching the clip again. It was clean until he followed all the way through. 5'8 blocking 7'5, incredible having a 21 inch advantage in height. It's the equalvalent to the time Tyrone Bogues blocked Patrick Ewing a long long long long time ago lol.</div>
    Also notice how Yao reacts to the contact a split second after he's hit. I really think it's an overexaggeration on Yao's part, really.

But as was mentioned, the foul was AFTER he stuffed Yao.

2. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

<div class="quote_poster">MrJ Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Also notice how Yao reacts to the contact a split second after he's hit. I really think it's an overexaggeration on Yao's part, really. </div>

He got poked in the eye. As soon as he landed, he clutched his face. In the timeout afterwards, they showed that above his eye it was very red. The next day, apparently their was swelling above his eye.

How's that overexaggeration? Most people would have been complaining/whining to the refs about it. Yao said nothing.

3. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

<div class="quote_poster">Answer_AI03 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">thats the difference between yao and shaq. that would never happen to shaq.</div>

You're right.

And Yao went 14 for 16 from the line. That also would never happen to Shaq.

4. Skiptomylue11

Skiptomylue11 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">MrJ Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Also notice how Yao reacts to the contact a split second after he's hit. I really think it's an overexaggeration on Yao's part, really.

But as was mentioned, the foul was AFTER he stuffed Yao.</div>
    It could be an overexaggeration, as players sometimes complain to try to get an extra call the next time.

Although getting hit on the face in midair by someone else in midair hurts. He might not have been overreacting depending on how hard and if he got hit in the eye.

5. Laker_fan

Laker_fan JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">durvasa Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">You're right.

And Yao went 14 for 16 from the line. That also would never happen to Shaq.</div>

Shaq has 4 rings, Yao has none, what's your point?

That was nice, the foul occured after the block, and it was accidental. His arm was following through after the block and he caught Yao in the eye.

6. Pakman

Pakman JBB ITS ON ME!!!

<div class="quote_poster">Laker_fan Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Shaq has 4 rings, Yao has none, what's your point?
    </div>
    The point is that there is no need for drawing comparisons of Yao & Shaq because Shaq has been in the league 14 years while Yao has been in the league 5 years.

But, if you want to go ahead and compare them anyways... there are many things Yao is better at than Shaq.

7. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

<div class="quote_poster">Laker_fan Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Shaq has 4 rings, Yao has none, what's your point? </div>

My point? Shaq really sucks at free throws. It's about as obvious as the observation that Shaq is more explosive and stronger than Yao. Or that Shaq has had a better career.

It's annoying that people constantly find it necessary to point out how Yao doesn't measure up to Shaq. He's the most scrutinized player ever, despite never talking himself up, having nothing but respect for his opponents, being completely team-oriented, and having unbelievable work ethic. I'm sick of it. Ever since he entered the league, the message has been clear from all the critics: if he's not Shaq, he's a failure. I thought for once I'd talk about something Yao does that Shaq doesn't do. If that bothers you, tough.

8. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">durvasa Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">He got poked in the eye. As soon as he landed, he clutched his face. In the timeout afterwards, they showed that above his eye it was very red. The next day, apparently their was swelling above his eye.

How's that overexaggeration? Most people would have been complaining/whining to the refs about it. Yao said nothing.</div>
    He's 7'5", there's no need to complain. Besides, the foul was after he got stuffed. He just happened to come down on his eye after the stuff.

9. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

<div class="quote_poster">MrJ Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">He's 7'5", there's no need to complain. Besides, the foul was after he got stuffed. He just happened to come down on his eye after the stuff.</div>

You're right. I forgot that people who are 7'5 are impervious to pain when they get scraped across the eye. [​IMG]

If you want to call it a clean block, you should at least call it a loose ball foul afterwards.

10. Legacy

Legacy Beast

I agree with durvasa. The block seemed good, until ESPN showed it like a 100 times over and over again. Plus Yao got hit in the eye.

11. Pakman

Pakman JBB ITS ON ME!!!

<div class="quote_poster">MrJ Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">He's 7'5", there's no need to complain. Besides, the foul was after he got stuffed. He just happened to come down on his eye after the stuff.</div>
    When I thought I had read the dumbest comment ever on JBB, I come across this one.

Just because you're 7'5" means you can't be hurt? Especially after being poked in the EYE.

C'mon, be serious here. Yao Ming is a human, no super-hero.

12. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Pakman Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">When I thought I had read the dumbest comment ever on JBB, I come across this one.

Just because you're 7'5" means you can't be hurt? Especially after being poked in the EYE.

C'mon, be serious here. Yao Ming is a human, no super-hero.</div>
    Trust me, I've heard much worse from you. Don't get me started.

Anyway, my point is the foul was overexaggerated. After the foul, which still wasn't all that hard, Yao remained in the backcourt way too long. At 7'5" he's gotten pushed to the floor, ruffed up, and has been fouled much harder than that. My point is overreacting to a poke in the eye by the league's tallest and "best center" doesn't really spell intimidation. It's a trivial foul and a clean block. Stop trying to make it bigger than what it is: a poke in the eye. YOU be serious.

13. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

<div class="quote_poster">MrJ Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">My point is overreacting to a poke in the eye by the league's tallest and "best center" doesn't really spell intimidation. It's a trivial foul and a clean block. Stop trying to make it bigger than what it is: a poke in the eye. YOU be serious.</div>

You're hating on Yao is transparent. What does Yao being the league's tallest player have to do with anything? You get poked in the eye, it's going to hurt the same regardless of your height. And without knowing what it actually felt like, how can you even say he overreacted?

If Yao did the same thing to Nate (blocked his shot, but scraped him across the eye as his hand came down), would you call it a "trivial foul"? Hell no, you wouldn't.

14. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">durvasa Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">You're hating on Yao is transparent. What does Yao being the league's tallest player have to do with anything? You get poked in the eye, it's going to hurt the same regardless of your height. And without knowing what it actually felt like, how can you even say he overreacted?</div>
    I'm not hating on Yao at all. He got poked in the eye. Big deal. Honestly, Yao has gotten fouled much harder by bigger and much stronger players. To each his own, but it appeared very obvious Yao was overreacting to the contact. It took him at least 10 seconds to go defend the Knicks in transition, leading to a fastbreak score by the Knicks.

Yao is considered by most to be the most dominant player in the league and when you have such a moniker you will get fouled. If you can't handle getting poked in the eye once in your professional basketball career, then you have no business playing. Especially if you're suggesting the play wasn't trivial. I understand the feeling; I'm sure everyone does, but the fact of the matter is he got poked in the eye, he was briefly hurt. Big deal, move on.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">If Yao did the same thing to Nate (blocked his shot, but scraped him across the eye as his hand came down), would you call it a "trivial foul"? Hell no, you wouldn't.</div>
    Hell yeah I would still call it a trivial. The foul was small and inadvertant after a clean block. Yao Ming in no way suffered after the incident and continued playing for the rest of the game. Let me ask you: what made this a serious foul? Yao continued playing and suffered no ill-effects after the foul.

What are you trying to prove? Regardles, Yao got a clean block from Robinson and was fouled afterwards.

15. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting MrJ:</div><div class="quote_post">Yao is considered by most to be the most dominant player in the league and when you have such a moniker you will get fouled.</div>What?

Find me a link where a "respected" analyst has said he's the most dominant player in the league.

If anything, Yao's been knocked on for not being the most dominant player in the league.

16. NewYorkBalla33

NewYorkBalla33 JBB JustBBall Member

Man, that block was CRAZY! [​IMG]

17. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

<div class="quote_poster">MrJ Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">What are you trying to prove? </div>

There was a foul, and you're biased against Yao because he's tall. You accepted the first part, and the second part requires no confirmation because it's obvious. No other reason you'd bring up his height to try to explain why getting poked in the eye isn't a big deal.

You keep saying Yao overreacted. That's just a guess on your part. Most times when a player get poked in the eye they are feeling it for several seconds. Usually, there's a stoppage in play because of it or the team retains possession, so the recovery time isn't as noticeable.

18. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">What?

Find me a link where a "respected" analyst has said he's the most dominant player in the league.

If anything, Yao's been knocked on for not being the most dominant player in the league.</div>
    This year Yao has stepped it up and is considered the best center in the league. You might be well aware McGrady dubbed him the most dominant in the league and many commentators on various networks (including ESPN) have called him the most dominant. Even if he isn't THE most, there's no arguing he isn't far off.

<div class="quote_poster">durvasa Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">There was a foul, and you're biased against Yao because he's tall. You accepted the first part, and the second part requires no confirmation because it's obvious. No other reason you'd bring up his height to try to explain why getting poked in the eye isn't a big deal.</div>
    I never said there wasn't a foul. I said the foul was AFTER Yao got blocked. My point about the height is if Yao is (or soon to be) a dominant force, he will inevitably get fouled and fouled hard. Getting poked in the eye (and suffering no serious damages) is trivial compared to his daily beating by opposing centers. All in all, the foul was not serious and still doesn't negate Nate's clean block on him.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">You keep saying Yao overreacted. That's just a guess on your part. Most times when a player get poked in the eye they are feeling it for several seconds. Usually, there's a stoppage in play because of it or the team retains possession, so the recovery time isn't as noticeable.</div>
    So let's Yao didn't overreact. He got blocked and then got robbed of a loose ball foul. Is that better?

19. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

<div class="quote_poster">MrJ Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">So let's Yao didn't overreact. He got blocked and then got robbed of a loose ball foul. Is that better?</div>

Sure.

BTW, Yao gets poked in the eye and scraped across the face all the time. It's not like this is the first time it happened to him, and he acted like a baby because of it. He's got more scars on his face and arms than any other player in the league. He's used to it happening, and he's used to it not getting called as a foul.

And I don't care who you are or how tough you are. If you get poked in the eye, it's going to hurt like a mother. So it took a moment to recover from it. That could happen to anyone. But because he's so tall, people expect him to act like he's Superman.

20. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

So if he gets hit in the eye and face all the time, then it shouldn't be anything new to him.