Nate Robinson Stuffs Yao

Discussion in 'New York Knicks' started by Ming637, Nov 20, 2006.

1. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

<div class="quote_poster">MrJ Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">So if he gets hit in the eye and face all the time, then it shouldn't be anything new to him.</div>

So, because it's not new, it should hurt less? That wouldn't make much sense.

2. drake

drake JBB JustBBall Member

There's a good reason why that little guy is in the NBA and it's because of his freakish athleticism.

3. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">durvasa Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">So, because it's not new, it should hurt less? That wouldn't make much sense.</div>
    I never said it should hurt less. Now you are just putting words in my mouth.

I'm saying if it happens all the time and is nothing new to him, why is it such a big deal?

4. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

<div class="quote_poster">MrJ Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I never said it should hurt less. Now you are just putting words in my mouth. </div>

Nope. You're saying Yao was over-reacting, and you're basing that on the fact he's huge and he should be used to it. But it doesn't matter if you're used to getting scraped in the face. If it hurts, it hurts, and you'll react accordingly. That's just reflexive.

5. umair

umair "Never underestimate the heart of a champion."

Atleast something is getting the knicks forums. Also, you knicks don't need to get too happy. First of all, that was a good block, and obviously there was a foul with it. A block isn't a block if you foul with it, so don't take it as a good block. And also, stop comparing shaq and yao! Even I agree yao isn't strong or agressive as shaq, but he is getting better, so instead of criticizing, give the guy a chance instead of hating. Yao is the best center over 7'3'' to ever play. You guys may think he got stuffed, but if you look closely you can see the foul, yao was poked in the eye. So stop hating and give the guy a chance. Also if I remember correctly the same guy who yall think got "blocked" by nate robinson also scored 35, 17, and 7 blocks against yall.

6. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">durvasa Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Nope. You're saying Yao was over-reacting, and you're basing that on the fact he's huge and he should be used to it. But it doesn't matter if you're used to getting scraped in the face. If it hurts, it hurts, and you'll react accordingly. That's just reflexive.</div>
    I still think he was overreacting, but as I said before, it doesn't matter, since none of us know for sure. But as I said before, for someone to get hit and beat down in the NBA, especially at the center position, is a regular occurance and shouldn't be a big deal. Regardless of whether it briefly hurt like a mofo, Yao was fine and if he plans onto continue playing in this league, he will be hit even harder. I'm not saying it should hurt less because he's used to it, I'm saying because it happens regularly, why is it a big deal?

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Umair15:</div><div class="quote_post">Atleast something is getting the knicks forums. Also, you knicks don't need to get too happy. First of all, that was a good block, and obviously there was a foul with it. A block isn't a block if you foul with it, so don't take it as a good block.</div>
    You just contradicted yourself. In the beginning you said "First of all, that was a good block." Then you said "so don't take it as a good block."

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Yao is the best center over 7'3'' to ever play. You guys may think he got stuffed, but if you look closely you can see the foul, yao was poked in the eye. </div>
    Not to discredit Yao, but there hasn't exactly been an abundance of 7'3" centers in the NBA.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">So stop hating and give the guy a chance. Also if I remember correctly the same guy who yall think got "blocked" by nate robinson also scored 35, 17, and 7 blocks against yall.</div>
    No one here is hating and Yao's stellar performance has nothing to do with the block. The block was clean but coming down, Nate inadvertantly hit him in the eye, so it should have been a lose ball foul called after the clean block.

7. umair

umair "Never underestimate the heart of a champion."

I can quote everything you're saying since I am using a blackberry, but I was saying that it was a good block if it wouldn't have been a foul. It was a great block except there was a little contact to go with it. You guys are making it seem as if yao is trash just because he got stuffed by yao. Every good center gets done up. I have a question for the refs: where is the damn foul?

8. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

<div class="quote_poster">MrJ Wrote</div><div class="quote_post"> Regardless of whether it briefly hurt like a mofo, Yao was fine and if he plans onto continue playing in this league, he will be hit even harder. I'm not saying it should hurt less because he's used to it, I'm saying because it happens regularly, why is it a big deal?</div>

Is saying it was a foul making a "big deal" about it? A guy getting scraped across the face is a foul in any basketball league. That's not making a big deal over it, it's recognizing a foul when it happens. You think because Yao is a big man and these kind of things happen regularly, I should just ignore it?

Yao is getting ridiculed by every media outlet in the country. Why don't you ask why they are making such a big deal about it? If they are going to constantly dump on Yao for that play, I think it's appropriate to point out that if the refs were doing their job correctly, Nate's play, as impressive as it was, would not have been legal.

9. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">durvasa Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Is saying it was a foul making a "big deal" about it? A guy getting scraped across the face is a foul in any basketball league. That's not making a big deal over it, it's recognizing a foul when it happens. You think because Yao is a big man and these kind of things happen regularly, I should just ignore it?</div>
    If the foul wasn't trivial, then what was it? It's not a big deal meaning it's nothing serious. It was just a foul. I didn't say ignore it, I'm saying don't change the foul into anything more than a regular foul.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Yao is getting ridiculed by every media outlet in the country. Why don't you ask why they are making such a big deal about it? If they are going to constantly dump on Yao for that play, I think it's appropriate to point out that if the refs were doing their job correctly, Nate's play, as impressive as it was, would not have been legal.</div>
    I don't think Yao is getting ridiculed, I just think everyone is acknowledging an impressive play by Nate. He's the league's second shortest player and happened to block the league's tallest player. The block would have been legal since it was all ball, Nate's momentum carried his hand on Yao's face after he blocked the shot.

10. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Umair15 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I can quote everything you're saying since I am using a blackberry, but I was saying that it was a good block if it wouldn't have been a foul. It was a great block except there was a little contact to go with it. You guys are making it seem as if yao is trash just because he got stuffed by yao. Every good center gets done up. I have a question for the refs: where is the damn foul?</div>
    Who said Yao was trash? The fact of the matter is the block was clean and the foul came afterwards.

11. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

<div class="quote_poster">MrJ Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">If the foul wasn't trivial, then what was it? It's not a big deal meaning it's nothing serious. It was just a foul. I didn't say ignore it, I'm saying don't change the foul into anything more than a regular foul.</div>

Was there someone arguing it should be elevated to flagrant foul?

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">I don't think Yao is getting ridiculed, I just think everyone is acknowledging an impressive play by Nate. He's the league's second shortest player and happened to block the league's tallest player. The block would have been legal since it was all ball, Nate's momentum carried his hand on Yao's face after he blocked the shot.</div>

Yao is getting ridiculed. The focus has been much more on Yao than Nate.

And you're right, the block would have been legal IF he didn't commit the foul afterwards. By league rules, if the foul was called (and it should have been called), it would have been a shooting foul and Nate wouldn't have been credited with the block. Those are the rules, though you can disagree with that interpretation if you like.

12. TheFreshPrince

TheFreshPrince JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Pakman Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Actually, it has.

Steve Francis stuffed Shaq, if I remember correctly.

Invalid Video Link
    Thats Josh Howard.</div>

Lol, Josh Howard grabbed shaqs entire hand, and touched pretty much no ball. Nice play [​IMG]

13. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting durvasa:</div><div class="quote_post">It's annoying that people constantly find it necessary to point out how Yao doesn't measure up to Shaq. He's the most scrutinized player ever, despite never talking himself up, having nothing but respect for his opponents, being completely team-oriented, and having unbelievable work ethic. I'm sick of it. Ever since he entered the league, the message has been clear from all the critics: if he's not Shaq, he's a failure. I thought for once I'd talk about something Yao does that Shaq doesn't do. If that bothers you, tough.</div>
    Best post in this thread. Yao's had to go through like the reverse of Lebron. He's had just as much hype and attention, but most of the media and fans want him to fail, instead of succeed. They want him to be the next Shawn Bradley so they can laugh at him, instead of the next Shaq (not literally, but in terms of talent and skill).

The foul was obviously there. But, as everyone else has pointed out, it was after the fact and should've been a loose ball foul. Yet, I can see how that's been ignored by the media. That block loses some of its importance, if Yao gets to shoot two free throws afterwards.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting MrJ:</div><div class="quote_post">why is it a big deal?</div>
    It's a big deal, because people either go out of their way to deny or completely ignore it. I don't find it that important. But, if you talk to most NBA fans and just mention off-hand they get defensive for some reason.

14. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">durvasa Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Was there someone arguing it should be elevated to flagrant foul?</div>
    You're missing my point. The foul wasn't serious. End of story.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Yao is getting ridiculed. The focus has been much more on Yao than Nate.</div>
    Seeing that you live in Houston, you probably hear much more on Yao than you do Nate. And because I live in New York, the focus has been more on Nate than on Yao. Living in two different enviornments, the focus has been on our local players.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">And you're right, the block would have been legal IF he didn't commit the foul afterwards. By league rules, if the foul was called (and it should have been called), it would have been a shooting foul and Nate wouldn't have been credited with the block. Those are the rules, though you can disagree with that interpretation if you like.</div>
    Nate got all ball and the ball was completely out of Yao's hands after the block. If anything, it should have been a lose ball foul, but regardless, the foul wasn't called and the block is credited to Nate. Nothing can be done about it; that's just the way the NBA goes.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Chutney:</div><div class="quote_post">It's a big deal, because people either go out of their way to deny or completely ignore it. I don't find it that important. But, if you talk to most NBA fans and just mention off-hand they get defensive for some reason.</div>
    Really, is it that serious though? The Rockets won the game and people will soon forget about this anyway. I'm a Knick fan and it's just like whatever to me after a few days.

15. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

<div class="quote_poster">MrJ Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">You're missing my point. The foul wasn't serious. End of story.</div>

I'm sorry. Is there a category for "not serious" fouls that don't have to be called in the rule book? And are we talking about a touch foul, or a overt swipe across the face? I thought it's the latter.

16. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">durvasa Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I'm sorry. Is there a category for "not serious" fouls that don't have to be called in the rule book? And are we talking about a touch foul, or a overt swipe across the face? I thought it's the latter.</div>
    I don't think we're going anywhere from here...

Yao was hit, suffered no injuries, continued playing and had a very good outing. What do you want me to say, the refs missed a lose ball foul? I already said that.

17. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting MrJ:</div><div class="quote_post">Seeing that you live in Houston, you probably hear much more on Yao than you do Nate. And because I live in New York, the focus has been more on Nate than on Yao. Living in two different enviornments, the focus has been on our local players. </div>
    Actually, on Sportscenter or ESPNEWs, the commentary made a couple little jokes at Yao in a way, he is getting ridiculed for it. I would tell you to go check out the clip at ESPN, but for whatever reason, after a couple days they take them down.

EDIT- Basically, it went like this. Yao gets it in the post, and makes a shot. The ESPNEWs guys goes something a long the lines of "Yao with the shot, doesn't get blocked there." Even though its nothing serious, I'm just making a point he's being scrutinized by the media nonetheless.

18. Apollo

Apollo JBB Into The Fire

Foul or no foul, that was a nice play by Nate.

19. Pakman

Pakman JBB ITS ON ME!!!

<div class="quote_poster">TheFreshPrince Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Lol, Josh Howard grabbed shaqs entire hand, and touched pretty much no ball. Nice play [​IMG]</div>

...and Nate fouled Yao too. His block would not have counted had the referees called foul.

So, the same way .. Howard's block counted.

20. Pakman

Pakman JBB ITS ON ME!!!

<div class="quote_poster">MrJ Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Trust me, I've heard much worse from you. Don't get me started.
    </div>

It doesn't get any more worst than "He's 7'5", there's no need to complain."