Trade Idea NATO

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by barfo, Jul 11, 2018.

?

Your view on NATO?

1. NATO is essential for US security and prosperity

2. NATO is a net positive, but it's not all that important really

3. meh - doesn't matter

4. NATO is a net negative, but it's not all that bad

5. NATO is hurting US security and prosperity and we should withdraw from NATO

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    I didn't vote, but that voter would obviously answer you:

Because of the alliance, the U.S. pays at least a hundred billion dollars that Europe would have to pay to defend itself.

2. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

What if Germany, for example, had a very large military instead of relying on the US for defense. Can you think of any possible downsides to that?

barfo

Phatguysrule, Lanny and riverman like this.
  3. bodyman5000 and 1

bodyman5000 and 1 Lions, Tigers, Me, Bears

4. jlprk

retired, while you work!
    Germany and Japan have changed permanently. In the 1950s, foreign intelligence agencies made Germany and Japan liberal and anti-war. Because of the trade deficit, in the 90s the U.S. began influencing Japan to develop a military, against Japanese strong domestic opinion. The U.S. engineered Japan to become pacifist, and is now engineering their public opinion back to Abe conservatism. Germans I have met are similarly pacifist.

My point is, foreign intelligence agencies control Germany and won't let it become anti-US/UK/France/Jew.

5. jlprk

retired, while you work!
    The real reason the U.S. took over Europe's military through NATO circa 1950 was that many (most?) Europeans wanted to go Communist. After saving their own skins by beating Hitler on the right, the rich locals called in the U.S. Cavalry to defeat the leftist local tribe. After 70 years of media propaganda and school indoctrination, the danger is long gone, rich guys feel fancy-free, have dumped their solidarity with the governments which protected them, and have cashed out their support with destructive tax breaks. It's back to pre-1917, every-rich-guy-for-himself libertarianism.

So it's all breaking down in the West. Meanwhile, China quickly overtakes us using only economic power, not military as the West does, proving the inefficiency of military alliances when your goal is consolidating power. Remember, grasshopper. Better one hundred years of harvest, than one year of seven-year locusts.

6. Shaboid

Shaboid Well-Known Member

Can someone please explain to my why Turkey is even part of NATO?

7. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

The US paying for most of it keeps the US as the dominant power in the world and the world reserve currency.

This makes the dollar the single safest investment in the world and allows us to print money as needed while maintaining stability.

This has allowed us to rig the world market in our favor to the benefit of our citizens. Complaining about our spending on this is very short sighted.

Last edited: May 19, 2022
    RR7 likes this.
  8. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Oil pipeline ends there ...US had military missile bases there as well...strategic country for containing Russia's Navy from entering the Mediterranean or getting to the Suez Canal although they now have Syrian ports for their navy ...they couldn't re-supply them with the strait blocked.

9. Shaboid

Shaboid Well-Known Member

I am familiar with that, I guess I meant in regards to them rejecting Finland and Sweden joining. Why are they acting in Russias interest here.

10. riverman

riverman Writing Team

The North Sea is their other access port to the Atlantic...Scandinavia can block that access as well as Turkey can block the southern access...Russia is pretty landlocked...Turkey makes no political sense other than justifying their own genocide against the Kurds....that govt is really fucked up so hard to say why they want Russian goodwill...a Russian diplomat was poisoned in Turkey I believe not long ago. Turkey is another country that pines for it's lost Ottoman empire days. These dictators are huddling up it seems.

Shaboid and Hoopguru like this.
  11. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Sweden and Finland don't hate the Kurds so Turkey mad.

Phatguysrule, riverman and Shaboid like this.
  12. GriLtCheeZ

GriLtCheeZ "Well, I'm not lookin' for trouble."

Gleaming the Cubicle
    I think Turkey just wants Sweden and Finland to stop assisting the Kurds. They might want Enas too.

Phatguysrule likes this.