NBA Benefits Fraud

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by THE HCP, Oct 7, 2021.

1. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

The fact you still talk to me baffles me!!

Fairly-Hard and THE HCP like this.
  2. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

Again, I'm fine with punishments. I just prefer ones that are a net positive to society vs spending billions of dollars to spit out a worse product.

Buffalo Custard likes this.
  3. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

If their motivation had been to commit insurance fraud to save themself or a family member I would agree with you. But this was greed. And for some of these people, this is not their first serious brush with the law. Wasn't it Miles who got caught selling stolen cell phones out of the trunk of his car? He got probation for that. (Which I'm fine with.) But he learned nothing and moved up to a more serious financial crime. Did Ruben Patterson serve any time for raping his kid's nanny?

4. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

There a lot of studies that compare the United States to countries who rely on incarrceration far less. There are many studies and arcticles out there such as this one: https://www.vera.org/publications/s...etherlands-implications-for-the-united-states

I, like you, am fine with a prison sentence IF it is the most appropriate. I do believe there are appropriate circumstance to incarcerate someone. Unfortunately, it appears the majority of people in jail/prison do not fall under the category. Being against mass incarceration does not mean I want all incarceration go to go away. I'm not even worried about making it easiest on the person who has committed an offense, I want the result that is going to better the entire society. There is very little evidence to support that having the worlds highest incarceration rate is a net positive for society.

If you do have data that supports high incarceration being good for society, I'm open to reading that as well. Like everything, going from one extreme to another would probably be create just as many problems, it's all about finding the right balance.

Back to this topic: If guilty, I believe these guys should be punished in a way that makes them to never want to commit fraud again while making their victim(s) and society as close, if not more whole than they were to begin with.

blazerkor and Minstrel like this.
  5. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

I'm not intimate with the details in Ruben's case, but if my memory serves, he was charged with a misdemeanor. In most states, rape is a serious felony, so I can't imagine that's what he was convicted of. I could be wrong though.

6. SlyPokerDog

He's a registered sex offender. I'm guessing that only happens with a felony. But I don't know for sure on that.

Tince likes this.
  7. SlyPokerDog

Nope.

Patterson was accused of attempting to rape the family's nanny in September at the family home in suburban Bellevue. The maximum punishment for attempted third-degree rape, a gross misdemeanor, is one year in jail and a $5,000 fine.

Of the one year in jail, he served 15 days.

Tince likes this.
  8. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

If my math is correct, these players, stole 0.05% of the NBA annual revenue from them. If you put that in perspective, that would be like someone stealing $19.50 from the an average american who makes $36,000. So the negative impact this will have on the NBA is minimal.

If true, they were greedy, wrong, and in some cases showing repeated poor behavoir and deserve some sort of punishment.

Would I want someone to go to jail for stealing $20 from me though? No.

9. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

Nice find, thank you. Doesn't make it ok, but this make a little more sense.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  10. SlyPokerDog

Patterson was involved in a number of off-the-court issues during his basketball career. Patterson would have to register himself as a sex offender to establish legal residency in many U.S. states, due to pleading guilty in 2001 to attempted rape of his child's nanny in September 2000.[6] It was reported that he forced the nanny to perform a sex act on him.[6][7] In February 2001, Patterson was convicted of misdemeanor assault for attacking a man who scratched his car outside a Cleveland, Ohio night club. Patterson was arrested in 2002 for felony domestic abuse charges on his wife. His wife later dropped the charges[8] and they divorced.[9]

He was accused of failing to register as a sex offender on May 15, 2007 after moving into a new house in Cincinnati and a bench warrant was issued.[10] His agent, former NFL player Tim McGee, said Patterson's failure to register was "an oversight" after Patterson was ordered to pay a $1,000 fine on June 8.

On March 27, 2010, Patterson was arrested in Hamilton County, Ohio on DUI charges after it was found that his blood alcohol level was .117. On July 26, 2010, Hamilton County Municipal Court Judge Bernie Bouchard sentenced him to a $500 fine and a three-day driving program. He also ordered Patterson not to consume alcohol for 18 months.[11]

11. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Man do I got a great story about us out at a club in OKC way back in the day!

SlyPokerDog and Tince like this.
  12. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's just a difference of opinion I guess. Jail time has never shown to be a great deterrent or a decent way to rehabilitate nonviolent offenders. It actually isn't a great deterrent or way to rehabilitate anyone but when someone shows themselves to be a danger to society, we have to get them out of society in some way.

Obviously if Patterson raped someone he should have been in jail and maybe still should but this isn't rape and has nothing to do with it. Miles having a history of selling stolen goods should be taken into consideration when handing out his sentence but that should have to do with duration and severity of probation and fines. Making these guys pay everything back and pay fines, plus making them get jobs, stay completely sober, have curfews and report constantly to a probation officer would be a lot to make them think again about doing something like this. Just look at the numbers of people we incarcerate in this country compared to every other country. Our first thought is to lock someone up and it just doesn't work.

SlyPokerDog and Tince like this.
  13. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    The nanny, his former lover, caught him masturbating in his own bedroom. They had sex. She said it wasn't consensual. It's not like the guy was roaming the streets looking for some action. He was probably guilty, but the common narrative painting him like he's what wrong with our society is off the mark.

Tince likes this.
  14. SlyPokerDog

Something that stood out to me is that the NBA players' insurance doesn't pay 100% of the expenses. I just kind of figured with the money the league and players make it would. But that's beside the point.

Not sure if how your comparing dollar amount to revenue is fair.

The insurance got defrauded. That means people who really need their medical bills covered are going to be scrutinized more. People like Brian Grant. These greedy players' actions are not going to hurt the league, it's going to hurt the people that need the insurance.

Tince likes this.
  15. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

Its so much easier to put people in large groups and paint them with equally as big brush strokes; very little critical thinking is involved that way.

But to your point, I agree, it's very wrong.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
  16. Shaboid

Shaboid Well-Known Member

What if it comes out that they were trying to bill "massages" to their insurance, a la Robert Kraft? That would definitely be strike two for Patterson.

Tince and SlyPokerDog like this.
  17. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

Your point is well made and true.

My point is that the dollar amount being used in a scenario where the average person is asked how they would feel if $4m was taken from them is probably not an accurate comparison to be made.

These greedy actions (if true) are what cause insurance premiums, paid by the NBA and their players (or society as a whole) to be so high. $4 million in nothing compared to the markup insulin companies pass on to the American insurance companies, that later get passed on to all of us. Somehow, that is legal though.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  18. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

I don’t think this a good argument. So stealing more money is fine as long as it’s only a certain percentage?

19. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

I think the impact on the "victim" should be a factor in the punishment. I think stealing $20 from a homeless person is worse than stealing $20 from Amazon. My opinion only and it's fair if you think those things are equal.

At no point did I say stealing was fine, did I? Multiple times, I've stated that if true, what they did was wrong, greedy, and deserves punishment. To imply otherwise is poor form.

20. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that one always seemed like a payday to me. People loved to use the "Nanny Raper" term to sensationalize it but they were like 1 or 2 years apart in age and as you pointed out had consensual sex previously. As I recall his wife wanted to kick her ass. https://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/Patterson-sentenced-to-jail-1054755.php

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021