NBA considering eliminating back to backs

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Draco, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story...ays-everybody-nba-schedule-going-later-summer

I'm all for it. They can cut a week out of the preseason and extend the season a week or two. It would greatly improve the product on the court. Nobody wants to watch a primetime matchup with multiple veterans sitting out. It could improve fan interest in watching games as its hard to find the time for Blazer games multiple nights in a row. 4 games in 5 nights is ridiculous. The team could also choose to always travel on off days which would again improve the play on the court and get players more normal sleeping schedules.

NBA athletes are more over-trained than basically any professional athlete. Damian Lillard runs 2.5 miles per game and those are such high intensity its probably the equivalent of a distance runner doing a half marathon.

kjironman1 and Darkwebs like this.
  2. santeesioux

santeesioux Just keep on scrolling by

Trolling the internet
    Extending the season sounds good to me, only having baseball to watch in the summer sucks.

3. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

it'll be done. and good.

baseball is the better sport though, santee. :ghoti:

4. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

Oh yes, this will be most excellent.

5. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I'm all for it. Baseball monitors high end pitchers to keep them from injury. Basketball needs to do the same or all the starters will have shorter, less productive careers.

6. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    I like watching back to backs. I hate off days. I want my Blazers as much as possible.

7. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

nba players for as much as they make... should be expected to play 365 games a year.

8. blue32

blue32 Who wants a mustache ride?

I don't mind this, as long as I can watch the damn games next year :D

9. BoBoBREWSKI

BoBoBREWSKI BURP!

I like the idea of cutting short the Pre-Season to eliminate some back to backs, but don’t think its necessary to extend the regular season/playoffs. I think 5-7 back to backs each season is OK. I counted the Blazers as having 14 back to backs this season. I'm guessing the players would want as long of an off-season as possible to enjoy all that $$$ they make.

10. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Been saying this for years. The one thing i hope they don't do is change it before the Thunder have a B2B against the Blazers Friday. After that they can change it any time they want.

11. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Thank fucking god.

I would be ok with a few home team back-to-backs, but road back-to-backs are fucking ridiculous.

Cut down on the wear and tear on players, reduce injuries, improve the product on the court.

What a concept.

12. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I'm completely in the minority here. My favorite season in recent memory was the highly compressed 66-game season where teams were occasionally playing on 3 consecutive nights. It felt like a four-month sprint, with constant action, and I loved it. Rather than elongating the season and eliminating back to backs, I think they should shorten the season, compress the time schedule, and basically own the beginning of the year like football does the end.

13. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

It's a good thing it's not up to you.

14. PtldPlatypus

Good for whom? The players? Debatable. An expansion of my vision:

In Platy-world, the schedule is 58 games (playing each of the other 29 teams twice), played only on Sundays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. The season begins the Thursday after the Super Bowl, thereby giving the public four full days to digest the end of the football season before turning its full attention to hoops. Four games a week plus 2 in the opening half-week means the regular season is 14 1/2 weeks long. This year, opening night would have been February 5th, and the final night of games would be Saturday May 16th.

Divisions would be irrelevant, and the playoffs would simply be the top 16 teams, irrespective of location. The playoff schedule would be even further compressed, with each series being 2-3-2, and off days only for travel, or if your series ends early. Therefore, there would be 10 days allocated for each series: 7 for games, 2 for travel, and 1 for transition to the next series. I would allot 3 days rest (for media build-up) between the regular and post-seasons, and playoffs would begin the Wednesday after the final regular season game. This year, round 1 would be from May 20-28, round 2 May 30-Jun 7, round 3 Jun 9-17, and the finals from Jun 20-28 (two days media build up before the finals allows the series to both begin and end on a weekend). "All-star" festivities would occur two weekends after the finals (July 11-12 this year), and the draft would occur two days later (July 14) at the same location. What currently constitutes the "moratorium" would occur over the next couple weeks, and the league year and free agent signing period would commence immediately at 12:01 on August 1st.

The goal would be complete media saturation over a 6-month period. Every weekend is a back-to-back. Every playoff series is grueling. It's a true war of attrition. F nights of the week are appointment viewing, and the entire sports-watching public knows that there are games those nights. Every talk radio day is either dissecting the prior night's games or previewing that evening's games. From early February through early August, the NBA would own the sports landscape, and the major portion of free agency would begin to dwindle simultaneously with the start of the NFL pre-season. Much as everyone knows that September through January belong to the NFL, everyone would know that February through June belong to the NBA.
    We all know that nothing like this will ever happen, but I guarantee you that this would be a much more marketable and profitable product than what the NBA currently has. And the end result would be a shorter season and more money for everyone.

15. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

You could have saved your soliloquy. :)

16. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Adam Silver : The People's Commissioner.

dviss1 likes this.
  17. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

I think the injuries would decimate the league. After a few short weeks there would be nothing but complaining about being tired and in the end it would truly simply be a war of "attrition" as you say. We would end up watching the Will Barton's and Allen Crabbe's of the league get schooled by the LeBron's and the team that wins in the end would not be the best team but the youngest and most healthy most likely. It would either be that or the teams would simply play the season to get to the playoffs and then they would play their true starters. The Playoffs would then be another pre-season type system and you end up trying to just "get by" the first round.
    It would be exciting but not the best for Basketball IMHO.

dviss1 likes this.
  18. PtldPlatypus

You're overstating it. Teams already play 16-17 games a month. That wouldn't change. My plan would simply normalize the breaks. Routine actually reduces injuries. Once the routine of the normalized schedule took effect, players would know how to prepare optimally for the games. And with a 6-month off-season, even the Euro-hoopers would have plenty of time to recover and come into the season fresh.

19. PtldPlatypus

I had already typed it before your response. I just incorporated it into my reply to you for the sake of continuity.

20. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

:)