NBA draft "big board" top 10

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by blazerfan11, Apr 22, 2022.

1. Predator

Predator The Godfather

Jesus, I was honestly curious what changed for Bones regarding Chet.

Didn’t think it would start this… again…

2. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Where are the "stans"? Seems to me his haters are the most worked up. I'm on record on saying that none of the top 3 (actually 4) prospects particularly light my fire. Give me Sochan!

3. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Top prospects with best case/worst case - try to come up with original ones.
    Holmgren: Skinny Pau/short Shawn Bradley
    Smith: Michael Porter Jr. with defense/Harvey Grant
    Banchero: Bigger Carmelo/Smaller Marvin Bagley
    Ivey: Bigger Ja/Smaller Oladipo
    Sharpe: Paul George with brains/Qyntel Woods with brains

PCmor7 likes this.
  4. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

It seems to me there are 3 broad factors to be looking at in the draft. I'm curious how other fans rate these. Are there other factors you would add? (yes, I'm bored)

1) The players ceiling/floor. This one is obvious.

2) What are the odds they actually reach their ceiling? This includes hard to quantify issues like coachability, work ethic, and injury/heath.

3) If the reach their peak, how long will it take? My belief is that the longer the development curve, the higher the ceiling needs to be. Call this the Meyers Leonard rule. He needed to be really good to justify the time and money invested in him, and he was never more than passable.

Thoughts?

blazerfan11 likes this.
  5. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Are they athletic
    Do they have length
    Are they willing defenders
    Do they have a high motor
    Are they a WABC
    Did they play at Syracuse

Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
    UKRAINEFAN, Idog1976 and oldmangrouch like this.
  6. James lamphear

James lamphear Well-Known Member

Not necessary he only going put on muscle as much has frame can take same as weight.

7. James lamphear

Not necessary he only going put on muscle as much has frame can take same as weight.

8. James lamphear

I watch Memphis 5 and 6 times some games he didn't play the ones I seen I question his motor on the floor. Yes he young he can correct that but there a lot questions about his offense and I think he going have trouble on switches. I think Williams is NBA ready right now I Duren to me is not there yet and believe he is hit or miss type of player.

Idog1976 likes this.
  9. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

The Duren v Williams debate is interesting. It is similar to debating whether a particular vet is worth trading a lotto pick for. How much risk are you willing to tolerate before you opt for a guy who will help quickly and seems to have little chance to flop? For a team in win-now mode, Williams would be a very defensible choice. OTOH, he isn't going to do much to change a team that is a dumpster fire.

10. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

That's my opinion on prospects in general. Apply it to Dieng if you want since you can't handle me thinking that Chet can build muscle. I can't remember the last time a top 10 prospect didn't pan out because they were too skinny. Your whole attitude is fucking bizarre.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
  11. blazerfan11

blazerfan11 Well-Known Member

Another thing for the team drafting the player, can we give him enough playing time?
    This is a real problem, maybe more so if you draft the "best player available" without thinking about playing time. You can definitely end up stunting that players growth, and not even knowing their potential even with your coaching staff being with that player for years in some cases.
    Jermaine O'Neal is one example. The very next season after being traded by the Blazers, O'Neal was the top shot blocker in the NBA (by total blocks) and no. 1 in the Eastern Conference in double doubles.
    The Blazers were clueless because of playing time for O'Neal. Only 12.3 minutes per game with 8 starts in his fourth season.
    His next season he started 80 games and averaged 32.6 minutes per game.

Idog1976 and oldmangrouch like this.
  12. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

I agree that Williams seems NBA now. I wouldn't use a top 6 pick on him unless we move on from Nurk?
    He has a 7 1/2 foot reach and moves his feet well a 7'. I was hoping if we had the 11 pick we would give him serious consideration.

13. Hoopguru

14. PCmor7

PCmor7 Generational Poster

Saying this for years
    All respect to your idea about Williams, I don't know if that guy exists in this draft. I certainly don't see a guy who can come in and be that guy quickly.

I'd rather keep our lottery pick and draft Ibou Badji in the second round. Or Kamagate.

15. Hoopguru

We'll see. Who do you have in the draft big board top 10?

16. PCmor7

Saying this for years
    I didn't make one yet. I think there are seven guys and then it gets a little fuzzy.

1. Smith
    2. Banchero
    3. Sharpe
    4. Holmgren
    5. Ivey
    6. Murray
    7. Mathurin
    8. Griffin
    9. Kendall Brown
    10. Ugh ... probably Sochan.

Just a couple of qualifiers ... the more I think about it, the more I think Sharpe is the best prospect in this draft. If I was an expansion team and had a blank slate and was just picking who I thought had the best chance of becoming a star in this draft, it'd be him. I also personally like Ivey better than Holmgren in a vacuum, but, looking at the Blazers' needs, I'd be willing to roll the dice on Chet if Smith and Banchero were already gone.

blazerkor and Hoopguru like this.
  17. PCmor7

Saying this for years
    Whiteside's like 265 pounds.

18. Hoopguru

I may be wrong but Im thinking Billups is going yo want a two way player with emphasis on defense.
    Thats what he’s used too.

19. PCmor7

Saying this for years
    I don't think we have enough info to know that, yet. I think a lot of us are presuming that, but I don't think Chauncey is going to be as married to that as a lot of us might think. I think he'll go for the star if he can get him, even if it sacrifices a little on defense.

That said, I don't think any of those guys in the top 10 project as below-average defenders.

20. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

I actually think Chauncey probably thinks he could take someone like Banchero and make him a two way player. The guy is so young and he's definitely athletically gifted (not like a LeBron or Giannis type of freak of nature but still an upper echelon athlete by NBA standards) so I would bet that Chauncey would think he could get a hold of a guy that young and mold him into a two way player but obviously this is just a guess on my part. Maybe I'm wrong though and maybe Chauncey values a guy with an inner drive on both ends and doesn't think a motor is something that can be taught and he would want Jabari who seems like the most tenacious of all of the guys at the top of the draft... that would fit what we need. I'm pretty sure Ivey is the most tenacious guy of the top prospects.

PCmor7 likes this.