NBA Draft: Who was the Steal?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by B.e., Jun 29, 2005.

1. bbwAce

bbwAce BBW Member

I think Boston made out like bandits...Green and Gomes??? thats crazy, this team is going to be killer in 2 years or so...I also think the Kings' pick of Garcia will be very nice...I like his length, his shooting ability...he's definitely a nice pick...I think the Wizards made a STEAL with Blatche late in the 2nd round...

2. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Voodoo Child:</div><div class="quote_post">I completely disagree. The Grizzlies do not need an athletic player with no position; they need a big man who can give them rebounding, physicality, and size downlow. Hakim Warrick just creates a logjam at Small Forward behind Battier, Posey, and Jones. I'd like to think that we'd play him at Power Forward, but he's not the type of Power Forward we need. Besides, what would we do with Pau Gasol and Brian Cardinal? The main thing that people need to realize when comparing Warrick's role to Swift's is that Stromile Swift was a legit Center last year. Warrick won't be able to replace that; not in the least. I think that the much better selections would have been Johan Petro, Chris Taft, or Wayne Simien.

Sidenote: Jerry West sucks.

As everyone else has already said, Granger and Green were steals, but I think that Wayne Simien was just as much of a steal at #29. I'm one of those people who thinks that size doesn't matter as much as skills, and Wayne Simien is one of the most skilled players in the draft. In fact, I could see him stepping right into the starting spot in Miami if Haslem isn't resigned. Great pick by Miami; they got their man.</div>

I don't think your favorite person is done dealing yet and with the new 14 man rosters I like still like the pick. There is definitely a logjam of players in Memphis, but adding more talent is never a bad thing. The Grizzlies will probably evaluate who they want to keep and who they want to move. Currently upfront the Grizzlies have Paul Gasol, Lorenzen Wright, and Brian Cardinal. None of those guys are athletic and Warrick.

Wayne Simien would have been a solid pick and he is perfect for Miami, but I think the Grizzlies went with the BAP at 19 and Warrick slipping a few spots made him their pick.

The current Grizzlies were built around a unique coaching system Hubie Brown wanted. This system won't be around next year when Mike Fratello becomes the head coach from Day 1.

Bonzi Wells, Stromile Swift, James Posey, Earl Watson, Jason Williams, and possibly Lorenzen Wright will be gone by the end of summer.

This leaves a core of Gasol-Battier-Miller-Warrick, with Cardinal-Jones-Emmett-Burks-Tsakalidas rounding out the bench.

The key is going to be what the Grizzlies can get for those other players.

3. Terminator-X

Terminator-X JBB Banned Member

i`m not sure but i think that Danny Ainge just got a major stroke of luck with Ryan Gomes and Gerald Green

4. bball_spida

bball_spida JBB JustBBall Member

i thought the steal was charlotte, gettin may and felton. both from the NCAA champ UNC and both know eachother well. Dont have to move far either! LOL. But the steal was gerald green at #18, i thought at least top 10.
    Plus look out for the spurs picks. Ginobilli or parker might have some mates who can really play!

5. CifrOoZ

CifrOoZ JBB JustBBall Member

green is real steal

6. stkf

stkf BBW Member

<u>Steals</u>
    Celtics - Gerald Green
    Celtics - Ryan Gomes
    Kings - Francisco Garcia
    Wizards - Andray Blatche
    Pacers - Danny Granger
    Warriors - Chris Taft
    Heat - Wayne Simien

7. AA13

AA13 JBB JustBBall Member

The steal of the draft had to be Gerald Green at 18 to Boston. I didn't think there was any way that he would slip out of the top 10.

Another steal was Wayne Simien going to Miami. I still can't beleive so many teams would pass him over. They were probably afraid of Simien's injuries. He will help Miami greatly.

Two more steals were Sean May at 13 going to Charlotte and Rashad McCants at 14 going to Minnesota. Both players are proven winneres and will help out the franchise.

8. Bobcats

Bobcats JBB JustBBall Member

May is in no way a steal. His pick was a business decision, not because he was the BAP.

9. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AA13:</div><div class="quote_post">
    Another steal was Wayne Simien going to Miami. I still can't beleive so many teams would pass him over. They were probably afraid of Simien's injuries. He will help Miami greatly.</div>

And the fact that players in his mould don't generally translate to the pros very well. Often what one does in college is often almost irrelevant in a scout's mind, it's all about how he translates to the big time.

10. Alley-oop

Alley-oop JBB JustBBall Member

I think plenty of 2nd rounders from this draft will turn out to be good players: Miles,Ikic,Williams,Thompson

11. Miami Flash City

Miami Flash City JBB All Day

I think the steal of the draft would have to be Danny Granger going to the Pacers no1 expected him to be picked that late.

12. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

To me, the steal had to be Taft dropping all the way to #42. I don't care that his work ethic sucks, but his talent and potential are sky high. He could very well end up being the best big man out of this draft. I fully expected him to drop out of lottery, but not out of the first round. He's a big with good size and an NBA ready body. The only thing that's holding him back is his (lack of) work ethic and a sometimes poor attitude. Those are each things that can be changed in the right system, which is why I was astounded to see no one take him first round.

13. Nasty

Nasty JBB Sorry, I killed Fever

Roko Ukic and Julius Hodge.

14. bbwtrench

bbwtrench BBW Member

Granger and Green. How Boston was able to scoop up Green was unbelieveable. 6'8 guard with comparisons to T-MAC! GEEEZZEE!

15. Nasty

Nasty JBB Sorry, I killed Fever

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting trenchteam:</div><div class="quote_post">Granger and Green. How Boston was able to scoop up Green was unbelieveable. 6'8 guard with comparisons to T-MAC! GEEEZZEE!</div>

Can you pause for a sec and ask yourself why 15 teams passed on him?

16. jbbDC42315

jbbDC42315 JBB JustBBall Member

Granger & Green had to be the biggest steals of the draft. What they bring to the table is amazing to go so late from where they were once projected. & then Wayne Simien was a steal also. I think he will be great alongside Shaq.

17. Char

Char JBB Nowitzness

Francisco Garcia. The dude reminds me a lot of Tayshaun Prince.
    I hope the Hawks's picks help them reach or contend for the playoffs.
    The celtics getting Green as a steal reminds me of when they got Paul Pierce.

18. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">I don't think your favorite person is done dealing yet and with the new 14 man rosters I like still like the pick. There is definitely a logjam of players in Memphis, but adding more talent is never a bad thing. The Grizzlies will probably evaluate who they want to keep and who they want to move. Currently upfront the Grizzlies have Paul Gasol, Lorenzen Wright, and Brian Cardinal. None of those guys are athletic and Warrick.

Wayne Simien would have been a solid pick and he is perfect for Miami, but I think the Grizzlies went with the BAP at 19 and Warrick slipping a few spots made him their pick.

The current Grizzlies were built around a unique coaching system Hubie Brown wanted. This system won't be around next year when Mike Fratello becomes the head coach from Day 1.

Bonzi Wells, Stromile Swift, James Posey, Earl Watson, Jason Williams, and possibly Lorenzen Wright will be gone by the end of summer.

This leaves a core of Gasol-Battier-Miller-Warrick, with Cardinal-Jones-Emmett-Burks-Tsakalidas rounding out the bench.

The key is going to be what the Grizzlies can get for those other players.</div>

Wait a minute, you think he's a steal because of his trade value? That's a whole nother story. In your original post, you just said that he fits our system and is a good replacement for Stromile Swift.

You know what? Your side of the argument sounds eerily similar to when they drafted Troy Bell in 2003. I said, "They don't have a need for him. We should have drafted size." Everyone else said, "But he is the most athletic player in the draft. It doesn't matter if he doesn't fill a need because the Grizzlies are bound to trade and free up space this offseason." We all know how that went...

Seriously though, do you really think it's a good move for the Grizzlies to add anything but bulk in the draft? They have some of the most athletic players in the NBA with Andre Emmett, Dahntay Jones, James Posey, etc. Their only post player who can bang with the other bigs in the NBA is Lorenzen Wright. In theory, it sounds like a picture perfect scenario that they could just trade for size in the offseason. Be realistic though. There are not many servicable bigs out there that are up for trade, and especially not many servicable bigs out there that you can get by dangling a Point Guard like Jason Williams as trade bait. There are rare exceptions, but usually you have to give size to get size in return. I realize that Lorenzen Wright "demanded a trade", but I think that was a very soft demand and don't see it happening.

Bottom line is that if I'm Memphis, I don't want a tweener on my team. Some teams need the most athletic or the most talented player available on their team, but not the Grizzlies. They had a definite need and it wasn't satisfied.

19. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Purple Fever:</div><div class="quote_post">Can you pause for a sec and ask yourself why 15 teams passed on him?</div>It was actually 17 teams, but why don't we all step off to the side and let you answer your own question.

The floor is yours...

20. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting 44Thrilla:</div><div class="quote_post">It was actually 17 teams</div>

Charlotte and Toronto both had two picks before the 18th.