NBA Draft: Who was the Steal?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by B.e., Jun 29, 2005.

1. Theo41

Theo41 BBW Member

Run wit it, I disagree immensly. This kid has some talent, but he probably won't even get onto the court in the NBDL. He's as project as project can be and (likely) will be a waste of a draft pick.

As for the topic on hand, here are a few who I thought were steals

<u>First Round: </u>Danny Granger, Gerald Green, Jarret Jack
    <u>Second Round: </u>Ryan Gomes, Mickael Gelable, Dijon Thompson, Amir Johnson

But possibly the biggest steal of them all? Eddie Basden

2. Confidence_5

Confidence_5 JBB JustBBall Member

gerald green,louis williams, lawrence roberts,julius hodge

3. RuN WiT iT

RuN WiT iT JBB JustBBall Member

That's just sad to hear from you Maverick as obviously you don't know who Louis Williams is.... The most you can say about the kid is that it will take years for him to turn into an NBA player, but this kid was a Junior out of High School.... If he went to college he would turn into a top 10 player in college.

4. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

From what I've been reading Monta Ellis & Andray Blatche sound like potential superstars in the league. Monta is drawing immediate comparisons to Gilbert Arenas, because of his ability to score and get to the basket. Andray Blatche is showing he can be effective in the post, and is quickly shedding the label of being a drifter on the perimeter.

Hard to judge Louis Williams at this point, the 76ers didn't participate in any summer leagues. We will all have to wait until pre-season to see him step on the court and compete at the pro level. If the 76ers end up signing Dajuan Wagner, it will be an interesting position battle between those two.

5. CeltixQueen

CeltixQueen JBB JustBBall Member

Green will be a great player, but at the moment he needs some time to mature and improve on his game. I would say Ryan Gomes will be a big surprise this year, he seems to be a few steps ahead of Green.

6. rookie789

rookie789 JBB Banned Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting C.K.:</div><div class="quote_post">Hakim Warrick. His talent says he should have gone at least top ten but no. You saw a lot of players with potential picked over this kid and he sees this. He sees a guy named Andrew Bynum, who never stepped foot in a college class room picked in front of him, he sees Fran Vazquez a guy who needs a translator to complete an interview. What I see is I see seven proven college players in the final 11 spots of the draft (Warrick, Head, Hodge, Simien, Garcia, Jack, and Lee). For all I know the better teams are getting the better playlers in the draft. Warrick worked his tail off for four years at Syracuse and with all the National Champions being picked high (Marvin, May, Felton, Mccants) well Warrick was a National Champ as well. Warrick will get his chance in Memphis, and it will turn out well for Hakim and for the Grizzles. Same goes for Granger as a senior who had three consistant years at New Mexico is watching all these players with potential fall and will have a chip on his shoulder.</div>

agree with every word u said warrick is a steal and has more talents than a lot of the players drafted before him he reaalllly worked hard in syracuse and he could have entered the draft after junior year but he didn't

7. lessthanjake

lessthanjake JBB JustBBall Member

wel right now, the steal's looking like salim. he's been owning people so far

8. bbwchingy0007

bbwchingy0007 BBW Member

I agree. I think Salim is the steal. I mean, to be picked up in the second round and then to average 9.6ppg in preseason is pretty good.

9. Ch3n

Ch3n JBB JustBBall Member

Francisco Garcia, Chris Taft, and Salim Stoudamire.

10. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Ch3n:</div><div class="quote_post">Francisco Garcia, Chris Taft, and Salim Stoudamire.</div>
    Agreed. I'd also add Chris Paul but he did go pretty high.

I was shocked at how good Taft is. People made him out to be totally uninterested in playing basketball at all and his skills werent good. He is already one of the top defenders on the Warriors, and I have yet to see the guy get pushed around. This guy is going to ewnd up being Dale Davis with a nasty baby hook in the post.

Garcia is just all around a good player, very versatile and really doesnt have many weaknesses.

I dont think Salim was all that great of a pick, alot of guys with more upside went after him (Louis Williams, Taft, Ellis, Marty A., Gomes) but alot of high potential guys after him also had major problems just after the draft (Roko-Leni Ukic, Blatche, Turiaf). He has shaped up to be a pretty good pick, better than I expected. Hes a great shooter and should be a nice combo guard as long as he keeps his attitude in check.

11. Ch3n

Ch3n JBB JustBBall Member

I saw this guy named Orien Green from Boston, he is also a very good player for a selection so late.

12. Crossover King

Crossover King JBB JustBBall Member

Steal

The biggest steal of the NBA Draft would have to be Hakim Warrick and Gerald Green. Players of their talent should of been the Top 5 of the Draft.[​IMG]

13. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Crossover King:</div><div class="quote_post">The biggest steal of the NBA Draft would have to be Hakim Warrick and Gerald Green. Players of their talent should of been the Top 5 of the Draft.[​IMG]</div>
    I dont think either was much of a steal. Green has alot of potetial but I highly doubt it was a coincedence that so many teams passed on him. Hes alot more raw than alot of the other high schoolers from this years draft based on summer league and preseason. Warrick has alot of potential as well but has no position, it will take him a while before he can handle and shoot well enough to play SF or bulk up enough to play PF. Both players have a ton of potential but could just as easily end up busts as they could superstars.

14. tr@cy&ya0

tr@cy&ya0 JBB JustBBall Member

head.... hes our only consistence shooter when tracy is out.. which is sad... all the veteran is supose to help him... hes not scared to show what hes made of... he getse lot of rebound for a guard... if it wasn't for him... i would have quit watching 3 rocket games...

15. Char

Char JBB Nowitzness

Nate Robinson. Years from now people will look back at the draft and wonder why people like him and Salim didn't go higher. Even to this day I wonder why some of the most insanely skilled guards don't always get drafted, like St. John's Marcus Hatten. In the draft, height is often the most appealing statsic.

16. hohoyoyoyo

hohoyoyoyo JBB JustBBall Member

nate robinson was actually thought to be a second rounder because of his size despite his 1st round worth of talent
    i wouldn't call him a steal because we all know how talented he is

I would say so far in the season, luther head is the steal
    he filled in tracy mcgriddles well, and make rafer look expandable.

17. tr@cy&ya0

tr@cy&ya0 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting hohoyoyoyo:</div><div class="quote_post">nate robinson was actually thought to be a second rounder because of his size despite his 1st round worth of talent
    i wouldn't call him a steal because we all know how talented he is

I would say so far in the season, luther head is the steal
    he filled in tracy mcgriddles well, and make rafer look expandable.</div>

your probaly jealous because we get free big macs everytime the rockets win [​IMG] haven't you guys noticed that tracy's face got a little fatter after his injury... shows a sign that hes been eating at mc donalds

18. Showtyme2642

Showtyme2642 JBB JustBBall Member

Wow... only one head mentioning?.... #24 Luther Head nuff' said

19. houston_owns_u

houston_owns_u JBB JustBBall Member

Yes, Luther Head is incredible, scoring an 28 point game at Dallas, and leading the rookies last week for three pointers at 49.0% and then rising up to the number #6 in the rookie charts. He also has amazing athleticism, a 39 inch vertical, can score from anywhere on the floor, and is a pretty smart player for a rookie. It has been said that he is a good defender too. For a player who might have been picked late 2nd round or maybe not even drafted, Head is defintely a steal. Great job to CD and JVG for picking him.

20. TDoug

TDoug JBB JustBBall Member

The steal

While I would normally look at the bottom first rounders like a Josh Howard
    who was playing like a lottery pick, this year Chris Paul was the real thing and even though he was a high pick (4) New Orleans was lucky to get him because his talent and attitude are the reason they now would be leading the Atlantic Division and have the 8th best record (a playoff spot) in the West (the West! not the slothful East). Milwaukee got a good big man but Sam Bowie was a good big man, too. Utah got the 2nd or third best point guard, but he (Williams) doesn't fight to win the same way as Chris Paul and nor does he have the knack for bonding with fellow players and building their confidence as Paul has done with David West and J.R. Smith. And the other guy taken before Paul, the huge manchild from UNC whose name escapes me, is no better than Chris Wilcox who left MD after 2 years. He will be a good player, a starter, but he will not impact the whole franchise and impact whole communities like Paul is doing for both New Orleans and Oklahoma City. Who is selling more tickets out of the top four picks? So I think Paul even at 4 was the biggest steal in every way.