OT NBA Finally Ready To Make Rule Change On Hack-A-Player

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BigGameDamian, Feb 5, 2016.

1. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Football lost me when it became a refs highlight looking at replays over and over...10 minutes between 4 second plays...I can't stand to watch it anymore. Baseball I only watch the playoffs. The escalation in intentional fouls this season is snowballing...it's happening way more than I can ever remember in NBA history..these are not isolated occasional events

2. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

But that doesn't really solve the issue.

Your'e down two, the other team has the ball and there's only 20 seconds left........ are you supposed to just let them run out the clock? Right now we would intentionally foul to stop the clock and hopefully force a miss to get the ball back in a position to tie or take the lead. If the NBA starts calling intentional fouls differently, that could completely fuck things up.

3. Natebishop3

Ehhhhhhhhhhh you can maybe make 8-10 free throws in a gym, by yourself, but I'd like to see you make 8-10 in an NBA game. And not only that, but you're not 7'0 with hands that are big enough to crush my skull.

4. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    How about only fouls in the act of shooting in the last 2 minutes get FTs? Or the fouled team (in the penalty) gets the option to take the ball out or the FTs?

riverman likes this.
  5. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

You're not paying attention. I said that the side-out option would no longer be available in the last two minutes. In the scenario you described, a foul would result in free throws.

And as mentioned above, if the rule change were limited to off-ball fouls, then a trailing team could still foul the ball-handler for possession without resulting in a side-out.

6. Natebishop3

No side-out option? Dame never hits "The Shot" and we lose game six of the Houston series

7. riverman

riverman Writing Team

That's sort of like saying Pistol Pete and Jerry West got robbed by not having a 3 pt shot so losing out on the scoring title dominance....this is about looking ahead, not back

8. Natebishop3

We are talking about taking away a major part of the strategy that goes into the end of a close game.

9. PtldPlatypus

No, I mean no option for a team to elect a side out over free throws on a foul that would normally result in free throws.

Let me take this all the way back to the beginning, so we can make sure we're on the same page. The way I would change the rule is that if a foul is committed against a player who does not possess the ball, and that foul would normally result in free throws, that player's team can elect to take a side-out with a 14-second shot clock, equivalent to a pre-penalty foul on the floor. Fouls on shooters or ball-handlers (when a team is in the penalty) would still result in free throws as they always have. This eliminates the hack-a-whoever strategy, but still preserves the ability to foul for possession when trailing late.

BBert likes this.
  10. riverman

riverman Writing Team

yup...and it's a strategy that I'd like to see go away. I'm thrilled Silver is addressing this.

11. Natebishop3

Isn't there already a penalty for fouling away from the ball in the last two minutes?

dviss1 likes this.
  12. riverman

riverman Writing Team

The counter would be that teams would look to have the ball in their better free throw shooters hands at crunch time..they wouldn't get bailed out by a bear hug at half court foul against a guy who sucks at the line. Great players throughout history have sucked at the line....that's not changing. Coaches need their best defenders on the court and it's a risk they need to take...offense for defense...they do it all the time subbing shooters for rebounders

13. PtldPlatypus

Sure is. The hack-a-player strategy (that the NBA would like to discourage) is being executed outside of that final two minute time frame.

14. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    I think it's an important point. If you can't foul to try to get more possessions to try to win, I guess players should just walk off the court at the 2 minute mark if the lead looks too great. And if you can, why can't you do it other times?

What's next, you can't guard bad shooters?

Dunks are entertaining (to some). How about you can't challenge shots within the restricted area?

Fouling to get the ball back or to improve your chance to win is a legitimate strategy. It could backfire, and it does put the offending team into the penalty.

Remember long ago the league had some kind of "3 to make 2" rule? That was dumb, but maybe they could do that for fouls away from the ball?

15. riverman

riverman Writing Team

If you're a Popovich fan, he hates the intentional foul but says he's forced by the rule to use it....I'm with Pops on this one

16. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

He isn't forced by the rule to use it. He is using it because it is sometimes a legit chance to win and he wants to win. Like anyone would. You better believe that Rivers would foul DeAndre Jordan as well if he went to DAL.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    BBert likes this.
  17. PtldPlatypus

Just like the Rockets have fouled Jordan, even though they hate it when teams foul Howard.

All coaches are hypocrites.

KeepOnRollin likes this.
  18. Natebishop3

Okay, so just expand the current rule to include all 48 minutes, but if Jordan has the ball (or Plumlee or Howard, etc) then they are fair game IMO.

19. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    The more I think about it, the more I think if the goal is to make intentially fouling away from the ball a less desirable strategy, a simple "3 shots to make 2" rule for all fouls away from the ball would be a very simple way to nudge the scales in that direction.

20. Natebishop3

I have always felt like that's a fair answer for clear path. Two shots and the ball seems extreme to me. Give 3 to make 2 and that would be fair.