OT NBA Finally Ready To Make Rule Change On Hack-A-Player

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BigGameDamian, Feb 5, 2016.

1. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Since we're changing the rules all willy-nilly to improve the spectator experience, all non-shooting fouls should be a 1-and-1. Cuts time spent on free throws in half (unless they make the 1st), and gives the trailing team a better chance to catch up and make it exciting at the end. And think of all those rebound scrums!

BBert likes this.
  2. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

I like this idea too.

3. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    Why not move the free throw line closer to the hoop, and let the player dunk?

Orion Bailey likes this.
  4. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Haha. Let them choose between a taking a free throw or making a windmill dunk. Over a Kia.

Orion Bailey and Strenuus like this.
  5. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

They have the option of either shooting the free throws, or answering American historical trivia.

6. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

I made the post as a joke, but I actually kinda like it too!

7. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Then maybe players will think about staying in college a couple more years - that education will finally pay off when they answer a trivia question to win the Finals!

Orion Bailey likes this.
  8. Natebishop3

And if we're changing rules, I would like to stop action, review fouls, and shock the shit out of players that flop. If the foul was legit, they get free throws.

9. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

Rockets announcers are for this, which should count as a vote against it.

I heard them taking about it during our last game vs them. I can't remember if it was before or after they were wondering how Plumlee got so open... Clyde won a championship how the hell does he not know how a pick and roll works?

BBert and Draco like this.
  10. Natebishop3

Of course they're for it..... they have Dwight. I'll just never get over how much they whine about flopping from the other team. It's hilarious.

11. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

I'd like to see review of all fouls and flops; but have it take effect after a stoppage in play. Have a flopin 'n foul possession queue. So if Harden flopped against the Blazers we get an extra possession once they finalize the review. They review while normal play is ongoing. Lets say 40 seconds later the ball goes out of bounds off Plumlee; we get the ball back because we're owed a possession. It would be a bunch of work in Zilcaukas but would be seemless on the court. Could even have it take effect after made baskets, so we score, get the ball back, score, get the ball back and score for an 8 point possession because of Harden's flops and Dwights elbows.

Orion Bailey and BBert like this.
  12. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    They should give the referees tasers, and whenever someone flops that player gets zapped.

13. Natebishop3

It would at least be nice if they lost free throw attempts. If a play is reviewed, and it's determined that it wasn't actually a foul, your team fouls go down one. So it would be a way to get out of the penalty.

14. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

I thought we would have experienced more of this last night with Dwight Howard. Started out that way around the 4 minute mark.

15. BigGameDamian

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/241677/NBA-Expected-To-Make-Rule-Change-On-Hack-A-Shaq

NBA Expected To Make Rule Change On Hack-A-Shaq

[​IMG]
    The NBA is planning on making rule changes to reduce the Hack-a-Shaq strategy.

DeAndre Jordan, Andre Drummond and Dwight Howard were victims of the strategy this season.

“It’s not unanimous, but there’s clearly an emerging consensus that we need to address the situation,” Adam Silver said in a meeting with the Associated Press Sports Editors on Thursday afternoon at the league’s midtown Manhattan headquarters. “Exactly what the new rule should be is open for debate, and at least I’m hoping that between now and the next owner’s meeting in July we can create and form a consensus as to what the change in the rule should be.”

Kiki VanDeWeghe, the NBA’s vice president of basketball operations said it has been easy to note the explosion in use of the strategy this season.

“It goes against the spirit of the rule book,” VanDeWeghe said. “Free throws were to compensate and deter fouls, not to encourage them. So I think we’re at the point where everyone agrees on that, not to belabor that, so what are the solutions?”

Silver was against a rule change as recently as last summer.

“Last year I was on the fence,” Silver said. “I said last year to this group, and over the summer, was let’s look at one more season of data. At [the all-star break in February], we were roughly at four times, in terms of that portion of the season compared to prior seasons, and by the end of the season we were up 2.5 times. By the way, last year’s playoffs were 10 times from the previous year’s playoffs as well.”

16. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Victims?

Fuck whoever wrote that.

Their teammates and the fans are victims of their shitty free throw shooting.

"Victims". WTF?

HailBlazers and Orion Bailey like this.
  17. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

This is great! If the rules are changed to protect those who lack certain talents, then it will only be a matter of time before I can play in the NBA - I only lack defensive skills, and offensive skills, athleticism, knowledge of the game and so on. The NBA needs to stop victimizing me and let me play.

barfo

BonesJones, BBert and riverman like this.
  18. BigGameDamian

It has to be exciting for viewing.

riverman likes this.
  19. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Umm to shoot better???? Gimme a break. Just because players cant shoot as well, put in the time, we need to change the rule? I'm not the biggest fan of hack-a anyone, but that is not the problem to address. The problem to address is the free throw shooting...or lack there of...

Kiki is smarter than that. Come on. He was a great free throw shooter if I recall correctly, so I would think he would understand that no one would hack him, so those that get hacked have to just put in more work. Cant believe he said that...

This is soooo giving the guys who suck an easy way out....pathetic in my book

20. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    99% of intentional fouls are committed all game long, against players who shoot free throws just fine. Will those fouls be outlawed, too? Or is this just more proof of the disproportionate influence of Los Angeles teams on the League Office?

How about substitution patterns, of putting in a low-FT% rebounder on defense with 1 minute to play, then on the offensive possession, replacing him with a high-FT% scorer, then on defense, replacing him with a low-FT% rebounder, etc.? How about the common practice of the inbounds passer being the worst shooter, inbounding to the best 4 shooters?

The League Office is strangely selective in which "against the spirit" strategies it allows, and which it wants to remove. It wouldn't have anything to do with Los Angeles, would it?

HailBlazers and BBert like this.