NBA GM Draft Discussion

Discussion in 'GM Draft 1' started by ZAE, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Lavalamp

Lavalamp Member

I want to draft unnamed forward! [​IMG] Then I'll draft unnamed center, and unnamed superstar guard.

2. Lavalamp

Lavalamp Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dino33 @ Jul 26 2008, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>wts the draft No. for your picks?</div>
    26th.

3. ly_yng

ly_yng Active Member

Robot Mailman
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pegs @ Jul 26 2008, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Damn it took me forever to find one of ly_ying's posts to PM him</div>

Uh, the draft signup thread?

I just got off a plane, I'll be picking soon.

Also, I probably would have taken Dwight (or another unnamed forward) over Unnamed Forward #1.

4. JCB

JCB The Savage Nation

Student
    Getting Kobe with the 5th pick just makes no sense at all. It just is not supposed to happen.

5. Lavalamp

Lavalamp Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JCB @ Jul 26 2008, 04:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Getting Kobe with the 5th pick just makes no sense at all. It just is not supposed to happen.</div>
    You just wish he dropped to 24th. [​IMG]

6. pegs

pegs My future wife.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JCB @ Jul 26 2008, 04:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Getting Kobe with the 5th pick just makes no sense at all. It just is not supposed to happen.</div>

If Dwight was picked, I probably would have traded. For an 11-15th pick, just as I said...and I would have drafted an unnamed SF [​IMG]

Isn't the NBA saying "if you're take a risk, go big"? Or something like that.

Also, I'm a Dwight fan. That might have something to do with it.

7. ly_yng

ly_yng Active Member

Robot Mailman
    I see no reason why anyone would trade out of the top 6 (well, the top 7 now). I think there are 6 guys who are good enough to build a championship-level team around, and for any other player (or group of players) it's a challenge.

8. Kid Chocolate

Kid Chocolate Suspended

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ly_yng @ Jul 26 2008, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I see no reason why anyone would trade out of the top 6 (well, the top 7 now). I think there are 6 guys who are good enough to build a championship-level team around, and for any other player (or group of players) it's a challenge.</div>

I can't believe Vince Carter fell all the way to 2! STEAL.

9. pegs

pegs My future wife.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kid Chocolate @ Jul 26 2008, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ly_yng @ Jul 26 2008, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I see no reason why anyone would trade out of the top 6 (well, the top 7 now). I think there are 6 guys who are good enough to build a championship-level team around, and for any other player (or group of players) it's a challenge.</div>

I can't believe Vince Carter fell all the way to 2! STEAL.
    </div>

Don't lie, you would've picked him if you had the chance.

10. lukewarmplay

lukewarmplay Hired Goons

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ly_yng @ Jul 26 2008, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I see no reason why anyone would trade out of the top 6 (well, the top 7 now). I think there are 6 guys who are good enough to build a championship-level team around, and for any other player (or group of players) it's a challenge.</div>

You might be right, but here's my reasoning. If there were a dominant big man around like Shaq or Duncan, I wouldn't have. But there are a ton of really excellent small forwards that aren't a huge drop-ff from Lebron. There's another reason, too, that I probably shouldn't share, but it's easy enough to figure out. And as for Kobe, he's demonstrated in the two finals he's been in recently, that without someone better than him, he self-destructs and takes his team down with him. And since there's nobody better than him right now, that means you can't really build a championship team around him.

11. JFizzleRaider

JFizzleRaider Sad Panda Global Moderator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ghoti @ Jul 26 2008, 12:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ace @ Jul 26 2008, 01:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ghoti @ Jul 26 2008, 12:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ace @ Jul 25 2008, 09:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I got the 21st pick. Looking to move up.</div>

Why?

Last year I got Chris Paul with the 23rd pick.

Maybe you should move down.
    </div>
    Tim Duncan, Kobe [​IMG]
    </div>

Tim Duncan is very possibly going to be available with your pick. Do your own mock and see where you put him.
    </div>

Guess not?

12. Lavalamp

Lavalamp Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JFizzleRaider @ Jul 26 2008, 06:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ghoti @ Jul 26 2008, 12:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ace @ Jul 26 2008, 01:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ghoti @ Jul 26 2008, 12:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ace @ Jul 25 2008, 09:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I got the 21st pick. Looking to move up.</div>

Why?

Last year I got Chris Paul with the 23rd pick.

Maybe you should move down.
    </div>
    Tim Duncan, Kobe [​IMG]
    </div>

Tim Duncan is very possibly going to be available with your pick. Do your own mock and see where you put him.
    </div>

Guess not?
    </div>
    haha! Duncan almost made it to the 21st pick lol.

13. danxcr

danxcr Active Member

dang i got a LONG.... wait very LOOOOOONG wait b4 i pick [​IMG]

man i cant to see whos on the board... damn!!! lets go guys [​IMG]

****EDIT**** cmon cmon cmon!!! haha at this rate i wont make my selection till thursday... lol... cmon guys lets speed up the process!!

14. User01

User01 GOAT

does injury-pronenocity matter in this?

15. danxcr

danxcr Active Member

How does the scoring work on this?

16. JCB

JCB The Savage Nation

Student
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (User01 @ Jul 26 2008, 10:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>does injury-pronenocity matter in this?</div>

Not necessarily, no. But remember that your peers will be voting for the teams they think would make the playoffs/championship. So, if you have a team filled with all injury-prone guys, someone could easily say: "They won't stay healthy for the entire year, so that team won't make the playoffs as a result, etc" It's okay to take one or two guys who might have had a few injury plagued seasons, but I wouldn't fill a roster with them.

17. #1_War_Poet_ForLife

#1_War_Poet_ForLife The Baker of Cakes

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pegs @ Jul 26 2008, 02:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Damn it took me forever to find one of ly_ying's posts to PM him</div>
    You can just type ly_yng in the Recipient's Name box.

Haha, Vince Carter. EPIC.

Deron and Roy should go sooner rather than later.

Gerald Wallace FEAR.

18. Lavalamp

Lavalamp Member

This is taking a lot longer for drafting than I expected. 12 rounds will take long. Couldn't we say something like next saturday at 3 PM Eastern time everyone must be online. If not then drop out and 1 of the 4 people on the replacement list will get their spot? A limit of 20 minutes per pick.

Otherwise 12*30 = 360 picks. 360 picks taking an average of 3 hours per pick + sleep time when no one picks (9 hour range) 1080 hours / 15 hours per day of picking time. That's looking at 72 days to get this done.

19. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

Yeah I've waited this long for my pick, it sucks. [​IMG]

20. Lavalamp

Lavalamp Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CelticKing @ Jul 26 2008, 11:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Yeah I've waited this long for my pick, it sucks. [​IMG]</div>

Haha, the funny thing is you`re only the 9th pick. You are going to have to wait a much longer time to get to 52nd.