NBA has become a joke

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Bingo Bango, Mar 29, 2023.

1. Bingo Bango

Bingo Bango Well-Known Member

The Blazers are sitting their starters for the rest of the season in order to get a better pick in the draft. Second year in a row. That’s how low this franchise has sunk. That’s how pathetic things have gotten. Jack Ramsay and Harry Glickman are rolling over in their graves. If you purchased tickets for your family so you could see one of the final games of the season, sorry about that. The Blazers are going to make sure they lose by putting one of the shittiest lineups you’ve ever seen on the floor. And all for what? So they can move up three spots in the draft?? So they have a slightly better chance of getting the best player? This is insanity and desperation all in one—and it’s degrading to the city and the long-suffering fans. This is not what sports is about. No high school coach ever tells his players to intentionally lose a game, because it violates the ethics of sportsmanship and fair play, and because it’s no way to go through life. But the NBA commissioner is going to look the other way, because the NBA is a joke itself.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2023
  2. Fairly-Hard

Fairly-Hard Former Member Gone New!

We get to watch the plyer they got from tanking last year. That makes it so much better. Might even be Summer league champions again?

3. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

My granddaughter was at the last game, her team was recognized as Oregon State Champions for 4th and 5th graders, which was very cool. She got a ball signed by Dame.
    Its weird to tell young kids, well, they are purposely losing games so they can maybe be great in the future.

4. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but if people don't understand that professional sports franchises cannot take things one year at a time let alone one game at a time, then wake up! When you play at any level of sports where there are no contracts then you can play for every win possible because you have uncontrollable constant churn. Once you get contracts and draft assets involved it's juvenile to think that teams need to throw everything they have at every game that they play. Load management, making sure players take care of injuries and not playing your most important players at the end of the season once you've clinched a spot in the playoffs to insure those players' availability are all ways in which teams use strategy to try and win more in the long run while sacrificing wins here and there.

That being said resting players once you know you don't have a chance to compete in the playoffs (not mathematically eliminated just common sense) so they have less wear and tear and so you get a better draft pick to trade or have a better chance to get the player you want, while simultaneously getting young players experience and evaluating players on your roster that you aren't sure about going forward with is by far the most multifaceted competitive reason to sit your best players down.

Voodoo, AldoTrapani, BBert and 3 others like this.
  5. AngryFan

AngryFan Active Member

This isn’t high school basketball and tanking isn’t something new. If your kid has a hard time understanding that maybe work harder with them on their reasoning skills.

6. BassPlaya

BassPlaya Puntificator

Shop Owner
    Exactly. Always balancing wins/load/and player development. Once the season has tilted to the lose side of the balance...development (which includes both the determination of who gets retained, and who gets paraded for other teams to acquire in a trade) becomes a rare golden opportunity. I have loved watching Trendon get rare starter minutes (before his injury), Little show more of himself, and of course Sharpe demonstrating he is on his way to controlling an offense.

If you see the remaining games as a waste, one might consider why they are watching in the first place. The odds of a championship are about 2 times in a lifetime. That's a lot of "waste".

blazerkor and BBert like this.
  7. Samuel

Samuel James “Hollywood” Robinson

Eh, they were losing ‘before’ the tank too.

MickZagger, 1 Eye Jack, Mote and 3 others like this.
  8. OneSport3

OneSport3 The Knowledge Hoarder

If we didn’t tank last season, we wouldn’t have Shaedon Sharpe on our roster. So yes, tank.

It’s not about 1 game or 1 season. It’s about the big picture.

Mote, AldoTrapani, TBpup and 2 others like this.
  9. Fairly-Hard

Fairly-Hard Former Member Gone New!

Maybe with any luck we can tank again next year and make the big picture even bigger?

Bingo Bango, Whyachi and Chris Craig like this.
  10. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Yes, the NBA is a big fucking joke. If the Blazers weren't a team in the league, I'd never watch.

Bingo Bango, Phatguysrule and Whyachi like this.
  11. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Do you not like Shaedon Sharpe? We got him by tanking last year. We’ll get another great player this year. How else do you suggest we get top talent around Dame and for after he’s gone?

12. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    This

13. blazerfan11

blazerfan11 Well-Known Member

In the 2017-18 season, the Memphis grizzlies had a record of 22 and 60. In the 2018 draft they drafted Jaren Jackson Jr. with the 4th pick.

In 2018-19 the grizzlies had a record of 33-49.
    In the 2019 draft, the grizzlies picked Ja Morant with the number two pick.

Three seasons after Ja Morant was drafted (2021-22), the Memphis grizzlies finished the season in second place in the Western Conference. This season the Memphis grizzlies are in second place in the conference.

It took 2 seasons of being bad, then a couple more seasons of being mediocre, before the Grizzlies were one of the top teams in the conference (based on conference standings).

There is no guarantee that following a similar path will get similar results.
    But (outside of Dame) with the talent level Cronin started with, being bad now offered the best odds to break out of the interminable cycle of mediocrity.

14. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    It should be said that if we had tried and won the last 3 games, we’d only be 1.5 games out of the play-in with a tiebreaker against Dallas (8th since OKC would’ve lost to us) who we play again. If we truly wanted the play-in, we quit too soon. That said, I’m glad we’re tanking for a star even though the NBA is less interesting to me now.

15. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Did the OP claim the city of Portland is being degraded by Portland not playing its four best players?

16. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

Yes I agree it has an element of toxicity.

I'm going to go to a game next week, but will be rooting for the team to lose because thats the best way for this franchise to improve long term. Not sure I will want to see the 4th quarter because I cringe at the thought of watching my favorite team with the hope they lose.

I don't fault the Blazers; but I certainly do fault the NBA structure.

BigGameDamian likes this.
  17. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Take away the incentive to lose, put every team under 500 (prob 1/2) in the lottery with equal chances. Teams that finish over 500 get some sort of incentive other than seeding.

Whyachi and Chris Craig like this.
  18. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    You don't have to hope they lose. Just know they are going to lose. Cheer hard for the players while you're there. These young guys will appreciate your support. Fan support will boost their moral and effort and performance which will make it a closer game with more exciting plays. Just enjoy the moment without worrying about winning and losing.

:cheers:

19. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    In our current situation, losing is winning. And that's worth rooting for!

glazeduck likes this.
  20. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

My definition of competing in the playoffs is one that Cronin used last year at the deadline. He said that sure we probably could have made the playoffs that season and maybe even won in the first round but we're looking to compete for championships and that team wasn't going to and neither was the one that could have made a run at the play in games but probably wouldn't have even gotten through those and definitely wouldn't have won a seven game series against any of the teams in the top 4 in the west this season.

So to say we could have competed in the playoffs is like saying that we have been competing the last few games... sure we've played the games but we weren't competitive.