NBA has become a joke

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Bingo Bango, Mar 29, 2023.

1. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

Haha great point.

2. bigbailes

bigbailes Well-Known Member

Except to a lot of people it isn't just pure entertainment and you know that full well. As much as I might love an actor, there is not the same emotional attachment that sports brings, that's the positive and negative of being a 'FANatic'! This is why sports is different from any other form of entertainment and why it is so loved, even if frustrating.

Whyachi likes this.
  3. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    So the plan then would be to tank early and save your energy for the last twenty?

4. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

I still like the auction picks or salary cap type of ideas the best. But wheel is probably second.

Tanking can help rebuild. We've seen examples of teams contend with it. Tanking can also result in long term losing culture that is difficult to rise above. We've seen examples of that too.

The nature of the 5 person NBA just means very few teams can contend unlike sports such as baseball and football. There is a need to give the noncontending teams something of interest or to build for. I'd welcome a solution that didn't have such a pure benefit to losing games.

5. bigbailes

Yea I mean the wheel has very big downsides and is a ton of luck but at least it's a thinking outside the box kind of idea. Agreed on the 5 person nature of the sport making it tough for there to actually be decent competition. People are applauding this season as being maybe the most unpredictable of the last 40 years, with 8-10 teams having a realistic shot at winning it all, that says something about the competitive nature of it all.

6. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

For YOU, maybe. But not to other fanatics of other genres of entertainment. Look at Trekkies, Star Wars fans, etc. They clearly have an emotional attachment to their form of entertainment. There's people on this site who have been nothing but negative the entire like 14 years I've been on here. Anything positive said is almost always done as kind of a backhanded compliment, or comes with a...however. I feel like if I was passionate about something, and in 14 years, seemingly never got joy out of it, I'd stop myself from continuing. There's other sports. There's other forms of entertainment. There's other hobbies to partake in that I would hope might give someone joy. But I think some people just like to be miserable, or live their life being negative all the time, and finding ways to be negative consistently. Like I said, life's too short.

7. BassPlaya

BassPlaya Puntificator

Shop Owner
    This guy gets it.

Hoopguru and blazerkor like this.
  8. BassPlaya

BassPlaya Puntificator

Shop Owner
    Exactly. There were major fans of the Dark Tower series books and when the movie came out, they were pissed/ticked/devastated/angry that Roland was a black guy. Yet they watched it and went on and on on all the fan sites about how much bullshit that was. They'll watch another one if it was realeased......and likely complain about it. Sports fans more dedicated? Lol.....I've seen Star Wars fans camp out for a freaking week to see a movie opening....on concrete!

SharpesTriumph and RR7 like this.
  9. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

I do think that fanaticism of the other areas of interest that you are referencing are far more niche than sports fanatics. Is that fair to say?

BassPlaya likes this.
  10. BlayZa

BlayZa Misbehaving responsibly

Media/Advertisng
    its sad but its our MO really, middle of the pack - in perpetuity. we cant seem to get any notable needle moving free agents to come here, nor seem to be viable partners for key trades in most cases. We occasionally hit nice in a draft and get a gem player, but we invariably get stuck in the perpetual loop immediately after.

the grizz, kings, okc, atlanta etc all went thru some very low times and rebuilt well, our reluctance to actually rebuild in totality means we are one foot in, one foot out on that process - leaving us where? in the middle.

11. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

I have a feeling only the fans of teams that suck think the league is a joke?

cdub503, blazerkor and RR7 like this.
  12. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

And I only people who work for the league don't.

Shaboid likes this.
  13. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

This is 100% correct. This is a thread based completely on bitterness. Does anyone in here think that Warriors fans think that the league is a joke? Does anyone in here think that Lakers fans think that the league is a joke? Maybe it's a joke to have teams in small markets. I don't think it is but I think it's pretty fucking funny that so many on here think that things should be fair for us or that the league should go to further lengths than they already do to make things fair for us.

The NBA hasn't ever been a joke and it definitely hasn't become a joke. If you're not a fan of basketball at the highest level it has ever been played at, then go do something else.

THE HCP likes this.
  14. bigbailes

The camping out for a week was two decades ago ... that stuff is so few and far between now. Yes those people are fanatics for sure, but when is the last time you saw millions of people come out for a celebration over a movie like a championship parade? Sports is a totally different beast when it comes to fanaticism. I agree some take it way too seriously and are always mad, if it brings you zero joy, than yes they should probably move on. My guess is a lot of people that you find to be constantly negative on here find joy in annoying those of you that are always positive, as sick as that may be.

15. BassPlaya

BassPlaya Puntificator

Shop Owner
    I don't work for the league. I certainly don't think it sucks. The way fans view the game and what they "deserve" as a fan, has changed drastically. If there is a thing about the league I am really disappointed in, it's the way the games are called. Taking three steps is not called travelling. Also, holding the ball like a football while guys hack at your arms is also not basketball. That said, the Blazers a group of good people. They play hard, and I root for them.

Fairly-Hard and RR7 like this.
  16. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    Just be up front with the kids. They’ll thank you later.

Sugar coating shit does no favors long term.

17. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

Nobody’s really talking about the soft load management bullshit that we have going on in the NBA. We saw Embiid ducking Joker and I hope he gets penalized in the MVP race selection for it.

18. HomerLovesKoolAid

HomerLovesKoolAid I have a well-known member.

Check my new avatar!

BassPlaya and THE HCP like this.
  19. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

I think we agree. The players nowadays are amazing. The product inconsistency sucks.

20. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

You sir/ma’am are correct!