Rumor NBA Planning Changes To All-Star Game In 2018

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BigGameDamian, Mar 4, 2017.

1. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/245183/NBA-Planning-Changes-To-All-Star-Game-In-2018

[​IMG]
    Adam Silver said Friday that changes will come to the league's All-Star Game next year.

Chris Paul called Silver to discuss changing the All-Star Game shortly after the Western Conference defeated the Eastern Conference 192-182 in a game that was short on defense.

"Chris said, 'We need to fix this,'" Silver said while speaking on a panel with FiveThirtyEight's Nate Silver at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference. "There is kind of a groupthink notion out there that when you have general managers and coaches in essence saying, 'Go easy, don't forget this is just for fun.'

"I just think this is one where we just have to reset," Silver continued. "Chris' suggestion was let's get back with maybe the same group we negotiated the collective bargaining -- Michael Jordan on the owners' side, Jeanie Buss, Wyc Grousbeck, James Jones, Kyle Korver and LeBron [James] and others -- let's all get back together and figure out a way to do this."

Silver and Paul discussed ideas like having team captains select starters, or including a four-point shot.

"It is an All-Star Game, and you are out there to have fun," Silver said. "You hear people talking about 4-point shots, something that's not about to happen in the NBA but maybe in an All-Star Game; maybe there's a few spots on the floor where it is a 4-point shot, maybe there's a half-court shot in the last minute that is 10 points. I don't know. Maybe those are crazy ideas.

"I encourage people [to email] Adam@NBA.com," Silver added. "We will change it by next year. It shouldn't be playoff intensity, but the guys should be playing."

Darkwebs likes this.
  2. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    A four-point shot (and ten-point shot) helps the issue of lack of intensity and no defense? I'm not seeing it.

3. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    OMG That is some stupid shit. Yeah, the problem with the all star game is that it needs a 4 point shot. SMH

BonesJones likes this.
  4. bodyman5000 and 1

bodyman5000 and 1 Lions, Tigers, Me, Bears

Just give the winning team one million dollars per player. There is so much money involved it is a drop in the bucket. The players make millions already but a million for one game will motivate them.

Wizard Mentor, BonesJones and dviss1 like this.
  5. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

What if the players had to wear the mascot uniforms of their teams for the 4th quarter?

Maybe they should chug a beer for every 10 points the opposing team scores?

What if they held the game outside, and wore speedos instead of uniforms?

What if each team had to play a randomly selected fan from the audience at point guard?

So many ways to improve the game.

barfo

6. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

Make it like baseball, winner gets HCA in the finals.

7. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Just give each team a ball and let them run a two hour layup line at both ends of the court for two hours. Other than the second ball, that's pretty much what the game has become anyway.

BNM

H.C., BonesJones and dviss1 like this.
  8. Blazers Roy

Blazers Roy Well-Known Member

It's a big problem when key guys in the league think that competition contradicts fun.

BonesJones likes this.
  9. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    The NBA All-Star game is as much a waste of time as the Pro Bowl--players understandably don't want to go hard and risk an injury in an exhibition game. I wouldn't either, in their place. But the result is a boring scrimmage.

10. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Add a three point or ten point shot? You wanna make the game better? Get RID of the three point shot.
    If you add a 4 or a 10, that is ALL the players will do. Cross half court and shot the long bomb. rebound. Cross the half court, shoot the long bomb.

If they want to improve the game, then they should have incentives for Defense.
    Player with the most blocks gets... something. Money, A serious place in the record books with a defensive player of the game award. get charities involved. Like the Women Against Violence Defensive Player Award.

You wanna get serious about making the game better then you need to limit this offensive onslaught.
    Changing the game from the regular season is not what I want , and I bet most people done want.
    I want to see the best go up against the best in the same type of game as regular season so we can assess who is better.
    Screw changing the game from the regular season.

BonesJones and PtldPlatypus like this.
  11. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    How about making the players actually care? Just a thought....

12. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

How about a triangular court, with 3 teams playing at once, and two balls?

barfo

BonesJones and Orion Bailey like this.
  13. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

Well, I know what I'm doing tonight...

14. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

What would make it interesting is to have a big man vs little man all star game. Everyone over 6'9 on one team, everyone below on another.

Dougnsalem and PtldPlatypus like this.
  15. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

I can fix the all star game.

Losing team has to visit Trump in the White House.

BlazerWookee and BonesJones like this.
  16. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

I can see it now, everyone will be emphasizing defense, screaming, "build a wall around the basket!"

17. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    The problem is too much fun. The decision-makers are the dumbest group they could find. They will make it worse and even more stupid. Also, most of the stupidity is between events, and Silver is talking only about changing the main events.

18. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    I agree that the All Star Game should decide which conference gets HCA in the Finals. That is the only way to truly improve the game. Once upon a time, the All Star game did mean something. I remember back in the 90s/early 00s where you could see "oh wow Tracy McGrady stands out from all the rest" or "Pippen is clearly the best player in the league now."

19. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

OT comment, Sorry: @KingSpeed I had no idea you played such a prominent role right out of the Gate!! Very cool!!! We finally got to start watching Bones over the last week; 4 episodes in now.
    I must say though.. you have put on weight since then. Whats up with that? Sounds like you need to be hoopin' it up a bit more! ;)
    Now I'm pissed I didn't have you sign that team ball. Probably the most valuable sig on the ball aside from Dame and CJ!

20. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

It hasnt worked well at all for baseball.

I have mixed views on this. There def. needs to be something to motivate them though, that's for sure.
    How about, any player on the losing side has to forfeit a nights salary to a nonprofit of their choice? That might backfire so it could be...all about the cause...
    Okay. The losing side has to forfeit a nights salary to the winning side.
    Done. They make alot of money, but they also hate giving away money. And if a night isn't enough, raise it to the point that it is. A weeks salary.

I am not a big fan of letting an outside entity affect the finals. A great team in a shitty city might lose to a lesser team in a great city all because of the all star game and thus the better team couldn't pull one out on the road, but defended home court just the same as the other team did? Doesn't seem right. Plus sometimes one side is simply stacked with the better super stars and its not an even match up.