Game Thread NBA PLAY-IN - PELICANS @ CLIPPERS - APRIL 15, 2022 - FRIDAY - 7:00 PM (PDT) TNT

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Chris Craig, Apr 14, 2022.

1. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

you're telling me this move that he made would not have been available at the draft?

2. Graduate32

Graduate32 Well-Known Member

I don't necessarily think there was a mandate in reality, but I'd encourage you to go back and read the board from Dame's injury on. There was an overwhelming desire from almost every sector to move on from CJ ASAP, and I guarantee that people would be equally flustered with Cronin if he hadn't traded CJ.

I also don't think CJ's value was ever going to be higher in the future than it was in February. Heck, if you talk diehard fans of other teams, most saw CJ on his contract as negative value. Hart, financial flexibility, and draft assets (even if they turn out minor) are at least positive value.

RR7 likes this.
  3. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

In order to create added flexibility, expiring contract was needed. Satoransky s expiring would nit be able to be moved at the draft

4. HoopsFanAZ

HoopsFanAZ Well-Known Member

I really didn’t like trading Powell. The rest … okay. I do like Hart as 3rd guard. And I’m not against getting Grant for the Pelican Pick. That means there’s plenty to disagree with me about. :cool:

I’ve moved on to having hope in the draft lottery and an improved team. Charlotte getting a non-lottery pick still wakes up the next day still being Charlotte. The Pels losing tonight but getting into the top 4 would have Laker lovers in full outrage mode … which would be hilarious and comforting in their misery. I’ll have to settle for the Blazers getting the Pelican Pick and having Cronin draft either Sochan or Jovic.

5. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

I've said before I think Cronin might have been able to extract a little more from the CJ trade. Maybe as much as getting the better of the Pels and Laker picks, both protected for top-4; if neither conveys then the Laker 2024 pick. But maybe that would have been asking too much. I certainly don't think Cronin could have got an unprotected pick for CJ. Nobody would pay a top-4 pick for CJ.

but another poster here listened to Jake Fisher on a podcast and Fisher talked about a couple of other offers he heard about. One was from Atlanta that was Gallinari, filler, and a future 1st. The other was from Dallas that was Powell, Kleber and a future pick

I like Powell, but those 2 trades don't seem as good as what Portland got from the Pels. Maybe Powell is better than Hart, maybe not. Obviously, Nance has to factor in but he simply doesn't have much value. Olshey was a fucking idiot to trade a 1st that was obligated for 7 years for Nance

so, it you believe Fisher then the market for CJ was not good which is what some of us have suspected all along

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
    Titan and RR7 like this.
  6. illmatic99

This is what I had said prior to the moves:

http://www.sportstwo.com/threads/rebuild-around-dame.372282/#post-5289372

Natebishop3 likes this.
  7. illmatic99

Fine, but i mean this is pedantic at this point if we're gonna say that we HAD to trade him to the Pels. If CJ had improved his value as he has now, perhaps other deals would have presented themselves.

8. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Powell would be a 6th man making almost 17 million a year next season. Unless we wanted to do the stupid start him at the 3. 17 a year for a 6th man on a team that isn't a contender is a bad use of $$, IMO.

9. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

I've wanted CJ gone for a long long time but never wanted us to take back so little for him. To be honest the idea of CJ staying and increasing his trade value by playing the way he had in the past when not playing with Dame wouldn't have been that big of a deal for me... as long as the idea was to move him in the off season with his trade value increased. I'd put up with it for like five seasons, I wouldn't even have had to put up with the redundancies of Dame/CJ for the rest of this one. That might have meant our pick went to Chicago instead of being in the lotto like it is but it would have freed up a lot of future picks at the same time. If the pick conveys then it was just a little in favor of the Pelicans but if it doesn't we got fleeced and there is no arguing that we got fleeced in the first one. Someone just said that they liked Justise better than RoCo which is fine but if that was one trade the other was Norm for Keon and a second rounder that is pure robbery.

10. Graduate32

Graduate32 Well-Known Member

Who else would have had interested in CJ? I've heard nary a whisper of other teams in the mix when it came down to it. Knicks may have been interested, but only in exchange for the bloated Fournier contracts of their roster. Have we even heard of a single other team that was even gauging the market on CJ over the last year and a half? I can't think of any.

Do you mind citing a report that CJ offers were lowered due to RoCo-Norm deal? I don't remember that and perhaps need a refresher. The only information I remember on the matter is that Cronin argued that opposite in fact. He was getting trash deals for CJ because of the fact that every other team knew they had to get under the tax. Cronin would argue that RoCo-Norm deal (good, bad, or otherwise) increased the return for CJ. But if you can point otherwise, I am happy to be corrected.

To be clear, I am not necessarily advocating that Cronin should be hired longterm, but rather that this retroactive bashing of this deal because this gamble lost is inanity.

OneSport3 and RR7 like this.
  11. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

pretty sure that's a given by now. They don't care about the team, just the profits

12. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

If he improved his value, that also likely means we go in to the play in, and maybe dame comes back. And then we send our Pick to Chicago, and wr go into the offseason another 1st round exit, needing to trade CJ, with no other assets really to work with. Ouch.

13. Haakzilla

Haakzilla Well-Known Member

SEOWebDesignLLC.com
    In Lue We Trust.

14. illmatic99

Cronin said so in his Trade Deadline recap interview. He said they were leveraged in subsequent deals because teams held it against us that we were above the tax and making bad offers.

15. illmatic99

is that really a worse place than we are in now? We will have maybe ONE moveable asset and fake capspace.

16. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Powell for a recent 1st rounder that was only 19, younger than half the guys in the lottery this year and a 2nd rounder is fine value. It's not a HR, we ripped them off obviously, but that's a fair deal.

17. blazerkor

I have no clue why so many of you are sticking up for Cronin. The dude has done a bad job. I don't want someone who can't chew gum and walk (cut future salary and get back decent value) at the same time to be our GM. For me he's only proven that he sucks and for those of you arguing to keep him your argument seems to be that he doesn't suck that bad. Again this is one of thirty of these positions in the world, we don't have to settle for doesn't suck that bad, we need someone who is good to spectacular. There is only one reason why Vulcan would not think Joe has failed his job interview and that's if they don't give a shit about how competitive our team is and just care that he saved them some money... that's pretty scary for us as fans going forward. FIRE CRONIN!!!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
  18. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

Trading CJ was key to our tank as well remember.

19. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

CJ, and our future picks, with a bloated salary, versus a top 6 pick most likely, a 20 million dollar TPE, a 2025 pick, or 11, 2 2nd rounders and Hart? Yeah, I like the latter MUCH more.

20. blazerkor

If we were tearing the team down for a rebuild the deal would still be pretty bad but when you have the GM saying that he's doing it to build a contender starting next season... it's fucking awful.