Game Thread NBA PLAY-IN - SPURS @ PELICANS - APRIL 13, 2022 - WEDNESDAY - 6:30 PM (PDT) ESPN

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Chris Craig, Apr 11, 2022.

?

Who wins?

1. Pelicans

13 vote(s)
    65.0%
  2. Spurs

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  1. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    What were those offers?

BBert likes this.
  2. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

Basically expiring contracts/salary fillers and one late first.

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  3. Graduate32

Graduate32 Well-Known Member

According to Jake Fischer, the offers weren't nailed down, but along the lines of Hawks: Gallinari, filler, and a pick; Mavs: Powell, Kleber, filler, future pick, etc. What seemed clear is that Hawks weren't offering any of Collins, Bogdanovic, Huerter, or Hunter. And from what Fischer could tell, Brunson and Finney-Smith were off the table for the Mavs, not sure about Hardaway.

Needless to say, I left that conversation feeling much better about the NOP offer. We can all certainly agree that CJ is worth more than we got, but I think it is reasonably likely that we got as much as we could have given the market. And FWIW, I am also in the camp that CJ's value a couple of years ago really wasn't much higher.

4. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

I must have missed it...what were those offers?

5. Wade Garrett

Wade Garrett Exactly right.

Like I said yesterday:
    We traded CJ McCollum, Larry Nance, and (my buddy) Tony Snell, to New Orleans for Josh Hart, Did Louzada, and(and this is the tricky part, gonna require some outside the box thinking..) Anfernee Simons, and a possible lottery pick.
    Anfernee being elevated is most definitely an aspect of that trade.
    Hence, the "addition by subtraction" concept. Not to mention CJ's salary.
    A fantastic deal, IMO.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2022
  6. wizenheimer

I like Powell quite a bit; he'd be a really nice PF for Portland. Not impressed with Kleber. If the Blazers could have worked their way into that Mavs/Wizards trade and got Powell + Dinwiddie for CJ that would have been a pretty good return. I've never liked Hardaway much. I'm skeptical though that the Mavs would have traded both Porzingis and Powell. That's a lot of length to give up

7. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

The Blazers will be back in that salary position next season when they re-sign Simons and Nurkic, and likely trade for Grant and then way over pay him.

Wade Garrett likes this.
  8. wizenheimer

maybe yes, maybe no

but think about their position if it was:

Damian Lillard $42,492,492
    CJ McCollum $33,333,333
    Larry Nance Jr. $9,672,727
    Norman Powell $16,758,621
    Nassir Little $4,171,548
    Greg Brown III $1,563,518
    Trendon Watford $1,563,518
    Jusuf Nurkić $17,000,000
    Anfernee Simons $25,000,000
    Andrew Nicholson $2,844,429

that right there is 154M for just 9 players. That's 5M over the projected tax line and the Blazers would still have to add 5 players. Worse is that nearly 120M, essentially the entire salary cap, would be tied up in four 6'3 & under guards, not a one of whom can play even average defense

that is basically the team that 'raced' out to a record that was 10 games under .500 halfway thru this season. That is welding mediocrity trudging on a treadmill in purgatory

I think a lot of posters haven't clued into the reality that there was absolutely no way Seattle was going to agree to pay significant tax for that team. I'll say again that I believe Cronin's marching orders were to be a hatchet-man and dismantle the idiotic roster that olshey-vision built.

9. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Hopefully, it will be a more balanced roster next season with more team friendly contracts, but yeah we are going to be close to the tax. Lillard, Simons, Nurkic, and likely Grant will be $100,000,000 alone.

10. wizenheimer

here's a very germane question: would you rather pay 100M for CJ-Powell-Nance-Nurkic-Simons or 60M for Simons-Grant-Nurkic? That's a 40M difference and that difference offers a lot of flexibility

RR7 and Idog1976 like this.