OT NBA Players who won't "break out" or will regress or bust this season?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by RipCityDSCPL, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    It definitely could be, but it's hard to tease out how much of his lower percentages were a case of trying to shoot contested threes off the dribble on a terrible team were he was (miscast as) a featured option. It may or may not be coincidence that his percentage shot up in a motion- and team-oriented system, but I'd bet on him to continue shooting well moving to a team with the same system but infinitely better talent. A lot of times, no defender will be within a mile of him.

2. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

True, although he also seems like the JR type that shoots better when they're contested.

3. riverman

riverman Writing Team

lamarcus.jpg this guy
    regress

Chris Craig and RipCityDSCPL like this.
  4. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    You are the Jolly Green Giant of mods.

Dougnsalem likes this.
  5. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

Aaron Gordon won't break out

Serge Ibaka will regress

Mario Hezonja busts

6. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

No "Magic" in Orlando. Ibaka wasn't even there a full season, but could not escape the curse.

BNM

7. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Im gonna get alot of hate on here for this one, but Jordan Bell will be a bust. Thomas Robinson type of bust

A couple players that will regress...

Westbrick. He will not average another double double and his efficiency will be even worse this year, than last.

Hayward. He was the product of a team concept and environment. He ill not fit in near as well as Boston thinks, and will struggle to be a solid, consistent contributor.

Isiah Thomas will also regress along with Horford.

The Boston Team as a whole, while looking better on paper, will be worse than last year.

Paul Milsap signs new big and probably last major contract and becomes a fraction of what he was in Atlanta. (This will help us immensely)

8. SIeepwalker

SIeepwalker The lone sane poster

Since when do players picked in the 2nd round "bust" ? Robinson was picked #5, ahead of Lillard, so I don't really get the comparison...

PtldPlatypus likes this.
  9. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Just to piss you off.

I think Lonzo Ball is going to be often injured, and thus: bust.

10. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Definitely going with LaMarcus Aldridge as my regress
    Not break out will be Ball. I think he has a year or two to grow.
    Sleeper and this is not a joke will be Meyers. Not sure why because he has not come close yet. but Talkin Ball and Courtside have both done segments on how hard he is working on post moves. I think Meyers gets moved (maybe by the deadline) and does well somewhere else.

11. SwissBlazer

SwissBlazer Well-Known Member

RipCityDSCPL and riverman like this.
  12. riverman

riverman Writing Team

That pic was probably the moment Duncan decided to retire a year earlier than he'd said before...one year with y'know who and he'd had enough...quit while basketball was still fun!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  13. Boob-No-More

Bell is really in a can't fail situation. No one expects him to score and with all the offensive firepower GSW has, he won't need to. Shit, he only averaged 5 ppg in summer league, but all we heard about was how great his defense was. Meanwhile, Zach Collins averaged 6.7 ppg and played really good defense, but all we heard about was how much of a bust he is and who we should have drafted instead - AFTER ONE SUMMER LEAGUE GAME.

It's all about expectations (and around here, personal agenda). Collins, at 19 with 1-year of college experience, was chosen 10th. So, people (especially in this forum) expect him to be a great 2-way player and contribute immediately. Bell was a second round pick. So, in spite of being three full years older with three years of college experience, if he doesn't score and blocks a few shots, people will be all gaga over him and pissed off that we didn't pick him.

BNM

14. Boob-No-More

Disgaree. In terms of team concept and environment, I think Brad Stevens knows how to get more out of Gordon Hayward than anyone on the planet. They came THIS close to winning it all in the NCAA Final Four:

Yeah, it was a last second half court heave, but the fact that Butler was that close to beating Duke speaks volumes for the Stevens/Hayward combination. Tiny Butler almost upset mighty Duke and a roster loaded with blue chip recruits.

Even if Hayward doesn't score quite as much in BOS as he did in UTA, BOS has Jalen Brown and Jayson Tatum both ready to pick up any slack. The Celtics will miss Avery Bradley's defense, but with the additions of Hayward and Tatum and a year of improvement from Jalen Brown, they should be more than fine in the ever increasingly shitty Eastern Conference.

BNM

lawai'a likes this.
  15. lawai'a

lawai'a Well-Known Member

yea on the Millsap part. his 3pt pct. declined again, his rebound pct took a real hit last season to a very mediocre 12.5%. maybe DHoward impacted that some. time on the 3pt line hoisting up 3.5 a game/hitting 31%last year and 32% the season before probably doesn't make Denver better than the blazers. I think he declines significantly.

16. lawai'a

lawai'a Well-Known Member

don't forget our own cj upsetting #2 duke.

BBert likes this.
  17. Boob-No-More

DEN was smart to make the third year of his $90 million contract a team option. They basically overpay him for two years and if he drops off they can cut him loose after two years.

BNM

18. Boob-No-More

Talk about pedigree! That Duke team had two Plumlees, a Curry and a Rivers, and they STILL couldn't beat one McCollum!

BNM

Shaboid, RickyJoe, riverman and 3 others like this.
  19. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Only comparing them because of this forum and how some have long thought that Trob was the man. Alot of people on here think he will be good and thought we should have took him. The more of his play I have seen I think he doesn't make it.

My fault was thinking the expectations here, not nationally. Here many think Bell will be good. I disagree and say he is out of the league in three years.

20. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    I think he'll be a Tristan Thompson type player, except better at switching every position. I think he'll be great at switching, a good shot-blocker and rebounder and will get you some garbage points. I definitely don't see him out of the league in a few years--he won't be a star, but I think he'll be a high-caliber supporting player.