Exclusive NBA Trade Deadline Thread 2024

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by kjironman1, Jan 10, 2024.

1. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

I highly doubt the team will look the same next year. That will pretty much begin at this years trade deadline. Which is scheduled for Feb 8th 2024. I believe it will again be over at 3:00 PM Eastern time again.
    Lots of different trade threads. Obviously there is lots of talk about getting rid of Brogdon and Grant.
    I wonder if Simons isn't also on the block? I really wonder if he will be on the Blazers next year? Is there a chance Ayton is sitting because they have a place to send him? Do we honestly think he is the center of the future for this team? Many are saying we are stuck with his contract.

Biggest thing I see is there is a bunch of moves they need to make and I highly doubt they can get them all done in a timely fashion. This rebuild is looking bigger and longer with every blowout loss.

Then there is the growing question??? IS Chauncey the right coach to lead us through a rebuild?

How about New Ownership? This is a huge question IMO.

This thread is a thread to discuss all these questions and any other questions that you might have about the length (Few Years? Fewer Years, Few More Years) and what is realistic as far as how good the team could be?

RR7 likes this.
  2. kjironman1

Guess I should have added another question on Chauncey? Can he recruit? Are there players out there that want to come play for him?

3. Labinot41

Labinot41 Well-Known Member

Brogdon and Grant shouldn't be on the Blazers roster post trade deadline. They're not the future.

maxiep, blazerkor and kjironman1 like this.
  4. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    There's a good case to be made for trading Brogdon since the Blazers have decent guard depth and Ant is experienced. Unless trading Grant returns a decent PF as a part of the package, which it probably won't since the team trading for him is undoubtedly thin at that position, I'm not sure how the Blazers navigate the rest of the season. I've never bought in on the notion that the way to improve young players is simply to dump the vets and throw the young guys to the wolves.

kjironman1, Hoopguru and Pinwheel1 like this.
  5. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

I often like to try to go team by team to see who could target our guys in trade. For Grant, in the East I can see maybe Philly, Indy, and Chicago if they are stupid. Most of the rest, for one reason or another, seem very unlikely to me.
    In the West, Sacramento, Dallas, maaaybe GS?

Most of the other teams are either rebuilding, too far out, have a better player at the position, or have a young guy at the position they likely prefer. Not a huge market, IMO, and I imagine Grant is still here past the deadline.

Of those, Philly doesn't have any interesting young players. They have expirings in Covington and Morris who we can waive. THeir picks, they have least favorable of '26 OKC, Houston, LAC, '28 Clippers pick, their own '29 1st.

Indy likely salary matching would have to be Hield+. One of Toppin, Smith, McConnel(unlikely with Haliburton going down). They have all of their own picks, as well as least favorable of OKC, Houston, LAC, or Utah.

Sacramento would likely be Barnes+ for salary. They owe Atlanta their '24 pick. They have no incoming picks.

Dallas salary matching would be taking on meh contracts for next year in Hardaway and Holmes. Hardaway has been playing well for them however. Dallas owes their pick to NYK this season, and owes their '29 pick. So could get 26 pick, but that's basically it.

GS, Paul or Wiggins for matching. We have their '24 pick, Washington has their '30 pick. So 26 and 28 in play.

Propagandist likes this.
  6. kjironman1

If they off load that pick some people including me will probably have a problem with that.

7. CJ_is_Gone

CJ_is_Gone Well-Known Member

Agree 100%

e_blazer and kjironman1 like this.
  8. robson

robson Active Member

I believe Timelord is the player Billups would love to have, but we all know...

I don't think Grant is close to PF, that match Billups philosophy. I, personally don't like his style neither. He is really big SG.

As for Indiana trade - they are really good at scoring and really bad in rebounding. If it is their style, Grant is great fit:)
    For team we have now, I would tread him for Ed Davis.

9. robson

robson Active Member

How is exactly Grant helping young guys now?

illmatic99 and blazerkor like this.
  10. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

I wasn't saying we would move that pick, I was listing the assets they have or do not have.

11. Whyachi

Whyachi Well-Known Member

Grant is a proffesional tanker. He fakes injuries so the team can play 100% developing players in the final month of the season. He did it in Detroit, and now with Portland. He's a great locker room guy, loves the game of basketball, and has no issues getting benched so the kids can see more action.

12. kjironman1

I get ya. Just thinking about GS and what certain players might cost.

13. kjironman1

And the Kardashian lady seemed to like him at one point as well.

Whyachi likes this.
  14. GrandpaBlaze

GrandpaBlaze Predictions Game Master

People I would love to see gone:
    • Grant
    • Ant
    • Brogdon
    Grant and Brogdon don't fit with the team's timeline and I'm tired of tunnel-vision-Anfernee. Yes, he occasionally has a good game with respect to assists but he is very much CJ 2.0 (or 3.0 if you want to count the real 2.0 in CJ Elleby) and he doesn't fit with team basketball.

Will the team be worse? On paper yes. On court, don't know how they can get much worse.

While we're at it, can we trade Billups as well? Not sure perhaps the Pistons and Blazers could do a coach swap. Dunno.

kjironman1 and blazerkor like this.
  15. kjironman1

Has a coach ever been traded. Guess it’s worth a shot?

16. BankTeller

BankTeller Well-Known Member

https://www.nba.com/blazers/news/blazers-host-six-players-in-first-workout-since-draft-lottery

There’ve been some who said Cronin lucked into Camara, Camara wasn’t actually a Schmitz pick, etc: someone posted this article on Reddit. This was last summer, first name on the workout like—Toumani Camara.

Don’t be surprised if we find some random dude on the team through a Brogdon/Grant deal. Maybe the plan includes drafting Tristan da Silva (the only other recognizable name to me from that list) or Daron Holmes (Toumani’s college teammate C that was in that same workout, this year he looks like he has a 3pt shot) with one of the 2nds this year.

Whoever the young guys are, I trust that Schmitz has done his due diligence.

BIG Q, kjironman1 and rotary111 like this.
  17. BankTeller

Someone posted that article and titled it “I think I found our deadline trade targets”. A little tongue in cheek coming from OP I would imagine, but I would not be surprised if Jones (making $2m for another three years) is a main target for the Blazers from the Kings (who is a competitor for Grant).

upload_2024-1-10_21-45-53.jpeg

upload_2024-1-10_21-47-12.jpeg

Either if these deals, I’d be happy with. I don’t particularly care about Mitchell vs Venzenkov, I’d just want two 1sts and the #34 pick in last year’s draft. 2 1sts and an interesting prospect is about as good as we can hope for with Grant imo. Jarace Walker with no draft compensation attached is still just a pipedream, and I think people are more into the idea of Kuminga than the actual Kuminga. I’m more of a Moses Moody guy myself.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2024
    kjironman1 likes this.
  18. BankTeller

Some interesting comments on Reddit regarding Colby Jones’ game (around 10 months ago):

- he’s got “30th pick who ends up as your fifth best starter” written all over him.

- he’s got a little Malcolm Brogdon to his game. Pretty high floor guy that will definitely stick in the league.
    (Don’t totally agree with the Brogdon comparison, but apparently, a lot of people can see a big utility guard who can kind of do everything. 4-1 ast/to ratio is no small feat though.)

- Reminds me of a big Andre Miller, with a reply saying to this saying “I was thinking more Malcolm Brogdon for a more modern comparison”
    (Hmm, maybe I have to watch more of him to be convinced, but more than just a couple of people are seeing this)

19. Ha Seung-Boumtje-Boumjte

Ha Seung-Boumtje-Boumjte Active Member

A way better comparison for Colby Jones is the silent film era and the incomparable Mildred Harris, Charlie Chaplin's first wife.

Brogdon's assist-to-turnover ratio may rival a Swiss bank account, but Jones, like Harris, thrives on defying expectations. Consider this: Harris once held the record for most films made before the age of 18, proving she, just like Jones, knew how to make an entrance before their peers could tie their cinematic shoelaces.

Brogdon may be the picture of corporate-approved professionalism, but Jones and Harris share a penchant for off-court drama. Harris' scandalous divorce from Chaplin, complete with accusations of Chaplin's "ungovernable jealousy" and Harris' "excessive temper," echoes Jones' tendency to keep the rumor mill churning with his flamboyant fashion choices and social media presence. They're both box-office gold, on and off the court/screen.

Brogdon may be a reliable starter, but Jones and Harris are masters of the unexpected. Remember Harris' career resurgence in the 1930s, starring in talkies after silent films faded? Jones, too, seems to revel in defying conventional narratives, his career trajectory like a no-look pass, leaving analysts gasping for air.

Brogdon may leave the post-game interviews to the professionals, but Jones and Harris share a gift for the gab. Harris penned scathing articles about Chaplin, her words as audacious as Jones' off-court antics, including leaking information about other players' locker-room hygiene to the press..

Don't reach for the tired Brogdon comparison. Remember Mildred Harris, the silent film siren whose life and career were a testament to audacity, theatricality, and an unquenchable thirst for the spotlight. Colby Jones, like Harris, is a one-person show, a walking kaleidoscope of talent and drama. He's not just a player, he's an experience.

20. BankTeller

Pepperidge Farm might remember, but I personally don’t lmao. Glad you’ve lived long enough to make that comparison though. You must’ve had quite a life. This comparison seems incredibly far fetched.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, and you’re completely entitled to your opinion, but where is all this coming from? From every comment I’ve seen, especially from Xavier fans, they rave about him having a SUPER work ethic and continuously take about his hustle. Do you know something no one else does? Please list an article or two, I’d actually be interested in seeing them to make better assessments. I literally can’t find one, I’ve only been going off game tape and opinions of people who are more familiar with his game. You sound like you’re describing Cam Whitmore, but I continuously see his name mentioned here as someone to bring in for one of our vets. As far as I’m concerned, everything you’ve said is conjecture.