Exclusive NBA Trade Deadline Thread 2024

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by kjironman1, Jan 10, 2024.

1. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

No reason to trade Grant unless they get a very good return.
    Not getting a 1st for Brogdon was disappointing but in the grand scheme of things...not a big deal.

BBert, PCmor7 and Tince like this.
  2. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

A lot of the things you listed were in fact, bigger moves than what was done the previous 8 years to his arrival. If you want to put the moves GM's are forced to make (or not make) on other players and the owner, that is something I'd listen to. In that case, maybe the owner said no to trading Brogdon and getting even worse? And in that case, we're complaining about the wrong person.

3. 1 Eye Jack

1 Eye Jack Well-Known Member

Vice President for Display company
    I went into this trade deadline expecting nothing which I’m perfectly fine with. Would I have liked to get a good young player for Brogdon yes but guessing teams are holding onto those type of players.

little surprised some contenders wouldn’t have mortgaged the future for win now considering there’s no elite team.

Strenuus, Pinwheel1 and Tince like this.
  4. Ripcity4life77

Ripcity4life77 Well-Known Member

Cronin is the king of speaking out of both sides of his mouth and still sounding full of crap cause the comment about the deadline is BS and if fans cannot see that then that is on you. I will give my opinion and I might do a rant here and there but I am done treating this forum as a town hall trying to convince some of you when you do not want to hear it. Some of you are the type of people even if the sky is falling your like why is everyone running cause I think you have your head in the clouds about certain thing ala Cronin.

5. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

There wasn't one trade today including a 1st round pick/young player where I could've reasonably seen Portland including Brogdon instead. Brogdon for Dallas' 2028 1st and Grant Williams was the closest, but I can't imagine that exciting many folks around here.

6. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

True, Joe appears to not be proactive and doesn't seem to have a plan. Maybe the owner (or Bert more likely) said no but that's why we need a full shakeup from the top down. This is not a well-ran organization. Cronin has had too many excuses of "there's nothing he could do nobody wanted his really good asset" where it comes out or appears that he wanted to actually keep said asset in the first place.

The lack of a plan is very Olshey-ish. That's the most frustrating part.

Whyachi, Quatro44 and blazerkor like this.
  7. oldfisherman

oldfisherman Unicorn Wrangler

I agree, there was a mountain of Scoot hype before the draft. The result is many fans are disappointed in his slow development.

I am not disappointed in Scoots slow development. Because, I did not believe the hype that he was NBA ready. Neither his stats, nor eye test convienced me he was ready for the NBA.

I am not saying Scoot is a bust, just that he needs more time to develop his skills. BTW, I hated when the NBA lowered the draft age.

8. PCmor7

PCmor7 Generational Poster

Saying this for years
    I think another of the problems that doesn't get mentioned is a lot of teams already have mortgaged their futures. And most of them are the teams that Brogdon might have been able to put over the top.

Trading Brogdon for a pick in the 20s in the upcoming draft isn't particularly appealing considering what the Blazers already have. Conversely, a lot of those same teams probably don't want to give up two firsts for Brogdon ... presuming they even have them.

It's like tweener value and there aren't a lot of teams that fit as a trade partner with the Blazers when you view the context ... unless you're comfortable giving up Brogdon for a prospect that odds say would never be an impact player for the Blazers and the idea of give Scoot Henderson 3 more minutes per game.

9. BonesJones

How many players traded were as good as Brogdon though? Why are we using Monte Morris fetching a 2nd and trying to compare that to Brogdon?

Billups said there was lots of interest, Cronin said he didn't want to take a step back and was more into getting a guy then getting rid of one...

10. BonesJones

I agree with most of this. His play recently suggests to me he's ready for a bump in his role. He's not going to be consistency and will struggle but you can learn from failure. Just as long as he can mentally handle and build upon his performances as a starter, he should start. That wasn't the case earlier in the season, but I think it's the case now.

11. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

It's possible. I'm not in the meetings with Jody, Bert, Cronin, and Billups so I don't know what he is/isn't advocating for, what he's given the green light to do, etc.

I think the way the last GM and coaching searches were handled was piss poor, so the results are very much in line what my expectations. It's the same reasons I don't freak out over Billups not being great. Until things change at the very top, we won't be replacing coaches/GM's with top level candidates.

12. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Sometimes what a person thinks will transpire and what actually transpires turn out to be different.

Get back to me in two years.

Strenuus, Tince and PCmor7 like this.
  13. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

Right before the dude showed how directionless his plans are and said that at the same time he didn't want to rush things. Cronin has me worried.

BonesJones likes this.
  14. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

I didn't make that comparison, so I can't speak for whoever "we" is.

I know this isn't your first trade deadline, but the way you're reacting to some of these quotes are like it's your first time. Coaches/GM's over hyping their assets, especially ones they might want to move in the future is standard operating procedure around the league. Every vet team should've called about Brogdon. What they were willing to give up is all that matters.

15. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Watching Scoot it's easy to see there are so many things he needs to work on. Once he does, watch out.

16. oldfisherman

oldfisherman Unicorn Wrangler

Agree.

Drafting NBA quality point guards is a tricky business. Remember the 2009 draft? 11 point guards taken in the first round. Most did not play in the NBA very many seasons.

The Timberwolves picked 3 pgs in the first round, Rubio, Flynn, and Lawson. Stephen Curry was the 4th pg picked. He turned out ok.

17. Quatro44

Quatro44 Well-Known Member

I think this too. It’s all SSDD… same shit, different day. I think seahawk fans also feel the same. The whole top gotta go.

BonesJones likes this.
  18. SharpeScooterShooter

SharpeScooterShooter SharpeShooter

Freeloader
    Ah I gotcha. Didn’t get what you were saying, but yeah Olshey would have sent out three firsts for a guy like Brogdon. lol.
    But that goes to show that there might be a guy out there desperate enough to do so especially if they feel Brogdon can help them win and so they don’t value that 25-30 pick first much, so willing to give one more 1st up to make the trade happen.
    obviously there was not anyone like that this year or I’m positive Joe would have made the deal.

19. 1 Eye Jack

1 Eye Jack Well-Known Member

Vice President for Display company
    I don’t get all the doom and gloom. There wasn’t one trade I was jealous of this year. I would have been more upset with a brogdon for late 1st or a couple of 2nd rounders.

I hate saying this but do you bite the bullet one more year 2025 is the draft you want to be in lottery

maxiep, BIG Q, Tince and 5 others like this.
  20. SharpeScooterShooter

SharpeScooterShooter SharpeShooter

Freeloader
    Holy shit bro. I read @wizenheimer ’s follow up, then understood and said basically the same thing you did about three firsts. And then just now read your post. Haha. Great minds think alike! lol.

Tince and PCmor7 like this.