Neil comments on the deadline

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by illmatic99, Mar 25, 2021.

1. James lamphear

James lamphear Well-Known Member

It's doesn't matter who you bring in as fowards because our offense is not built around them it's built around guard play. Our starting fowards together shot 13 times our 2 starting guards shot 44 times and our center shot 11 times and the only reason that because of his offense rebounding. Until the offense becomes more balanced the other teams going to try double our 2 guards. The only other fowards gets attempts is Melo because won't give back when he gets. So trading for Gordon wouldn't really reflect anything much on the offense end. Olshey brought another guard why because translates to Stotts offense system. Why bring in another forward so stand around hoping to get ball or another player to stand there to watch Dame and CJ takes turn shooting the ball 50 shots a game.

UKRAINEFAN, TBpup and AmirIcon like this.
  2. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    To those who are complaining (for lack of a better word) that they could lose Powell for nothing (and therefore, lose trent for nothing), they had realistically two options.

1. Lose trent anyways
    2. re-sign Trent for a lot more money even tho he more than likely wanted a starting spot.

The chances of #2 doing that probably isn't too good, so if they're going to lose Trent, they might as well also lose Hood so that would open up minutes for (hopefully) Little.

BonesJones, AmirIcon and 42N8Bounce like this.
  3. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    good to know you're not dying soon.

kjironman1 likes this.
  4. JoshuaHall

JoshuaHall Well-Known Member

Norm is a more efficient, better defending, worse passing Donovan Mitchell

Norm brings us closer to a contender than Aaron Gordon could even dream of

Aaron gordon is massively overrated while norm Powell is massively underrated

I would be geeked about this if Stotts wasn’t HC

5. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

There was a third option. Trade Trent for someone on a longer contract or for a similar caliber player at a position of need who we wouldn’t mind paying the money.

With Powell we are right back in the same boat of potentially paying starter money to a guy on the bench.

blazerkor and Tince like this.
  6. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

Gordon would have been an upgrade, and yeah, I know....you don't agree. I think RoCo/Gordon is an upgrade over RoCo/Jones on multiple fronts. I know I won't persuade of you of that, and you won't persuade me otherwise. That's just where it's at

and I never said Portland missed out on something significant yesterday. All I did say was my preference was that Portland upgraded a starter rather than a backup

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
  7. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

This is how I feel as well.

8. wizenheimer

what makes you think you aren't already?

9. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

I dont think the 0.2 mil helps. First as you say we lose the ability to utilize it next year. A trade exception cannot be used to sign a player. Also a player would only be paid the prorated portion, so now your 0.2 million only gives them maybe 70k extra cash. Just not enough to make any difference. Players care about the role so they can get paid millions next summer.

The room could help if we want to sign a second player to 10 day contracts, or if we wait enough games... sign two players for the playoffs.

Darkwebs and 42N8Bounce like this.
  10. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Time to change your avatar:

[​IMG]

kjironman1 likes this.
  11. wizenheimer

yeah, but does a mediocre death really rise to the level of dying?

kjironman1 likes this.
  12. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Powell is a leader from what I understand, so I expect him to impose his style of play and help the team in different ways. He isn't necessarily just a P&R, three point shooter, he a slasher and a guy that like to get out and run. That alone will helpm this team if other players want to get on board.

42N8Bounce, Propagandist and e_blazer like this.
  13. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

but Kevin O'Connor said Gordon was the missing piece?!?

I would’ve welcomed Gordon and a change of scenery could always help a guy, but I’m also cautious when I see “experts” blame a players’ failure/underachieving entirely on coaching/situation, especially when its multiple coaches/situations. Gordon wouldn’t have been the savior. He would’ve been a project. An intriguing project, sure, but still a project. In his seventh year in the league, the odds are more likely that he is who he is. I’m actually more annoyed Denver got McGee.

14. James lamphear

James lamphear Well-Known Member

I hope they use him the right way with him board there know reason to see CJ and Dame to take 50 shot a game. If one is struggling now they guy they can go to and take that slack away from them. But we will see because sometimes I am real big fan of either one. Don't get wrong I think there both outstanding offense players but sometimes it's they look to much for there shot any only pass when they get in trouble.

15. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    I liked the Powell trade, and the offseason moves. His moves have gotten us better defensive players, so I'm definitely supporting Neil.

However, I am not happy about how those defensive players have been used to actually make our defense better. So, I'm not on the Stotts bandwagon.

AmirIcon likes this.
  16. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

One VERY interesting observation is how many TOR fans have posted that Powell's performance as a starter in night and day better than when he's used off the bench - wonder if he might start here at SF? or we get the "worse Powell" off the bench

Darkwebs likes this.
  17. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Did they say if he got the same minutes regardless if he started or came off the bench? I think most players struggle with their shot until they warm up. But if he playing 30 minutes regardless (which he will) he will be ok if he comes in midway through the 1st for CJ. My guess is he out there to end games.

18. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

Here is his shooting splits in 19/20:
    Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 11.15.46 AM.png
    20/21:
    Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 11.15.18 AM.png

Now obviously there could be a lot of reasons for this. But it looks like his shooting is significantly better when starting than coming off the bench. His other stats as well.

Tince, Natebishop3 and Darkwebs like this.
  19. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Okay Now this i can really get behind.
    The players when healthy are there. Nurk, Roco, Jones, now Powell, (even Collins if he comes back) can lead to better defense.
    This is where I'm all for holding Stotts as a coach accountable for getting this group to play better defense.
    Olshey can only get him the players. Stotts needs to Demand better performance on the defensive side of the ball and play players when the matchups are there.
    In the end however the players need to perform. If they don't they can kiss their "Players Coach" goodbye.

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  20. OneSport3

OneSport3 The Knowledge Hoarder

Couldn’t agree more. This should be it for Stotts. If he doesn’t perform with all the defensive upgrades, he should be let go in the summer.

kjironman1 and Wizard Mentor like this.