Notice Neil Olshey explains Plumlee trade, talks approach to upcoming trade deadline

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SlyPokerDog, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

Well in that case it'd be better to let his contract run. I don't see any logic in offering picks to get rid of someone in this situation, it's not like we'd use free cap space to sign big free agents in the Summer or add talent immediately. It'd literally be better to let his run down his $10M contract until the end and just work with the remaining cap space instead. By keeping your three picks you have 3 players who will not make more than $10M combined together and there's a good chance that at least one of them will be good.

Having three picks and paying Leonard the remainder of the contract is much better than having no picks and $10M of free cap space. It's not even close.

blue9, BBert, RipCityDSCPL and 2 others like this.
  2. WillG

WillG Well-Known Member

If we manage to trade them and those contracts of theirs - I may just literally shed tears of Joy!

3. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

I think we will. Crabbe should be tradeable to a team that has lots of cap space and needs a shooter. Philadelphia fit the bill perfectly, so do Orlando to be honest but they'd have to offload salary, which won't be the issue as they have two high earners who are expiring (Jeff Green and Ibaka). That's why I was advocating the Okafor trade, the true benefit of that is that you are getting a cheaper player to work with and he's still going to be tradeable a year down the line if it doesn't work out. $19M we'll be paying to Crabbe next season is just not right to stick with.

4. WillG

WillG Well-Known Member

If you were a GM, would you trade for Crabbe knowing that his salary will be > 20mil ?
    I wouldn't even consider it. You'd have to trade value to me to take it on. (unfortunately that's the case with Crabbe and Leonard IMO - negative Net value).

Okafor would have been a nice little roll of the dice IMO.
    My gut feeling is he will be much better in new surroundings too. I think Neil missed the boat big time on Okafor. Could've tried his luck with an underused lottery pick and shed salary at the same time.

5. Dougnsalem

Dougnsalem not barf

Yeah, I was trying to be funny with the 3 pick thing. You do bring up an interesting point though. He's got well over 30 Mil left over the life of his contract. I wonder where the line is, if there is one, that would make most any team take him...

6. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

I'd not add anything to get rid of him. At some point someone might bite. I'd however trade him for anything at this point, a top 55 protected 2nd round pick is enough.

blue9 and Dougnsalem like this.
  7. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

He's got three years after this season so that's a long deal but a team like Philadelphia will probably not be able to get a better free agent during these 3 years anyway, and most of their key players are young assets who will stay on rookie contracts for a while. Embiid will be extended for a max deal next season and Noel might get a max this season but they won't keep both of them if they are both making $25M. Simmons will only be up for extension the same time Crabbe's deal expires, the rest of their contracts are low or expiring. Their guaranteed salaries for next season are $34M. They might not take a team option on Henderson if they get Crabbe, could even trade Bayless who is making $9M. They will likely have around $60M of cap space to work with and not many free agents who will be willing to sign. Even if they extend Noel for $20M, it still leaves $40M to play with.

Simmons and Embiid make $6M a year. Stauskas and Saric are sub-$3M. They are a perfect destination to take gamble on Crabbe if we can sell this idea to them.

8. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

For obvious reasons

9. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

He'll probably keep the hype, and trade Harkless

10. JFizzleRaider

JFizzleRaider Sad Panda Global Moderator

Crabbe to philly for bayless and picks (multiple 2nds or a future 1st). Tank commence!

11. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

I'm actually happy about this. Acknowledging your mistake is the first step to finding a solution.

We suck this year. Call it what it is, and figure out how to come back next year with a better plan. We could legitimately have 3 picks in the top 25 of this upcoming draft. All three of the picks have more value in a trade than anything else we have (except for Dame/CJ). Cutting salary and improving flexibility for the summer is the next step.

Bring on the picks! The more the merrier.