Nelson for Coach of the Year?

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Rudeezy, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

Is it possible for Don Nelson to get coach of the year if the Warriors make the playoffs? Why not? They haven't hadn't made the playoffs in 13 years, since Nelson was the coach. His long time assistant coach said this is Nellie's best coaching job of his career.

Why not?

2. AnimeFANatic

AnimeFANatic JBB JustBBall Member

If they make the playoffs he'll definitely be a top candidate, not sure if he'd win it though.

3. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

How would he win when the team's win/loss record is only like 2 games better than last year?

4. AnimeFANatic

<div class="quote_poster">Warriorfansnc93 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">How would he win when the team's win/loss record is only like 2 games better than last year?</div>

Wasn't Musselman a candidate when he had 38 wins with us?

5. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">AnimeFANatic Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Wasn't Musselman a candidate when he had 38 wins with us?</div>

Yeah, but how bad were we the year before? I think we had like 25 wins or something. 38 wins was huge back then, plus we had no talent...

6. AnimeFANatic

<div class="quote_poster">Warriorfansnc93 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Yeah, but how bad were we the year before? I think we had like 25 wins or something. 38 wins was huge back then, plus we had no talent...</div>

True, but Rudeezy said if we make the "playoffs" which is even better than going from 25 win to 38 wins. Not to mention the Warriors haven't been in it for like 12-13 years.

7. warriorsman

warriorsman BBW Member

It's going to really hard to get it because of the Warriors being under 500. If the Warriors make it to the playoffs he will be up there but still what about the Raptors. I really think coach of the year will go to Raptors.

8. AnimeFANatic

<div class="quote_poster">Silver Man Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">It's going to really hard to get it because of the Warriors being under 500. If the Warriors make it to the playoffs he will be up there but still what about the Raptors. I really think coach of the year will go to Raptors.</div>

Their conference is pitiful...

But good point.

9. Gohn

Gohn JBB JustBBall Member

Who are the possible candidates this year?

Avery Johnson - won it last year, will they give it to him again? Chance is lowered a bit because they won't win 70

Sam Mitchell- Raptors much improved over last year. A lot of that because of good GMing by Colangelo though

Don Nelson- we know what he's done

D'Antoni- Doing a great job, but won't get considered because the team's been consistently good for a while

Popovich- same as above

Jerry Sloan- Would be more of a threat if his team hasn't fallen apart in the last few weeks

Byron Scott- Done a great job through the injuries. Like Nelson, won't have a chance unless they make the playoffs.

George Karl- Coaching two volatile superstars and keeping the team together after the fight is a great coaching job, especially now that the team is clicking.

Flip Saunders- Doing a great job with the Pistons. Probably won't get a the nod. Like the Suns and Spurs. The team has been consistently good over the years.

Scott Skiles- The bulls keep getting better. He deserves some recognition. He's a very underrated coach.

Pat Riley- Done a good job coaching through all the injuries. But I can't help but think that all their winning is attributed to Shaq being healthy.

Of the coaches I listed, the only ones that have a serious chance are:

Avery Johnson
    Don Nelson
    Sam Mitchell

10. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

<div class="quote_poster">AnimeFANatic Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">True, but Rudeezy said if we make the "playoffs" which is even better than going from 25 win to 38 wins. Not to mention the Warriors haven't been in it for like 12-13 years.</div>Exactly. Wins will not be a factor...the Warriors simply making the playoffs would play the biggest role.

11. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    <div class="quote_poster">Gohn Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Of the coaches I listed, the only ones that have a serious chance are:

Avery Johnson
    Don Nelson
    Sam Mitchell</div>

I think it will be close between Don Nelson and Sam Mitchell. The Mavs are favored to win it all this year, so doubt Avery will get it because the Mavs have not improved a LOT more than last season. I think Nelson has got a good chance to win if the Warriors make the playoffs.

I doubt the voters listen to the Don Nelson Show on KNBR. If they do, then it will likely go to Sam Mitchell [​IMG].

12. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

I really don't see Nelson winning it. Granted that we suffered key injuries, but this club won 34 games last season, and even if we win all games, it still is less than 10 games improvement. My vote goes to either A. Johnson or Sloan for the life achievement. Can you believe Sloan never won COY?

13. jason bourne

Law enforcement
    <div class="quote_poster">Gohn Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Of the coaches I listed, the only ones that have a serious chance are:

Avery Johnson
    Don Nelson
    Sam Mitchell</div>

I think it will be close between Don Nelson and Sam Mitchell. The Mavs are favored to win it all this year, so doubt Avery will get it because the Mavs have not improved a LOT more than last season. I think Nelson has got a good chance to win if the Warriors make the playoffs.

I doubt the voters listen to the Don Nelson Show on KNBR. If they do, then it will likely go to Sam Mitchell [​IMG].

14. jason bourne

Law enforcement
    I doubt Sloan wins it unless the Jazz start playing better. They've been playing horribly of late.

15. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

Personally, I am a HUGE fan of what Nellie has done this year. He's worked miracles with this roster. I've had a few quibbles (play Powell more!) but overall he's demonstrated -- throughout the season -- why he's one of the best coaches in history.

With that said, I just don't see how ANY coach can win it when their team only improves a few wins over the prior year, and ends up with %.500 or below team.

If this team makes the playoffs, that wil be AWESOME. And nellie will deserve a TON of credit. But there are several teams in this league that will squeak into the playoffs with sh!tty records and I don't think their coach deserves any credit.

Look at the Nuggets. Karl has had a SUPER-POWERED roster and yet they have been shaky. Better yet, look at New Jersey. They were 49-33 last year. This year, they are a playoff team at 37-40. A sub .%500 team, with a serious fall from grace, still squeaking into the playoffs.

With this team, making the playoffs will be a serious feat, just because we've been out for so long. But still look at the record. We are sub %.500. That's nothing special, unless you were lottery team with 15 wins the year prior. Unfortunately, for Nellie, this team was SLATED to be a playoff team, so frankly they were expected to be in. If they DON'T make it, it will be a dissapointment. If they do make it with %.500 or below, sure all the fans will go banannas but the COY voters will see a team that basically lived up to expectations, nothing above and beyond that would deserve such an accolade.

I think Nellie deserves that much credit, but I don't think he'll get the award.

16. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

I think Sloan should get it. AK47 is having a horrible year, yet the team somehow wins, and with whom do they win? Carlos Boozer(a second round pick), Okur (good but not that good), and I forget their solid PG. Last night that team got to the FT line 50 times. That says a lot about how they play the game, and I think that is reflective of the coach, Jerry Sloan. The Jazz probably have similar talent as the Sonics, yet they have won and played very well this year. By the way the Warriors won only thirty-four games last season, and have a shot at forty-three wins this year. I think that is a significant improvement, that is like the question asked if the Warriors make the playoffs which it may need to take 43 wins to make the playoffs for the Warriors. Don Nelson's job may be the best potential story, which I guess may help him get some votes. But I think Sloan probably deserves it the most.

17. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

I think Nelly should get it if the Warriors make the playoffs, because I don't think many people thought this team was any good to even get this close. It's probably because analysts thought the Warriors lacked teamwork and consistency and a lot of other things. They still do sometimes, but they've improved a bit when it counted (right now). Now Steve Kerr and Charles Barkley are even saying some nice things compared to earlier this season. Nelson is definitely a big part of that when he gets these guys in a favorable matchup and he gets these guys to move the ball better.

18. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

I'm Warriors all the way but I cannot say I'd vote for Nellie. They are below .500 and have made some progress but not huge steps. Even if the Jazz lose every game, they end up with a better record and they were horrible last year.

Its going to be Avery because the Mavs have played unbelievable after their horrid start, especially playing in the Western Conference.

19. jzblaze

jzblaze JBB JustBBall Member

I highly doubt they can make the playoffs if they fall below .500.

40-42 record just won't do it so I think you can throw that consideration of below .500 and playoffs at the same time out the window.

If they get to 41 wins or above and get in the playoffs I think he would have as much chance as anyone of winning it. And the playoff drought will just add to his resume.

20. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">jzblaze Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I highly doubt they can make the playoffs if they fall below .500.

40-42 record just won't do it so I think you can throw that consideration of below .500 and playoffs at the same time out the window.

If they get to 41 wins or above and get in the playoffs I think he would have as much chance as anyone of winning it. And the playoff drought will just add to his resume.</div>

Good point -- they could actually finish with a winning record at 42-40 -- I guess I really didn't consider that. That would be a good leap from last year. If the Warriors finish with a WINNING record at 42-40, and make the POs, yeah then I could definately see him being in the discussions as a top candidate. That would be sweet