Nelson Upset with Warriors

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Shapecity, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

I don't think Mullin would be a good coach. He never head coached or assistant coached in his life in anything that mattered. Not even CBA or WNBA. He barely made it out alive after becoming a GM with little GM experience. But last year's playoff goal needs to be built upon rather than torn down. Let's hope it gets continued this year or else it'll be a one-hit wonder a la the Clippers.

I wouldn't want Mully on the floor or else he would have played Dunleavy and kissed his ass so much that this franchise would never be saved. It took a hardass Coach Nelson to say it like it was and force the GM to finally do something about it rather than re-sign the guy and justify 2004 stats. All the other guys were just not admitting that we didn't have a good team because of several bad signings that don't fit the best player(s) we had on this team at the time. We don't want to put slugs on the team when it wants to run and we don't put more than one slow and extremely bad defender in the context of a zone defense where we are terrible at rebounding anyway. Who cares if Murphy gets his numbers because he's a bad piece to throw in when we got more athletic smaller perimeter defending players who fit the run n' gun game / zone D type of game. Then with Dunleavy the guy just couldn't get it done because of his slowness and his weakness in strength. It affected everything about his game in the pros that he didn't face as an NCAA champion.

I just hope if Nelson doesn't sign, we find another guy who can carry things along in his place until we can build around a big man franchise player. We can't play this small game forever. It just doesn't win championships. We need to play a versatile and dominant game where we can control the tempo and force the other team to run out of options. That takes defense and the ability to post score and make the shots that matter such as free throws late in the game and open jump shots. And we need depth too. We didn't have that last year.

2. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    <div class="quote_poster">custodianrules2 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">We can't play this small game forever</div>

I agree it's a double edged sword. I don't like playing small ball all the time like Nelson does as it doesn't win championships in the NBA. I also think Nellie isn't the coach to help win championships; He's the guy who will help get the pieces to get us there.

GSW small ball may cause matchup problems, but sometimes you just have to physically match up with a team in the NBA. That usually happens in the playoffs. Phoenix is a team that plays small ball, but they aren't a small team. We should be like them if we're going to win a championship. Oh well, guys like AB, Monta, Wright, Lasme and Belinelli will be our chance to become the new Phoenix Suns.

3. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">jason voorhees Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I agree it's a double edged sword. I don't like playing small ball all the time like Nelson does as it doesn't win championships in the NBA. I also think Nellie isn't the coach to help win championships; He's the guy who will help get the pieces to get us there.

GSW small ball may cause matchup problems, but sometimes you just have to physically match up with a team in the NBA. That usually happens in the playoffs. Phoenix is a team that plays small ball, but they aren't a small team. We should be like them if we're going to win a championship. Oh well, guys like AB, Monta, Wright, Lasme and Belinelli will be our chance to become the new Phoenix Suns.</div>

Yeah I agree. We could just end up repeating history from the last decade, not having achieved anything spectacular except regular season records and the eventual dark ages of Dave Twardzik/PJ Carlisimo/Gary St. Jean. The playoffs last year were a start and I hope we can build upon it. It's very, very hard to be a Spurs or a Lakers team. I would just love to get a sniff of a finals game like Cleveland, Philadelphia, New Jersey, or Dallas. Or if we can't even achieve that at least do what the Sacramento Kings had done back when they had Vlade and Webber.

4. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

The dilemma has been: put all your chips in and get your one shot at a championship with Nellie's system (and inevitably small window), or be patient and let the young talent that the Warriors have grow under another (inevitably more traditional) coach. If Nellie decides to skip out, that at least makes the decision easy. While I love the fun of Nellieball, it's not going to last long in any case. Even though I was depressed at not getting KG, I really am glad we didn't deal away all the young talent we have to get him. I'm so excited thinking about what a core of AB, Monta, Belinelli, and Wright will be 2-4 years from now. Of course if we end up on the patient, "building" path, it does bring up the question of what to do with Baron, and who eventually replaces him.

5. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">HiRez Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">The dilemma has been: put all your chips in and get your one shot at a championship with Nellie's system (and inevitably small window), or be patient and let the young talent that the Warriors have grow under another (inevitably more traditional) coach. If Nellie decides to skip out, that at least makes the decision easy. While I love the fun of Nellieball, it's not going to last long in any case. Even though I was depressed at not getting KG, I really am glad we didn't deal away all the young talent we have to get him. I'm so excited thinking about what a core of AB, Monta, Belinelli, and Wright will be 2-4 years from now. Of course if we end up on the patient, "building" path, it does bring up the question of what to do with Baron, and who eventually replaces him.</div>

Yeah, I agree with what you're saying, HiRez. It's tough because a lot of basketball is similar to Chess. Not only does the front office have to play several moves ahead in terms of contracts/budget/roster turnover for the years to come, but they also have to have the right pieces to move ahead and start winning. It's going to be tough to last long without a queen or knight when we got all the other pieces that other teams might have. So we essentially can only compete up to a certain point because we lack the franchise building blocks like a Tim Duncan or a Shaquille O'neil. We got Baron Davis, that's about it, and that's a pretty good start since a good point guard or center is hard to find these days. Right now we could be at a potential stalemate or loss if we don't get more affordable, all-star worthy talent around Baron Davis. So the move that Mullin made could be better at this stage. We need another anchor in the paint better than Biedrins, so we can get out of Nelly ball and into conventional playoff type of ball. So Mully ended up getting a supposedly ready to play now type of prototype shooting guard who can actually shoot, dribble, and pass it some, and he got a potential 20/10 Chris Bosh/Shareef Abdur Rahim player. I think it's a nice move in theory after we got over the shock of dealing one of our best and beloved players away.

The best thing about winning last year is that the Warriors have changed their image from a losing culture into that of a winning culture where anything is possible. Now the Warriors have to keep moving rather than settle for only achieving what they did last year. Mullin knew it and I think he made a smart decision. We might not know it yet, but Mullin could have converted Jrich into two potential all-star type players who play a traditional game for their positions. We may have a big man that plays like a real big man, instead of those outside shooting types that have no inside game. We also may have a real shooting guard for once. Even if Belinelli doesn't move his feet faster than Jrich going side to side, he should have no trouble entertaining the fans as well as doing what shooting guard should do (shoot, dribble, drive, act as secondary point guard). Baron, Davis, SJax, and Bel could be a potent 3-guard lineup in addition to our lightweight but gifted bigs: Andris Biedrins/Brandan Wright.

I just hope the bigs catch up to the guard's potential because Wright and Biedrins are so young, they might not have the bodies to play the way we want them. At least not in the timeframe we want against heavier players. We need everyone to get really good at the same time. Physical maturity could be part of it. I think that is one reason why Biedrins does not post up as much in the nba despite every opportunity to do it. 220 lbs vs. 245 or higher leaves little ability to try and do it unless the game is played with more quickness than creating separation using strength, back, shoulder, hip, and footwork. I just hope we got big guys that can play at full potential when the guards and small forward are at their full potential. That timing is so important. Otherwise, Baron's time will be up soon if he feel we can't win anything or he's getting too old and injured to stay with it. And it might happen by the time Biedrins or Brandan Wright's game is finally coming to fruition. I hope that's not the case and the Warriors become very good for a long time with everyone playing at their peak.

I'm not sure if Nelson is that patient to worry about big players when he's got a lot of talented guards.