Nets wanna deal with 'Sota

Discussion in 'Minnesota Timberwolves' started by NattaNerNuttaMan, Jan 22, 2009.

1. NattaNerNuttaMan

NattaNerNuttaMan NattaNerNutta like Spike

Military
    Nets Prefer Mike Miller Over Hughes

Instead of Larry Hughes, the New Jersey Nets have a preference to trade for Mike Miller of the Wolves, according to an NBA general manager familiar with the discussions.

Miller makes $9 million this season and $9.7 million the next. The best offer the Nets can make is a deal involving a player with a one-year contract, such as Stromile Swift, just to help the Wolves get Miller, their second-highest-paid player, off the cap next season.

Link: http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/56739/20090122/nets_prefer_mike_miller_over_hughes/

This had to be fabricated by a Nets fan/writer to think that this would benifit the Wolves...lol

All I can say is this would piss me off as a Timberwolves fan. 'Sota doesn't need more cap space...And I'm sure Miller (still being a valuable asset to a team) can get more than an expiring contract...if that was the case, they should just keep Miller.

Besides i don't think cap space helps a team like Minny much, since I don't see many top tier free-agents racing to play for the Timberwolves. Miller is more valuable in a trade package for someone that can help them now, ie; Gerald Wallace, Caron Butler, Raymond Felton or Hinrich...they need to build through trades and drafts.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  2. kobimel

kobimel Hapoel

Anyone on the Nets that you like?

3. NattaNerNuttaMan

Military
    Not really, not when I think they can get a good deal somewhere else. Minnesota needs a Center, a Versitile SF who can defend the wing and slash, and a Starting caliber PG.

All of that, New Jersey is building around with Lopez and Harris...so they really don't have much to offer

4. kobimel

kobimel Hapoel

Well, you're not really going to get fair value for Miller. I'd say you should aim for cap space and picks, and then sign the players you need in free agency and the draft. You have a solid young core and should attract some free agents. Minny isn't going anywhere this season anyway, unfortunately, so nothing is urgent, right?

The Nets can offer expiring contracts (Simmons in 2010 and Swift this season) and picks. The question is how much they're willing to give up.

5. NattaNerNuttaMan

Military
    How is Miller not going to get a fair value? He is still a player that can contribute and has a contract that ends in time for 2010. If anything Minnesota would benifit better by keeping him and using the capspace in 2010 when many teams will fall over themselves to get the big names and better players will trickle down than what would willingly come to Minnesota this off season. They can get a better deal than that...Simmons wouldn't help them at all and his contract ends the same time Miller's contract ends....Swift plays the same position as Al, Love and Craig Smith....so, ummm.....no.

6. kobimel

kobimel Hapoel

True, I forgot Miller has an expiring contract himself. No fair deal for Minny that I can see, then.

I prefer Butler anyway. :D

7. NattaNerNuttaMan

Military
    lol...yeah...I was floating around a deal involving Miller for Butler, though.

8. kobimel

kobimel Hapoel

Definitely a possibility if Washington are considering dealing with the Nets. That would be a great trade for Minnesota if they don't give up too much...would you consider Miller and a 1st round pick? Or is that too much in your opinion?

9. NattaNerNuttaMan

Military
    For Butler? I guess it would depend on which pick...since 'Sota has a possiblity of having four 1st Round picks. Maybe if it's eitehr Utah or Boston's pick it works out right I guess...but would Washington be able to get more for Butler...he is a very good player

10. kobimel

kobimel Hapoel

I don't think they'll get much for him. Everyone can see that they're struggling, Butler is an all-star talent and there are rumors that they're shopping him around...those three mixed together usually result in a lopsided deal for youth and picks (see the Vince Carter trade, KG trade, Kidd trade, etc). I do think the Wolves would have to add another young player, at least (Carney? McCants?).

11. NattaNerNuttaMan

Military
    Hmmm....sounds interesting....how about Miller, McCants and Boston's 1st Rounder for Butler and Washington's 2nd Rounder?

12. kobimel

kobimel Hapoel

That would work cap wise, but the difference between Washington's 2nd rounder (probably going to be around 35th overall) and Boston's 1st rounder (going to be between 27-30 overall) isn't that big. Would you still do it without getting the 2nd rounder back?

Still, they won't get much more than than in any other trade IMO.

13. NattaNerNuttaMan

Military
    If Sota was to give up Miller and MCCants and Washington wasn't willing to give up the 2nd Rounder for the 1st...then maybe instead of the Boston pick....they give up one of the 2nd Rounders instead....

Miller, McCants & 2nd Round pick....for Butler

14. kobimel

kobimel Hapoel

Interesting deal. Better than anything the Nets can offer, anyway, without giving up a lottery pick.

15. NattaNerNuttaMan

Military
    yeah, I think so as well. And if they had to, it wouldn't hurt Minny that bad to upgrade to the Boston pick if it's needed to push Washington over the edge.

I think the trade benifits both teams

16. tim

tim Respect JPJ

NNNM, I'm disappointed you didn't say anything about this guy.

We'll take Devin Harris :D

17. NattaNerNuttaMan

Military
    I was being realistic...lol. There is no way Miller would get us Harris. He's like our Big Al to thier fanchise...a building block for the Nets. I'm not trying to just pull pipedream trades outta my ass like I've seen done many a time in forums...lol.

But it fun to dream...:devilwink:

18. Shogun

Shogun Member

Livin'
    IMO, the Nets dont have the necessary pieces to swing a deal for Miller without bringing in a 3rd team. Swift just isnt a big enough expiring, Sean Williams value is equal to that of dog feces, Harris/Lopez are likely off limits, CDR and Boone could be good roleplayers here but not enough to make me deal Miller.

BTW, I think we will see snowballs in hell before we see Butler get dealt for Miller, McCants and a 2nd. Washington is really bad, but Butler is just such a great player on a good contract and he is a really good glue guy. I would throw anything not named Jefferson, Love and Foye to get Butler and it wouldnt be enough.

19. NattaNerNuttaMan

Military
    Ah my friend you underestimate the value of expiring contracts and draft picks to a rebuilding team mired in high payroll issues. It might be a lil easier to get Butler than you think...Washington is at a disadvantage here, since Butler is just about thier only bargaining chip to rebuild with...No one would want to touch Jamison and Arenas due to thier crazy contracts (Jamison 11-15mil a season thru 2012 and Arenas at 14-22mil a year until 2014!!!). Even Butler's contract (9-10mil a year) doesn't end until after the 2010 free-agent class...so they need to shed cash somewhere and he's about thier only big money moveable player. With Ethan Thomas, Mike James & Haywoods contracts off the books for 2010's offseason (almost 20mil combined) with the additional cap flexibility they can throw out a huge max type offer in 2010....and go from there.

Miller is a player who can help them in the mean time and allows them financial flexability. Miller and a pick...and maybe McCants may be passed by Washington...Minnesota could offer up Brewer instead...or involve Charlotte, since they want McCants and have them shift a piece or additional pick Washington's way

But, I'm with you all the way on the Nets not being able to get Miller. The only players that would interest Minnesota are pretty much a no-go (Lopez/Harris) and without something like that to draw interest, 'Sota can get better elsewhere

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  20. Shogun

Shogun Member

Livin'
    I think the McCants/Bobcats thing is over played. Just cuz he went to NC and Jordan is also an alum doesnt mean they are collecting all the NC players. Larry Brown took over, he is getting his kind of players. Respectable, good attitude players that play hard nosed D. None of that describes McCants, we know he was shopping Felton and May (both NC alum) so i dont think Brown would have any part of McCants

Maybe you are right about Butler. If Washington does decide to rebuild, Butler is probably the easiest player to move. However i still dont think Miller/McCants/2nd is enough to do it. Miller + Minny #1 is a start but even that would take some negotiating. McCants' ONLY value is as a $4M expiring and we still are unable to get anything valuable for him. We tried shopping him, it failed. Look at Antoine Walker, he was a $9M expiring and had to be bought out. Marbury still is with NY. Expiring contracts are indeed valuable, but teams see that bad attitude players are not worth paying, even if its only a half year rental.

I would offer Sebastian Telfair and a 2nd, maybe even the Bos 1st for Crittenton though. He is the perfect type of backcourt mate for Randy Foye in my eyes.