Nets @ Warriors - January 24

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by trg_tony, Jan 23, 2007.

1. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

Great game. Fun.

Just a few to dos:

Baron, Monta and Pietrus need to just stop shooting 3s. Monta is 8-10 otherwise. Baron 0-6. That's just ugly.

Harrington, way to score. 4 rebounds? Allergic to rebounding or just good at boxing out so others can clean up? Dunleavy got more rebounds. Nice to see some scoring though.

Andris, stop tapping out rebounds and start grabbing them. Please.

Love Sarunus. A solid PG mentality.

2. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

yeah -- Baron is so awesome, the only weakness (other than occaisional FT%) is that he kills his team by taking a jumper without moving the ball first. As a PG, when you just pound it for 10 seconds and then hoist, that's crap. He's such a gifted player it seems like the only thing that can stop him is himself -- and by shooting a lazy jumper, he bails out the defender. Kidd was praying Baron would shoot so that he wouldn't have to chase him through the lane and wear himself out. Kidd's like "thank you very much Baron."

An occaisional wide-open shot is one thing. But one-on-one with no ball movement only works if you get to the paint / get to the line. One-on-one for outside shots is crap.

3. hipokrat_x(LV)

hipokrat_x(LV) JBB JustBBall Member

Nice win.
    Can't whait for J-Rich to come back.
    Barnes did good job coming of the bench with high energy and rebounding (NJ just got 1 rebound more then warriors).
    Davis almost killed warriors with those jumpshots, but Ellis was fantastic, nice team effort.

4. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

<div class="quote_poster">DTKennedy Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Agreed...on 'paper' this is a game that should have been well in hand. The key thing I didn't see happen was alot of fastbreaks off forced turnovers..at least not as many as we see when they're really doing well. Still, well done to get back into the game and close it out [​IMG]</div>

True. We have a lot athletic scorers, we forget there's others things to do in the game to maintain lead or hold the margin like help defense (this is probably chemistry related and also individual defender ability so that people don't feel compelled to overhelp).

Then there's also rebounding. We try to take off sometimes without staying to help on the glass.

Then we're just plain sloppy with the ball and shot selection. I liked how Ellis made up for some really dumb plays and offensive fouls by attacking. I think he's smart enough and a good enough natural instinct to know he needs to correct bad habits. At least I think he knew he screwed up. Pietrus sometimes I wonder if he even knows what he is doing is wrong. Same thing with other guys on the floor at times. But this is a quick paced game, and mistakes happen all the time at this pace. What Nelson is needs is natural instinct players who know the game. Harrington knows the game pretty well for a heavy sized small forward, but we don't really need more wing players, we need power forwards and centers. Luckily Barnes was able to help out on the glass. How valuable was he tonight?

If we're underweight to rebound and get that position or because of how we play shifting zones, we have to hustle that rebound over much bigger, stronger players. That's tough to do but guys like Barnes and Pietrus have been really helpful in making up for bad rebounding numbers for Harrington and formerly Dunleavy.

I can't wait for Jrich to come back too. He's another guy that's going to rebound and take the scoring load off Harrington. Harrington was maybe the team's only high volume high % scorer next to maybe Ellis. If Harrington ever shoots low %'s we need to go to Jrich or somebody else.

I'm kind of disappointed in Sjax, but he is what he is and it's better to have him than nothing I guess. Same with Harrington.

5. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Kensaku Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Well, Richardson is Kobe's size [​IMG]

I am anxious to see J-Rich come back. It's cool they showed his pre-game workouts. It looks like he's really working on that left hand (by default). I like players who turn a negative into a positive.

With the way Harrington can score, imagine the team with J-Rich back. We should go back to leading the league in scoring again.</div>

I'll be glad to see somebody finish inside better than Stephen Jackson. Jackson was getting to the rim but how could he miss the layups?

Maybe the injury will force Richardson to use his left more when he goes inside. I know he's used it before, but the guy is really good going right. His left must be pretty good though. I saw him shoot a free throw with his left and it looked pretty fluid, actually. Too bad he can't even do it with his right hand in a real game. [​IMG]

6. AnimeFANatic

AnimeFANatic JBB JustBBall Member

How awesome would it be if a player was ambidextrous? Imagine if Kobe was ambidextrous lol.

7. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">AnimeFANatic Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">How awesome would it be if a player was ambidextrous? Imagine if Kobe was ambidextrous lol.</div>

I thought he was, he definitely goes left or right equally. I'd be surprised if he couldn't score inside if you take away his shooting hand.

Wasn't this evident during that one season where he injured his shoulder on his shooting hand side and basically played with his left arm before they pulled him? Or was that Jermaine O'neil? I think maybe that was JO who got injured and had to make a free throw or two and shot both free throws left handed before leaving the game.

8. hipokrat_x(LV)

hipokrat_x(LV) JBB JustBBall Member

I think you need J-Rich back for another reason, so Jackson would start to fight for his minutes. Look at Barnes, he sat out game vs LA, and came back husteling and did not make any dumb plays ( that I saw ).
    Beidrins did good job to stay out of foul trouble, and made one of the key plays at the end of 4th quarter, making a tip in and blocking shoot at other end.

9. AnimeFANatic

<div class="quote_poster">custodianrules2 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I thought he was, he definitely goes left or right equally. I'd be surprised if he couldn't score inside if you take away his shooting hand.

Wasn't this evident during that one season where he injured his shoulder on his shooting hand side and basically played with his left arm before they pulled him? Or was that Jermaine O'neil? I think maybe that was JO who got injured and had to make a free throw or two and shot both free throws left handed before leaving the game.</div>

JO did shoot 2 FT's with his left arm only. But I don't mean just good with left or right but like equally well. ie. someone being able to shoot 3pters equally well on both hands.

10. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">AnimeFANatic Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">JO did shoot 2 FT's with his left arm only. But I don't mean just good with left or right but like equally well. ie. someone being able to shoot 3pters equally well on both hands.</div>

Ah, that's as tough as switch hitting rbi's in baseball or for tennis serves. I'm sure a few can shoot equally well from distance, but it really should be used more for ballhandling, passing, and inside scoring and for tennis should be used for returns.

In a sense basketball players should be as ambidextrious as tennis players or else they'll always go to the strongest side by instinct and won't play naturally. How else can post players play if they don't have a shoulder or hip opposite their scoring hand to separate opponents from a clear shot? or how can a tennis player return a shot if they have to reach across their body all the time for a backhand?

I'm gonna be glad if Jrich/Ellis develops a left. [​IMG] It'll be awesome. Same with Beans only going with his right hand.

11. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">hipokrat_x(LV) Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I think you need J-Rich back for another reason, so Jackson would start to fight for his minutes. Look at Barnes, he sat out game vs LA, and came back husteling and did not make any dumb plays ( that I saw ).
    Beidrins did good job to stay out of foul trouble, and made one of the key plays at the end of 4th quarter, making a tip in and blocking shoot at other end.</div>

Biedrins certainly can't afford to foul out. He's our only inside presence on the glass, for weakside shotblocking, and with good hands to make the high % plays. The rest of the frontcourt we had to use swingmen or small wings to try and rebound for us. I'm glad Biedrins wasn't getting carried away because he is really the last line of defense. If he has to go out and defend somewhere, there's nobody who can stop people at the rim unless the guards manage to intercept the pass or strip the ball low.

12. AnimeFANatic

<div class="quote_poster">custodianrules2 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Ah, that's as tough as switch hitting rbi's in baseball or for tennis serves. I'm sure a few can shoot equally well from distance, but it really should be used more for ballhandling, passing, and inside scoring and for tennis should be used for returns.

In a sense basketball players should be as ambidextrious as tennis players or else they'll always go to the strongest side by instinct and won't play naturally. How else can post players play if they don't have a shoulder or hip opposite their scoring hand or how can a tennis player return a shot if they have to reach across their body all the time for a backhand.</div>

I've actually never seen a ambidextrous tennis player. If they were, they'd never have to do a backhand lol.

13. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">AnimeFANatic Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I've actually never seen a ambidextrous tennis player. If they were, they'd never have to do a backhand lol.</div>

Maria Sharapova? If a player is worried about reaching a ball, they'd use the weakhand, otherwise their backhand won't reach the weakside in time. Longer arms and quick lateral movement helps, I guess.

How about basketball defensive terms. Emeka Okafor and Shelden Williams are able to block shots using their side closest to the ball. They don't have to reach across. I think Alonzo Mourning does that, Mount Mutombo does that, and probably Hakeem Olajuwon. They keep their hands up, time it right, and use the blocking hand closest to the ball so they don't have to reach across all the time.

14. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

Wow what a win, what a game.

Don Nelson started a horrible lineup. Why does Sarunas start? Kidd and Carter would beat him every time he is supposed to be guarding him. I was really not surprised that the team fell behind so quickly. Sarunas didn't look that great vs. the Lakers, I would say he looked horrible vs. the Lakers, and him getting the start tonight is beyond me. The Nets were getting open looks all night but especially starting the game, and things didn't look so pretty.

Biedrins was huge. He was great offensively in the first half. I was hoping that they would continue to feed off Biedrins more, but they didn't, but I think they did notice him more than other nights. I think he was in the mix about 4 plays in a row offensively or like 4 out of 5 straight plays/possessions and did well. I was saying they should go to him five times in a row because he just looked very good today. Biedrins is just great. He needs, he MUST be on the court to close out the game or it's not going to happen or end in the Warriors' favor.

Pietrus and Barnes were HUGE this game as well. Pietrus couldn't find his shot, but he shut down Vince Carter. When Don Nelson used the "old" Warriors and took out at least two of the old Pacers that played today, and used Barnes and Pietrus instead, the team definitley excelled in this situation. When Barnes and Pietrus were inserted the defense was awesome. Starting the second quarter when Barnes and Pietrus were in, the Nets scored only like 4 points like half way through I believe. I know that they didn't score for like four straight minutes. That's what really turned this game around. It went from like an 18 point deficit to a very strong run for the Warriors starting defensively, which gave the Warriors a lot of momentum before the defense kind of went away near the end. But still obviously the second quarter was the Warriors' best this game.

Al Harrington was good. I was so mad that he missed that pass in the 4th when momentum was swinging for the Warriors. The Nets then came down off the turnover and I believe Kidd made a perimeter shot again (he was hot tonight) to go ahead I think. But overall he did the scoring, which really no other Warrior really was doing besides Biedrins and Ellis and out of nowhere Matt Barnes. Harrington did get to the line though to knock down some very important FT's. You have to like Harrington's 10 FTA and 7 FTM, and a high shooting percentage from the field going 10-14.

The officiating this game seemed very odd. I would say that the Warriors got some rough calls, especially Biedrins like normal. I think about 3 fouls on Biedrins really didn't seem like fouls from where I was watching, granted maybe I didn't have the best angle, but watching it on the big screens in the arena the calls still seemed pretty bad. But in reality there were some strange calls on the Nets as well, so I guess it evened out for the most part, if not gave the Warriors an advantage.

I am very happy about Matt Barnes' production. What a great game for him. His defense, rebounding, and tenasity were big tonight, as well as hitting some key buckets. I love Barnes' attitude. Here is a comment from him after the game: “We really needed it. We really have to learn on the fly with these new guys. We're half-way through the season, so I definitely think this was a good step. Now, take care of Saturday’s game, get a little winning streak and gain some confidence.” Talk about a focused player and competitor.

The Warriors definitley won this as a team. There were many big plays by lots of players even the ones who didn't do so well in general such as Baron Davis who got that big rebound at the end, Pietrus with his defense, Biedrins being Biedrins, Monta and the rest who were not superb but at least because of Monta's shot, which was set up by the rest of the team, we can say they won.

Finally I hope Don Nelson loses his love for Sarunas and puts him at the end of the bench near Azubuike and Foyle. Sarunas starting vs. Kidd and Carter? Are you kidding me? And with this defense, mainly the zone or matchup zone defense, if there is one weak-link then the whole defense struggles. Also Sarunas playing PG for this team doesn't fit. Maybe he can do it as much as McLeod tried, but not too much more than that. If his shot is going then I don't mind him being an off guard. But if his shot is not going, he really seems like a liability. I think Sarunas as a defender makes Mike Dunleavy look like an all NBA defender. I am sure Sarunas can be productive for the team. I just didn't like it tonight, Monday night, and I really don't like him getting minutes where Azubuike should probably be playing. Azubuike has proven a lot more with this team than Sarunas. Maybe Nelson was trying to be patient or test his new players, but tonight's starting lineup went a little too far I think.

15. upsidedownside7

upsidedownside7 JBB JustBBall Member

Great win. Baron was horrible the entire game but picked it up the last two minutes and helped us to the win. I think it's going to get worse for him before it gets better but I'm pulling for him even if he chucks up shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot.

Rest of the guys were awesome, Minnie lost tonight...we're only one game back from the 8th spot. Lets get it.

16. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    Man, I had to go run an errand an missed some of the game, but did hear it on radio. I didn't think I missed much at first. Dawg the Warriors have to stop falling behind like that and whaaaa? this is the 3rd close game in a row. Yeah, yeah it's still a new team and they're getting used to playing together, but another loss (which it looked like) would've been devastating.

Tonight Monta really stepped up to nail that 3. He's got ice water in his veins. Wow. I thought all 17,000 fans there could've all hugged Monta on that one. Oh yeah, some could've been Nets fans, but that's still a huge mass hug.

And Barnes. I have to apologize to Barnes. I was ready to throw him off the truck, but he played well tonight or it sounded like it. Maybe he's getting it or he's listening to this board. When he's not trying to be Michael Jordan and shoot the ball all the time, he's got some skills.

Anyway, it should be interesting the next couple of weeks. Time to get some wins under the belt and climb above .500.

17. jason bourne

Law enforcement
    <div class="quote_poster">Clif25 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Wow what a win, what a game.

Don Nelson started a horrible lineup. Why does Sarunas start? Kidd and Carter would beat him every time he is supposed to be guarding him. I was really not surprised that the team fell behind so quickly. Sarunas didn't look that great vs. the Lakers, I would say he looked horrible vs. the Lakers, and him getting the start tonight is beyond me. The Nets were getting open looks all night but especially starting the game, and things didn't look so pretty.

Biedrins was huge. He was great offensively in the first half. I was hoping that they would continue to feed off Biedrins more, but they didn't, but I think they did notice him more than other nights. I think he was in the mix about 4 plays in a row offensively or like 4 out of 5 straight plays/possessions and did well. I was saying they should go to him five times in a row because he just looked very good today. Biedrins is just great. He needs, he MUST be on the court to close out the game or it's not going to happen or end in the Warriors' favor.

Pietrus and Barnes were HUGE this game as well. Pietrus couldn't find his shot, but he shut down Vince Carter. When Don Nelson used the "old" Warriors and took out at least two of the old Pacers that played today, and used Barnes and Pietrus instead, the team definitley excelled in this situation. When Barnes and Pietrus were inserted the defense was awesome. Starting the second quarter when Barnes and Pietrus were in, the Nets scored only like 4 points like half way through I believe. I know that they didn't score for like four straight minutes. That's what really turned this game around. It went from like an 18 point deficit to a very strong run for the Warriors starting defensively, which gave the Warriors a lot of momentum before the defense kind of went away near the end. But still obviously the second quarter was the Warriors' best this game.

Al Harrington was good. I was so mad that he missed that pass in the 4th when momentum was swinging for the Warriors. The Nets then came down off the turnover and I believe Kidd made a perimeter shot again (he was hot tonight) to go ahead I think. But overall he did the scoring, which really no other Warrior really was doing besides Biedrins and Ellis and out of nowhere Matt Barnes. Harrington did get to the line though to knock down some very important FT's. You have to like Harrington's 10 FTA and 7 FTM, and a high shooting percentage from the field going 10-14.

The officiating this game seemed very odd. I would say that the Warriors got some rough calls, especially Biedrins like normal. I think about 3 fouls on Biedrins really didn't seem like fouls from where I was watching, granted maybe I didn't have the best angle, but watching it on the big screens in the arena the calls still seemed pretty bad. But in reality there were some strange calls on the Nets as well, so I guess it evened out for the most part, if not gave the Warriors an advantage.

I am very happy about Matt Barnes' production. What a great game for him. His defense, rebounding, and tenasity were big tonight, as well as hitting some key buckets. I love Barnes' attitude. Here is a comment from him after the game: ?We really needed it. We really have to learn on the fly with these new guys. We're half-way through the season, so I definitely think this was a good step. Now, take care of Saturday?s game, get a little winning streak and gain some confidence.? Talk about a focused player and competitor.

The Warriors definitley won this as a team. There were many big plays by lots of players even the ones who didn't do so well in general such as Baron Davis who got that big rebound at the end, Pietrus with his defense, Biedrins being Biedrins, Monta and the rest who were not superb but at least because of Monta's shot, which was set up by the rest of the team, we can say they won.

Finally I hope Don Nelson loses his love for Sarunas and puts him at the end of the bench near Azubuike and Foyle. Sarunas starting vs. Kidd and Carter? Are you kidding me? And with this defense, mainly the zone or matchup zone defense, if there is one weak-link then the whole defense struggles. Also Sarunas playing PG for this team doesn't fit. Maybe he can do it as much as McLeod tried, but not too much more than that. If his shot is going then I don't mind him being an off guard. But if his shot is not going, he really seems like a liability. I think Sarunas as a defender makes Mike Dunleavy look like an all NBA defender. I am sure Sarunas can be productive for the team. I just didn't like it tonight, Monday night, and I really don't like him getting minutes where Azubuike should probably be playing. Azubuike has proven a lot more with this team than Sarunas. Maybe Nelson was trying to be patient or test his new players, but tonight's starting lineup went a little too far I think.</div>

Some good comments from the game Cliff. Was Baron the one feeding AB? I agree the Warriors need to get him involved more on offense and then I think his game picks up -- more boards and defense.

18. jason bourne

Law enforcement
    LOL. That probablility meter is like the +/- stat. Useless most of the time.

19. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">jason voorhees Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Some good comments from the game Cliff. Was Baron the one feeding AB? I agree the Warriors need to get him involved more on offense and then I think his game picks up -- more boards and defense.</div>

I think Sarunas made a nice assist to Andris. Sarunas and Andris seem to have a good connection. I think Baron had an assist to Biedrins. Really I can't remember visually how Biedrins scored his points, besides I do remember a nice dunk in the second half (there were actually a lot of dunks it seemed in the second by several Warriors players - it was fun. Vince had an amazing one as well). But really I thought Biedrins was mostly producing in the role of a go-to scorer in the paint. His moves are really getting better. Now obviously he wasn't playing against great competition in the paint. But nonetheless I am eager to just have the team feed Biedrins too much, again like 5 times in a row or most in the low post (instead of the high post where he mostly seemed to be playing in the second half) just to see what he can do, especially vs. a front court like what the Nets had today.

20. Custodianrules2

Baron, Cabbages, and Al got Biedrins the ball once or twice. Plus, I think he scored on a tip-in off somebody's miss. Biedrins had a nice pass to Al for a 3 point shot. I thought the no-look pass from Cabbages to Biedrins was sick.

I don't think Cabbages has any business playing the two with Baron Davis, and defending against 6'6 and highly athletic Vince Carter. That was a bad matchup call. He should be a point guard in control of the ball where he has the height advantage to shoot over smaller players.

Unfortunately both Cabbages and Sjax were non-factors in this game. But we can't count on one or two individuals to do well every game. They're kind of like role players. We don't have consistency or star power, but we do have more depth that fits the small ball running game style. If everyone is playing badly then obviously we can't really answer back because we have to run it. There's no choice.