New and Improved Sergio

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Nikolokolus, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2008/10/blazers_sergio_rodriguez_frees.html

After reading that article and seeing Sergio's improved play this pre-season (in person against Sacramento, and on TV against Golden State)I just have to say how pleased I am to see the guy respond to the challenge. I've been highly critical of Rodriguez since about half way through his rookie year when it started to become apparent that he might not be able to do anything but pass and I was almost certain he'd fold under the pressure of having a lottery pick breathing down his neck for PT, but for now I say "good for him, and keep it going!"

These were my favorite parts of the article:

and ...

Go get 'em. :cheers:

2. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

I'm curious what's going to happen to him when Blake comes back.

3. Nikolokolus

At this point I have a feeling it's Bayless who is going to be taking a cut into his PT. Sergio still isn't the defender Jerryd is, but he's now at least a decent threat to hit his jumper, and he did a pretty decent job on D-Will (inferred from reading the box score)

4. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

Hey,

I am one of those that critically questioned Sergio's ability to be productive as an NBA player given his clear problems. So far he seems better - we will know for sure once the real season starts. I would be delighted if Sergio can overcome his defensive and shooting issues - because his court vision and passing are a thing of beauty.

I still think that the Bayless has what it takes to become the team's long term starting point guard - but it will be interesting to see if Sergio can play his way into consideration as a long term blazer...

5. Tortimer

Tortimer Well-Known Member

I'm still not sold on Sergio but I have to admit he has improved his shot. I still don't think he is a good enough shooter but I could be wrong. I think he will be the 2nd PG on the team behind Blake at the start of the season. One thing going for him outside of his improved shot is having Rudy on the team. I think he will play better with Rudy then Bayless. I still believe Bayless will eventually win the starting PG spot with Roy unless we can have both Roy and Rudy in the starting backcourt. It might take Bayless 1/2 of this year or maybe even all year but IMO he is our future PG.

6. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

Sergio is averaging 3.5TOs a game in pre-season.

That said, I think he fits in perfectly with the second unit, and I agree that Bayless may be the one to have his minutes cut IF Outlaw and Rudy can score consistently off of the bench (once Martell gets back and healthy).

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  7. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

Sergio with improved shooting, defending, and confidence??? Yes please! It's just, how many Blazers can I be excited about before I give up on the notion that I'm an objective viewer?

the Blazers look like they've got an incredible minutes crunch looming. Thats probably what the 15=16 slogan is trying to address before it happens. Barring a trade(s), worthy players are going to be clapping.

STOMP

8. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    It all points to a big trade. Rather than letting LaFrentz expire (and letting Webster and Frye walk, to open up cap space), I could better imagine a big roster-thinning deal. LaFrentz, Frye, Outlaw and Rodriguez (if Rodriguez is having a strong season at the trade deadline) could be a very attractive package to some team.

9. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    Bayless, not Sergio, will be the bait in that trade, and that's the only reason we got him in the first place.

Behind Brandon, Rudy, and Martell, he's our 4th best SG (5th best if you count Steve), and he's NOT a PG nor will he ever be.

10. Nikolokolus

We get it Maris, you're still convinced Steve Blake is somehow a shooting guard, and Sergio craps gold bricks. I posted this thread because I'm happy that Rodriguez seems to have figured a few things out and has a shot at being a rotation player on this team, not so we can get into the very old, very tired, super lame, Sergio v. Jack 2.0 argument.

How about we sit back, not take sides (player X vs. Player Y) and just see where the season goes.