New Backup Point Guard

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Masala716, May 16, 2014.

1. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I actually think Sessions would be an excellent option for this off-season. He's basically fallen off the radar, and I doubt he'll get much attention. He'd be very good choice for our backup PG spot.

2. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

yeah, he doesn't do spectacular things but seems steady and solid

of course, there is some reason to be skeptical about his numbers due to playing time sample sizes

Still, per36 (for rate comparisons), 17 points and 13 rebounds are strong numbers. Last 2 years he's had TotalRebTRates of 20% and 19%. Even more impressive are his offensive rebound numbers. His career off reb rate is 14.1%. For perspective, Lopez had his best offensive rebounding season this year and his rate just for the season was 13.6%

Hill isn't a big offensive threat but he's ok. Shoots well over 50% from the field and almost 70% from the FT line. Usage rate under 20% which is good although he doesn't appear to be much of an assist man

I think he's versatile enough to play with either Aldridge or Lopez, leaving those guys at their preferred positions. That can't be said of TRob, But Hill & TRob could probably dominate as 2nd unit rebounders at times

I'd think he will sign for less then the MLE but I've given up trying to predict what some GM's will pay for players. There always seem to be some head-shaking free agent signings.

above is from another board and I fully agree with it

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  3. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree get Best Player Available for the MLE then worry about positional balance after. There are more solid veteran free agents at the PG spot than any other position, so someone will be left for not much more than the minimum. We really only need a 3rd string backup PG. If we first get a player who thinks he's too good, like Mo, there might be chemistry problems if he is getting DNP's or sitting behind our younger players.

A well rounded backup SF that can score and defend like Kirilenko and allow Nic to play some time at SG would be great. I had hoped Wright would be that guy but it hasn't worked out. If that player isn't available the best big man we can get for the MLE would be fine. We had that stretch where LMA and Freeland were hurt; it would be very nice to have a veteran big body for those times. That all being said if someone like Shawn Livingston is our highest ranked free agent available then I'd be fine with using the full mid level on him even if it makes PG crowded.

4. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    Your MO has always been to tear other people's ideas to shreds without giving up any ideas of your own.

5. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    Trade Mo for this guy!

[​IMG]

6. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    His father, Joe. (I don't know how to make this blimp-big.)

[​IMG]

7. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

Yeah I backed it up with what I thought are some solid points on Hill and he goes away

8. 42N8Bounce

42N8Bounce Red Hot And Rebuilding

There are 9 teams that definitely need a starting PG or backup PG:
    - Toronto
    - Miami
    - San Antonio
    - Chicago
    - Golden State
    - Brooklyn
    - Charlotte
    - Memphis
    - Portland

The top unrestricted free agent PGs:
    - Kyle Lowry (17.9 ppg, 7.4 apg, 20.2 PER) - Toronto needs a starting PG. Since they are over the cap and have bird rights to Kyle Lowry, they will probably either re-sign him, or S&T. Kyle Lowery is essentially off the board unless the Blazers are willing to give up assets beyond the MLE or BAE.
    - Mario Chalmers (9.8 ppg, 4.9 apg, 14.1 PER)- Miami needs a starting PG. Since they are over the cap and have bird rights to Mario Chalmers, they will probably either re-sign him, or S&T. Mario Chalmers is essentially off the board unless the Blazers are willing to give up assets beyond the MLE or BAE.
    - Shaun Livingston (8.3 ppg, 3.2 apg, 14.5 PER) - Brooklyn needs a backup PG. They are over the tax, and can only offer Livingston their BAE ($2.1M), or tax-MLE ($3.3M).
    - Patty Mills (10.2 ppg, 1.8 apg, 18.8 PER) - SA needs a backup PG. They will be near tax levels. They have Bird rights, so more than likely they will re-sign him, or offer their BAE ($2.1M) or MLE ($5.3M).
    - DJ Augustin (13.1 ppg, 4.4 apg, 16.2 PER) - Chicago needs a backup PG. They will be over the CAP. They have non-Bird rights (sign up to 120% of last year's salary), so more than likely they will re-sign him, or offer their BAE ($2.1M) or MLE ($5.3M).
    - Ramon Sessions (12.3 ppg, 4.1 apg, 16.0 PER) - Milwaukee doesn't need a backup PG. They have Knight & Wolters.
    - Aaron Brooks (9.0 ppg, 3.2 apg, 12.5 PER) - Denver doesn't need a backup PG. They have Lawson & Robinson. They own non-bird rights to Brooks if they want to use it for potential S&T.
    - Steve Blake (6.9 ppg, 5.6 apg, 11.1 PER) - GS needs a backup PG. They will be near the tax level. Since they are near the tax level and have bird rights to Blake, they will either re-sign him, or S&T. Blake is essentially off the board unless the Blazers are willing to give up assets beyond the MLE or BAE.
    - Rodney Stuckey (13.9 ppg, 2.1 apg, 14.0 PER) - Detroit doesn't need a backup PG. They have Jennings & Bynum. Detroit is over the Cap. They have Bird rights for Stuckey.
    - Jordan Farmar (10.1 ppg, 4.9 apg, 15.1 PER) – LAL don’t need a backup PG. They have Nash & Marshall. They have Cap room if they renounce some of their players like Gasol and Kaman. They have non-Bird rights to Farmar.
    - Mo Williams (9.7 ppg, 4.3 apg, 11.9 PER) – Portland has non-Bird rights (120%).

That leave Charlotte (under Cap), Memphis (tax) and Portland (over Cap) looking to sign:
    - Shaun Livingston
    - Ramon Sessions
    - Aaron Brooks
    - Rodney Stuckey
    - Jordan Farmar
    If none of those work out, we’re looking at bringing Mo back.

Boise Blazer likes this.
  9. Boise Blazer

Boise Blazer Thread Lightly

Great job! Repped. I think most of those guys are at least as good as Mo and definitely better than Watson so that should be an easy improvement for our bench

BTW here is a comparison:

http://bkref.com/tiny/ASUjN

Looking at that list Farmar might be a very affordable option if all else fails

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  10. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Yeah reminds me of a bully trying to make people feel stupid so he feels better about his pathetic life.

11. bodyman5000 and 1

bodyman5000 and 1 Lions, Tigers, Me, Bears

Yur stoopid.

How do I do green font? Me stupid.

12. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

42 poster, great analysis.

The more I look at Livingston the more I'd like to sign him. He has the intangibles especially passing that would be great in a Stotts offense. He's still young, what 28? He can start if need be but doesn't care about shots or minutes.

13. 42N8Bounce

42N8Bounce Red Hot And Rebuilding

Agreed. Since Brooklyn can use their tax-MLE and sign him up to $3.3M, are we willing to go above that to bring Livingston on board? You're right, he's 28, going on 29 next season. I wouldn't mind seeing the Blazers offer him a 3 year contract starting around $4M, with team options for years 2 and 3 in case he runs into more injury issues. I think Brooklyn will out bid us if we only try to use our BAE at $2.1M.

14. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

15. Eastoff

Eastoff But it was a beginning.

This is exactly what Neil Olshey said he plans on doing. He trusts Stotts can figure out how to make a roster work. I mean it's the bench, it doesn't have to follow the NBA meta as closely as the starters.