OT New NFL Kneeling Rule

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Chris Craig, May 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Your take is very naive.

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2018
    dviss1 likes this.
  2. Gronk Brady

Gronk Brady Well-Known Member

You are right, and that is a totally different problem from the officers that are just bad people... that hard part is how do you solve that problem? I wish we had the answers

3. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    I’ll give you this, a lot of cops end up with drinking problems because of the crap they see.

I said earlier in this thread that I was robbed at gun point by a couple Black men, and I will admit that it took me a while to mentally over come that, like being out alone, or when people would walk up behind me on the street.

I don’t know the answer though, I think Cops are put in poor positions, poorly trained, make huge mistakes all the time, and I think a lot of them never intended to go kill someone that day.

I also understand I will never know what’s it’s like to be a Black Guy in America, and while I believe I am empathetic to their struggle. I can’t really say if fearing every police officer is “right” or”wrong”, but I understand that sometime instinct kind of takes over and when we feel like we might be in danger, it’s more about survival than is it right to feel this way.
    Like in the story you told of you and your son at Starbucks, I don’t know if those cops even thought twice about the fact you were there, but it sounds like (at least to me) the instinct are these guys out to get me, came up.

I hope this doesn’t sound like I’m making excuses for cops, or like I’m being a racist. I want to be involved in this discussion because I honestly wish I could help be a part of the solution, but maybe I just can’t be.

Hoopguru and dviss1 like this.
  4. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

No doubt he can play, but there is also no doubt he would be 3rd string for the Eagles.

dviss1 likes this.
  5. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

If the Blazers won 51% of their games forever would they be good?

6. Gronk Brady

Good point... but I still don’t think it’s fair to stereo type an entire group of people because some of them risk their lives to protect people because they care... but I agree there are major problems that need to be fixed

Hoopguru likes this.
  7. Gronk Brady

I just want to say that no matter what viewpoints and disagreements we all have, I like and appreciate everyone that post here (Except CupWizer)... because at the end of the day we are all very passionate about Blazers and it’s whats bringing us all together

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.
  8. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

The fact that you're willing to examine it makes you pat of the solution. It's the MFs who start bringing up stats to act like it's not a problem that piss me off.

9. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Until they show that they don't have systemic racism in their department, I think it's very fair.

They'd interact with the majority black popoulation of Ferguson in this way:

"Some people's interactions with police turned downright abusive, as the report described:

We spoke with one African-American man who, in August 2014, had an argument in his apartment to which FPD officers responded, and was immediately pulled out of the apartment by force. After telling the officer, "you don't have a reason to lock me up," he claims the officer responded: "N*****, I can find something to lock you up on." When the man responded, "good luck with that," the officer slammed his face into the wall, and after the man fell to the floor, the officer said, "don't pass out motherf****r because I'm not carrying you to my car."

Darren Wilson regularly used the N word.

He gets off Scot free for MURDERING Michael Brown and we have to hear about crimes that may have been committed that shouldn't be publishable by death...

I'm sorry but black people don't run at police with guns. That whole point is bullshit. So...

STOP giving the police the benefit of the doubt. They certainly DON'T deserve it.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    blue9 likes this.
  10. Gronk Brady

Again, I’m not defending anyone’s actions... just don’t like stereotyping and entire group... Like TorturedBlazersFan, I was also robbed at gun point by a black man at Holiday park when I was in high school... it never made me stereo type all all black people negatively... I know everyone is there own person, and that was a bad person regaurdless of what race... so I get you are mad at the system, I am too, but to say ALL officers are bad, I don’t agree with that... but I do agree with you that the system is fucked up and something needs to be done

11. BigDaddyAl1973

BigDaddyAl1973 Well-Known Member

Accountant
    except the military spent a lot of money to the NFL to do this

SlyPokerDog and dviss1 like this.
  12. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

I don't think they're out to get me. I just don't know nor believe that they would treat me like a human if we interacted.

I've had good cop experiences. The guy who sent me to the Emanuel Hospital High Risk driving course instead of giving me a speeding ticket. The one where he stops me and let's me go after telling me to "stop looking at my phone and drive" after I slam on my brakes to avoid rear ending the car in front of me.

I've also had police draw their guns out on me as a 15 year old kid. I've been assaulted by the cops too. I've been, as a kid, assaulted by a grown white man and have cops do nothing. Not even tell my parents.

This makes me wary of all cops because power corrupts.

13. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    I have nothing to say other than I’m sorry that crap happened to you. Hope that as your kid grows up he never has to experience that, and that as a society we get to a point where he never has to be afraid of how he will be treated because of the tone of his skin.

dviss1 likes this.
  14. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

You're disagreeing with something that's never been said. Stop making shit up.

I'll repeat my analogy:

Just like you might fear Syrian refugees coming here because one may be a terrorist, I fear police because one might be a murderer.

BonesJones likes this.
  15. Gronk Brady

Being that my family came from that region of the world, I’ve had people call my dad a terrorist and try to attack him... I don’t get angry at people, I feel sorry for their ignorance... and I won’t stereotype someone else because they do it to me... it’s easier to change someone’s mind with kindness and knowledge than accusations and anger

16. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Not all police are bad, but the police force is bad.
    Not all bankers are bad, but the banking system is bad.
    Not all politicians are bad, but the political system is bad.

Until they prove otherwise, these systems do not deserve the benefit of the doubt. They are rotten at the core.

hoopsjock, dviss1 and Gronk Brady like this.
  17. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Until MFs understand this^^^^^:

"Very well What choice do I have? It is as if you have seized me at the base of my snarglies!"

- Beldar Conehead

18. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

I actually get paid to post here. Thats my excuse.

19. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

For a team that was essentially tanking, with a shit offense and and crappy NFL coach.

20. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

The whole idea of America is the acceptance of anyone, and how anyone, no matter their color, fender, or other differentiation, can achieve prosperity, and have an equal opportunity to success through their own hard work. That's part of the foundation of America. A foundation that isnt true. Being "close enough" to a core ideal isnt close at all. He's not saying the flag stands for what is wrong, he's saying that the country has ideals that it isn't held to, and that it doesn't emulate... That the governmental systems in place are promoting the opposite of what the flag supposedly stands for.

For some people, they're not oppressed, so they can easily see the "good in the flag". The American idea is accessible for them, so they appreciate the ideal. But the idea, being based on equal opportunity, isn't accessible to other population groups, so how can you expect them to see the prosperity and the good in the flag that represents the ideals themselves?

blue9 and dviss1 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.