OT New NFL Kneeling Rule

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Chris Craig, May 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. borim69

borim69 Well-Known Member

I am a combat veteran, I do respect your right to kneel and protest, I do think that they are a bunch of assholes, but that being said you got my attention now what do you want? When you ask that question you get a lot of hate speech and no solutions that is when I turn it off. The NFL is a sports organization not a political arena if I wanted to watch political and social agenda's I can turn on any other channel 24/7 and watch. These players that kneel have the money and the resources to do whatever they want now that they have everyone's attention what will they do with it? My guess is nothing but we shall see. As far as the NFL doing it because it hurts their bottom line of course they are, because they are a sports organization and not a political arena. They are in this business to make money and not fix the countries problems. If joe the pizza guy shows up at your door and hands you a flyer on some political agenda instead of your pizza you might take notice and say ok that is a good cause so now what? but if he does it everytime you order a pizza and you never get your pizza I am willing to bet you are going to another pizza delivery place and joe gets fired because they are in the business to make money not fix the countries problems.
    So in other words protest it is all good, but have solutions/ideas not hate speech because you just lost your audience if you do that.

Hoopguru, Gronk Brady and BBert like this.
  2. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Ahhh yes.. Let's make up random statistics when we don't need to...

You're point is valid without making up binders, don't discredit it with that stuff.. and did you quote yourself? Cmon man..

"90% of people are bad"

That's a blanket statement, and has no context. Bad in terms of immorality based off the bible? Bad in terms of immorality based off common public perception?

So you think at least 3 of the people on our Rip City 3-on-3 team are bad people?

Gronk Brady likes this.
  3. BonesJones

Okay, then ask the NFL to stop playing the national anthem before games. Y'all make a big deal about the NFL being a "political arena", but the "issue" is in regards to how people exercise their first amendment rights in response to a political anthem being played across an arena...

No anthem = no kneeling = no politics. So if you have a problem with the politics in the NFL,why isn't you're issue with the anthem? Is it because it's ritualistically comfortable for you? Is it because you have pride in the anthem (which others don't for valid reasons)?

tykendo, dviss1 and BBert like this.
  4. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    Strange that no one got this upset when Tim Tebow took a knee during the national anthem.

Wonder why that is.

dviss1 and BBert like this.
  5. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Yeah this is kind of why I have no problem with the kneeling issue. If the players turned their back to the flag then I would have an issue. But kneeling is not a sign of disrespect. It is often a sign of praying or giving honor to. The NFL should have ignored it and it would be over by now. Not saying to ignore the problem the players are trying to bring attention to, just the kneeling portion.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
    dviss1 and julius like this.
  6. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    They know exactly what they're doing

7. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    How ironic would it be if the NFL had issued a policy that, "In order to show respect for the country and the flag, all players will be required to kneel during the playing of the national anthem".

That of course would never happen but the idea made me laugh.

Then I realized the act of making the players kneel would be turned into symbolic subjugation, which would be an even bigger problem.

As long as I can remember I've felt that the forced participation of the anthem ceremony at sporting events was inappropriate. But it's here to stay now that it's been turned into a political cudgel by "He who shall not be named". A proper leader could have easily diffused the situation and we wouldn't even be talking about it. Unfortunately what we have instead is a dangerous narcissist who seeks only personal advantage in demonizing all people of color and turning Americans against each other in every way he can imagine, solely for his own personal gain. It terrifies me that such a person has a 45% approval rating.

If the NFL was this intimidated by the backlash of a few players kneeling, the league could certainly not afford the backlash of canceling the ceremony altogether after all the propaganda that's been spewed. The NFL and other leagues have brought this upon themselves by decades of complicity in subjecting their customers to forced government indoctrination, all forms of which I believe to be inherently dangerous.

I hope everyone has a great Memorial Day weekend and gets a chance to spend time with friends and family. And please, if you get a chance, commit an act of kindness.

WaConstitution Forever!

:cheers:

blue9 likes this.
  8. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

What are you talking about? Read the thread again. I never said 90% of people are bad.... I said more than 10% of people are bad. Reading is fundamental.

9. BonesJones

Copy+pasted directly from your post: "Because 90% of us are NOT good".

10. borim69

borim69 Well-Known Member

Its called National Pride that is why it is played at sporting events. It really has nothing to do with politics just National pride and yes I am proud of this country not sure why you are not. It does not start with some college professor out there saying that all white people are racist, or some Hollywood actor/actress calling the presidents press secretary fat, and it damn sure doesn't start with some overpaid flash in the pan quarterback who is no longer in the spotlight. It starts with some dude sitting in a Wafflehouse and taking out a gunman and not giving a shit about the cameras, It starts with the neighbor who you really don't like giving you a ride to work because your car broke down or the guy waiting in the parking lot cause he dinged your fender at the supermarket when he could have just driven away. That is why I stand for the flag. The fifty stars represents the fifty states and all the people in those states not the government of those states. The thirteen stripes represents the original thirteen colonies. The blue represents the courage of the men and women who fought the red represents the blood that was shed and the white represents the honor they had ,The flag does not wave for the government it waves for the people. So when you don't stand for the national anthem yeah you are kind of disrespecting the people. Is that ritualistic enough for you?
    That is all I have to say on this matter bash away it is your right.

BBert and Gronk Brady like this.
  11. BonesJones

Your response shows you didn't fully grasp what I was trying to say, and there's no point in repeating myself.

You want the flag to stand for the same things for you as it does for a completely different group of people with a competent different set experiences.

The man who has it better is usually the man who understands the least, unless he's worked from the bottom. Here's an analogy to this statement from you: Born rich, die rich? Then you don't know what it's like to be poor. But the rich man could cry about how disrespectful the poor people are being, if they don't take pride in a symbolism of a flag made up of dollar bills. To you, it stands for hardwork, and if you're charitable, it could stand for helping others and making a better place. And then you see the poor community kneeling, trying to gain attention to get their voices heard. What is their message? They want minimum wage to be raised... but because it means such good things to you, and you take such pride in it, it's disrespectful, based on your ideal of national pride based on your own set of experiences.

If a table is painted different colors on the top and bottom, a man sitting under it could say it's green.. a man standing over it could say it's red.. yet the man standing over it thinks they man sitting under it is crazy, because they can see that man, and they can see the red topping of the table, so why can't that man realize it's red? They fail to see it from that man's point of view, because they're not seeing things from their perspective.

Perception through experience is everything, and so many people lack the ability to see anothers.

dviss1 and BBert like this.
  12. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

So. Read it correctly. Read the sentence before. Context matters.

90% are NOT good people. It's more like 65%.

13. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

You don't get it, probably never will.

Ask natives what that flag represents.

It means different things to white people than it does to black and native people. We know this country was founded on our backs.

mook and BonesJones like this.
  14. BonesJones

What? 90% aren't good. 65% are?

You realize that makes no sense? You wouldn't see 6 out of 10 marbles being red and say, "90% are NOT red" because 60% of them are...

15. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

It's a mistake ok. Jesus. What I'm saying is, saying that 90% of us are good people is a false statement when it's really more like 65% of us.

16. BonesJones

That makes more sense, don't say "Jesus" at me because you phrased something in a confusing way.

Still don't understand why you bring made up stats to the conversation when your point can be strong without them.. it started to sound like a tangent at that point..

dviss1 likes this.
  17. Binx

Binx Well-Known Member

I think the NFL should let the players protest between every single play. They should also let them hold up signs on the sidelines that say “Black lives matter,” and allow them to go into the stands at any time during the game so they can have meaningful discussions with the fans about racism and injustice. I know I certainly go to football games to get lectured about right and wrong.

18. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

"Lecture" your own about the right and wrong away from the football game then. It's the absence of this that's caused the athletes you cheer for, to feel the need to use one of the only platforms they have to speak about injustice. If you don't want it at your football games, go out in to the community and help.

BonesJones likes this.
  19. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    One thing I find kind of weird about all of this is that the NBA has a rule to stand during the Anthem and the players have for the most part respected that rule while still being clear about the message they want to get out.
    Is it because the NBA does a better job at giving there players a podium to speak on?
    I kind of feel and maybe it’s because I’ve never lived somewhere with an NFL team, that the NBA encourages there players to be a part of change in there community even when the cameras aren’t on, while the NFL is 100% about the show.
    This isn’t a comment about the players themselves, just the leagues as a business.

20. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

TT never wore socks implying Police as Pigs. Or, promoting the grand social justice, that Fidel Castro offered his people.
    If Kap had kept his case less anti cop or American (by not promoting a tyrant commie pinko) it would have helped.

Gronk Brady likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.