Next Year!

Discussion in 'AFC North' started by Steelerfan_2005, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Steelerfan_2005

Steelerfan_2005 The Peacekeeper XL

What does anyone think the Steelers need to do to get back to winning again? What will the offseason bring in your opinions and what do you think the offseason should bring?

I'm listing these in order of importance:

1. New Defensive Coordinator - Tim Lewis has had his day but it has passed. It's time to get someone with a fresh perspective in there and shake things up. We have enough talent to win, we just need a new system.

2. Secondary changes - The secondary needs shaken up. Cut Washington, sign a high profile Corner like Woodson, Springs, or Baily and give the opposite starting position to Ike Taylor. Palomalu & Hope should start at FS & SS. That should help get some youth and raw talent in there with a little veteran play as well.

3. Running Back - Of course it'd be nice to see this moreso than the first two, but you know it's not going to be tip top priority. I think we should draft the kid from Oregon State - (Steve Jackson?) or go after Travis Henry or Moe Williams. Henry could be dealt because Buffalo has Magahee now and Williams will surely be looking for work since Minnesota has Bennett, Chapman, and O. Smith. This is probably the least likely to happen, but this is what I'd like to see happen.

4. Right Tackle - The position continues to plague us. We need to go after a player of Walter Jones calibur, but I would settle for a high draft pick. Hartings may not play next year, but Okobi will do fine at Center. We need a RIGHT TACKLE!

5. Quarterback - I'm still behind Tommy but if they aren't going to develop St. Pierre then they need to draft another Quarterback. You always should be thinking about your future.

SF

2. Pats37

Pats37 The Next Big Thing

I would say your first priority should be to get secondary help FAST!!! your def continues to be shredded by spread formations. I don't know much about your D coordinator but I agree with What Viking said baout Cowher should be feeling some heat. Personally I think they should get a new coach because his act has to get old sometime and a fresh face with a whole new perspective on how things should be done could get things started. I do believe it's more than a coordinator.

3. Steelerfan_2005

It's ok Pats, I see where you're coming from and you're not alone. There are alot of fans here in Pittsburgh that are ready to see Cowher move on. I'm not so sure. The guy has done some amazing things over the years and is dedicated to getting the job done. Next year will be his bubble year. If he can't make some good moves, I'm afraid I'll be on the fire Cowher bandwagon.

4. DolfanDale

DolfanDale Active Member

I think Bill Cowher is an excellent coach. I think he'll bring the Steelers back. The best compliment that I can give Cowher is that I wouldn't mind see him come to the Dolphins if the Steelers fire him. I think he would bring a fire to the Dolphins that Dave Wannstedt has been unable to do. SF, is Cowher the Steeler's GM?

5. Steelerfan_2005

No, he's just the HC. And that's where he belongs. I'm not sure his strengths lie in the GM position.

And thanks for the props DD!

6. DolfanDale

DolfanDale Active Member

Who is the Steelers' GM? Do you think he's doing a good job?

7. Pats37

SF,

I don't doubt Cowhers' ability to coach a football team and I applaud him for having the staying power he has had it pitt because you don't see that anymore. I hope he does well and continues to be the coach of the steelers but I wouldn't be surprised if it just stopped working for him in Pitt and he was forced to move on. He would get another job in a minute and I'm sure he would do well.

8. Steelerfan_2005

Kevin Colbert is the GM. He has come over from Detroit and hasn't done a horrible job, but he definitely hasn't been perfect. Their obsession with drafting Randle El type (Kordell Stewart) players is getting a little out of hand. We need solid football players too Kevin!

I hope you're right Pats! It's nice to have the same coach after 12 years. It's also nice to do something no one else has done for a very long time. But winning the Super Bowl is still the ultimate goal and if we don't get there again soon, it won't matter how much overall success Cowher has had. This business demands success or change will come.

9. Pats37

You couldn't be more right about success.

As for the randel el types they did alrigth with MR Ward a fomer QB if I understand correctly and Krodell was a bust but not a total one. Randel el has proven to be a good third receiver and with time will get much better.

10. kcgsc

kcgsc Chiefs Enthusiast Extraordinaire

Is Mularkey the O-Coordinator? I guess after this season, he will be staying another year. After the success of last years offense, he was on the fast track to a head coaching position. I think it will be to your benefit to keep him around a little longer.

11. Steelerfan_2005

Yes, Mularkey is the OC. He needs to quit with the trick plays a bit. It's nice to have them when you're playing well to stay unpredictable, but when it's 3rd and 2, just run up the middle. No -10 yard reverse that every team sees coming. He was bad with that this year. I hope he eases up until we get our offense back on track.

12. Zackman

Zackman The Historian

SF your Steelers got your GM Colbert from Detroit ... maybe you can take Kurt Schotenhiemer to replace Tim Lewis as DC, after Mooch gets Jim Mora Jr. from the Niners. You also got your Back-up QB Charlie Batch from the Lions ... we'll take your #1 pick in the "04" draft and send you Joey for your future. [​IMG]

Marty Mornhinwig is just waiting in the wings for Cohwer's job ... of course not until after Dan Rooney does his Dog-N-Pony show with a few black applicants. LOL

13. Send em back al

Send em back al nfl-*****s member

Careful SF. Zackman is "shopping" Joey to half the league.

14. Steelerfan_2005

Yeah, I think we can do without the help of Joey. What we could use is a quality DC like Jim Mora Jr. I'd hate to see his talents wasted on a team like Detroit. <-- like that Zack? [​IMG] But seriously, I think Tim Lewis is out the door and I'd like to see the Steelers sign a quality DC before the talent starts to disappear on our defense. His schemes are, well... just bad. They are too complex and right now don't work. I guess we'll see what Pittsburgh does in the offseason, I just hope they correct the problem.

15. DolfanDale

DolfanDale Active Member

SF, Dave Wannstedt might be available in a few days!!!!

16. Steelerfan_2005

I thought about that. He might be an ok DC. I wouldn't be opposed at entertaining that thought. I know people that know him personally and they say he's a really nice guy. Maybe he was just too nice to be a head coach.

17. Zackman

Zackman The Historian

What are you saying Sam? You couldn't want to stop that pipeline from Detroit to Pittsburgh do you? Look what it's done for the Steelers already!!! [​IMG] As for Mora to Pittsburgh ... that might be the kiss of death for Mora's Head Coaching aspirations. In Cohwer's 12 years how many of his assitants have become HC's?

18. Steelerfan_2005

Ooo... that was just the wrong thing to say. We've had 5 assistants become head coaches. Not all of them have been successful, but there are plenty out there. Dom Capers, Dick Lebeau, Marvin Lewis, Chan Gailey, and Jim Haslett. That's a lot of assistants in 12 seasons. And Mularkey will be the next. So [​IMG] eat it!

19. Zackman

Zackman The Historian

I don't think many of those guys went directly from Cohwer's staff to Head Coaching jobs. You make it sound like he's Paul Brown, Bill Walsh or Mike Holmgren and that's just not the case. Nice try but that's not going to fly in this unbiased squeaky clean forum. This place is like O'Reily's "No Spine Zone" you can't spin and get away with it here Mr. Administrater. LOL ... easy now this is fun [​IMG] ... right?

20. Steelerfan_2005

Marvin Lewis was the only one that didn't go straight to being an Head Coach. He was the Steeler's linebacker's coach in 92-94 and then moved on from there. But do you remember the linebackers back then? Greg Lloyed, Kevin Greene, Levon Kirkland, & Chad Brown? It's no wonder he moved on. Of course his stint with Baltimore as their DC did a lot for his career. Many believe the only reason he didn't get a HC position sooner was because he was black.

Capers went to Carolina and became HC, Lebeau went to Cincinnati and became HC, Chan Gailey went to Dallas and became HC, and Haslett went to New Orleans and became HC. Those guys all went to HC positions from assistants in Pittsburgh.

I don't have to spin the truth.