NFL Draft Rumors

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by TheBeef, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Vintage

Vintage Defeating Communism...

2. Vintage

Update:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Norm said he has some good info. He was speculating the first round might not bring a wr, rb or cb! He also said he expects a trade of some sort with miami tomorrow! For picks, not taylor.</div>

Props to theebs from CBZ

3. Vintage

More Dallas rumors:

From Clarence Hill, this time:

IRVING -- With two first-round picks in this weekend?€™s NFL draft, the Cowboys are seemingly in a can?€™t-lose situation.

But as defensive end Marcus Spears can attest, it?€™s all about perspective.

The last time the Cowboys had two first-round picks was in 2005 -- taking linebacker DeMarcus Ware with 11th overall pick and Spears at 20th.

While Ware is a two-time Pro Bowler on the brink of super stardom, Spears is heading into this weekend?€™s draft wondering about his future.

After starting at left end the past two years, there is talk about Spears being moved out of the lineup and possibly off the team via a draft- day trade.

The Cowboys are contemplating moving Jason Hatcher into the starting lineup as well as moving nose tackle Jay Ratliff back to end, according to a source.

Any one of those moves puts Spears in the cross hairs. He has two years left on his contract that expires in 2009.

With 4.5 sacks in three years, Spears admittedly has not been as productive as even he hoped or expected. But he thinks his best football is in front him.

He has heard all the talk and rumors and although he likes it in Dallas, he says he is ready for whatever comes next.

"I have been going through everything this off-season," Spears said. "The trade talk and all the other stuff. I?€™m just doing my part, handling what I can handle. If I get caught up in the business part of football and have to make a change, I won?€™t be happy because I love it here. But at the same time I love playing the game. I am ready for whatever. Hopefully, I?€™m around. We will see what happens."

For the record, owner Jerry Jones said no one on the current roster will be used as draft-day trade bait.

"No. I can almost be, without equivocation, say that," Jones said. "That?€™s not the time to be getting value out of a player. Poor timing. Draft picks are thought too highly of and players aren?€™t thought of as much as they should be thought of."

I am not happy if this happens.... Keep Spears. He's cheap, young, and a good defender against the run. Sure, he hasn't been much of a pass rusher, but he is a large part of why the run defense was good against the left side even though Ellis was terrible against the run. If we want to move Ratliff to end or give Hatcher looks; fine. I am all for that. But NOT for moving Spears on draft day or any day, really.

Edit: I guess I should have included this... If Spears goes in a larger package, say, for a veteran WR, ok. I meant I am against trading him for a draft pick unless the value is too much to pass on.

4. cpawfan

cpawfan Monsters do exist

I feel like I'm watching the old 3 days of training camp scrimmages the Cowboys and Raiders use to have.

5. Vintage

This is from Mickey Spagnola, who is a writer for DallasCowboys.com (so keep that in mind)

They’ve done all the contract negotiations with PacMan. They are waiting for Tenn to do their paperwork. It probably gets wrapped up today. It will be a sign and trade. They have purchase 3 forms of “insurance” for this to work, and they’ve already completed two. First, they get a draft pick back if he’s not reinstated. Secondy, they’ve negotiated a contract with no guaranteed money. The third step is on draft day they can’t rely on him as a solution to CB. The day you rely on that guy he will break your heart. So they have to get their 3rd insurance policy in the first day of the draft to make sure they have a starting caliber CB on the roster if PacMan gets in trouble again. If they depend on Alan Ball to step in right away if someone gets hurt next year, you’re in the same position as last year with Jacques Reeves. I don’t think you can bank of Pac Man for continued good behavior. If he has one bad night you’re in trouble.

I don’t think they’ll trade the #22nd unless someone blows them away with a trade proposal. The 28th pick, I could see them dropping back to the 2nd round. A lot of these WRs are second round guys. A bunch of RBs are second round guys. So they could get better value by dropping back a few spots and picking up a mid round pick that they used on PacMan. Now, if someone will offer their veteran WR for the 28th pick, Jerry will certainly do it. A lot of WRs were drafted high last year, and Dewayne Bowe was the only one who made an impact as a rookie. I’m not sure rookie drafted in that area is going to immediately beat out the young guys they already have on the roster who have been here a couple of years.

George Dunham: I really like Felix Jones. He’s a perfect compliment to Barber. He’s a great return guy.

Mickey: I look at him as a niche back. If you draft him, you better find yourself another guy, because do you know if Felix Jones can fill in for an injured Barber and carry 25 times a game? That’s the only thing .. I don’t know if you can spend a first round pick on a niche back. When Deuce McAllister went down Reggie Bush couldn’t carry the load as an every down back. He’s a guy you got to move around, put in the slot, run reverses … etc. He had a great ypc in college, but a lot of that came from reverses and stuff. So you’ll need to find another normal RB if you get Felix Jones. Maybe there is a veteran out there who can fill that role cheaply. I don’t know if Shaun Alexander is ready to accept NFL minimum wage.

6. Vintage

Maybe I should create a new thread for Dallas draft talks...

7. The Return of the Raider

The Return of the Raider Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vintage @ Apr 25 2008, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>No, its stupid because your scenario is not possible. The Jets CANNOT sign Barber. The deadline has passed.

The. End.

Secondly, as I pointed out, Mosley has real sources within Dallas. He has proven this time and time again.

He is saying RB at 22 and CB at 28.

Hard to disagree with him, really, when he is the one who is talking to members within the organization.

He is also on record saying Dallas wants to try and trade down. Last year, he was on record saying Dallas wanted to trade down and take Spencer. Mosley isn't blowing smoke. He isn't a mouthpiece for the organization. Rather, he has a mouthpiece and reports the information.....</div>

Okay, so the Jets can just sign him outright. Whatever. If NY (or any other team that comes knocking) by trade then it gets done At that point, everything else in my scenario holds water.

I'm very happy for you that Moseley seems like a good source of information. Your boy Moseley may *provide you* with a very different scenario right before the #4 pick goes down tomorrow. OF COURSE he is still declaring what they would do if no deal goes down, because THEY HAVENT MADE THE DEAL YET. There is no reason to believe that the Cowboys and Raiders aren't on the telephone talking numbers even as I write this post. Are you telling us that Moseley would DISCLOSE the content of the phone calls that go between Jones and Davis before the draft starts? *That* is stupid. If no deal goes down for the #4 pick, then that could just mean that both sides couldn't come to a consensus on trade details in time before pick #4 arrives tomorrow. It certainly doesn't disqualify it from ever being attempted in the first place.

8. Vintage

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Return of the Raider @ Apr 25 2008, 01:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vintage @ Apr 25 2008, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>No, its stupid because your scenario is not possible. The Jets CANNOT sign Barber. The deadline has passed.

The. End.

Secondly, as I pointed out, Mosley has real sources within Dallas. He has proven this time and time again.

Hard to disagree with him, really, when he is the one who is talking to members within the organization.

He is also on record saying Dallas wants to try and trade down. Last year, he was on record saying Dallas wanted to trade down and take Spencer. Mosley isn't blowing smoke. He isn't a mouthpiece for the organization. Rather, he has a mouthpiece and reports the information.....</div>

Okay, so the Jets can just sign him outright. Whatever. If NY (or any other team that comes knocking) by trade then it gets done At that point, everything else in my scenario holds water.

I'm very happy for you that Moseley seems like a good source of information. Your boy Moseley may *provide you* with a very different scenario right before the #4 pick goes down tomorrow. OF COURSE he is still declaring what they would do if no deal goes down, because THEY HAVENT MADE THE DEAL YET. There is no reason to believe that the Cowboys and Raiders aren't on the telephone talking numbers even as I write this post. Are you telling us that Moseley would DISCLOSE the content of the phone calls that go between Jones and Davis before the draft starts? *That* is stupid. If no deal goes down for the #4 pick, then that could just mean that both sides couldn't come to a consensus on trade details in time before pick #4 arrives tomorrow. It certainly doesn't disqualify it from ever being attempted in the first place.
    </div>

No.. They can't sign him PERIOD.

You are missing the point. The deadline for restricted free agency is DONE. OVER. PASSED. FINAL.

Secondly, yes, Mosley would disclose such a thing. He'd say that the Cowboys were in talks to move up (he probably wouldn't name Oakland, but he would mention it)....and the reason I say so, is because LAST year, he said the Cowboys were looking to move down and take Spencer. Which. We. Did.

And if Mosley changes his tune tomorrow saying McFadden is a vital interest to Dallas, you best believe I'll be here to post it. My agenda isn't anti McFadden. Its getting the best information out there. And right now, the best information is CLEARLY saying trading down, if anything.

9. The Return of the Raider

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vintage @ Apr 25 2008, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Hell, I may as well conduct your arguments for you Raider:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d...mp;confirm=true

(I don't think its Dallas, but whatever)</div>

What we know so far:

The Raiders pretty much dangled their #4 our to the world last night, attempting to solicit more deal negotiations. They have players at positions of need for Dallas that they are willing to throw in to the deal. Jerry Jones can and could move up that high if the deal was done right. Some don't believe it will happen that way, others do. They don't need to explain their true intentions, current negotiations with *anyone* until tomorrow at 12pm PST. They can simply tout the "party line" until the last possible moment.

Good luck to the Cowboys tomorrow. I am hoping that no deal will go down, Chris Long doesn't go to an AFC team that is not Oakland, and that the Raiders are just looking for someone to "Herschel Walker" them with draft picks.

10. The Return of the Raider

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vintage @ Apr 25 2008, 01:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Return of the Raider @ Apr 25 2008, 01:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vintage @ Apr 25 2008, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>No, its stupid because your scenario is not possible. The Jets CANNOT sign Barber. The deadline has passed.

The. End.

</div>

You are missing the point. The deadline for restricted free agency is DONE. OVER. PASSED. FINAL.

Secondly, yes, Mosley would disclose such a thing. He'd say that the Cowboys were in talks to move up (he probably wouldn't name Oakland, but he would mention it)....and the reason I say so, is because LAST year, he said the Cowboys were looking to move down and take Spencer. Which. We. Did.

And if Mosley changes his tune tomorrow saying McFadden is a vital interest to Dallas, you best believe I'll be here to post it. My agenda isn't anti McFadden. Its getting the best information out there. And right now, the best information is CLEARLY saying trading down, if anything.
    </div>

Call me skeptical. Do you have a list of "Moseley"-declared choices? Not the ones you guys want, but just Moseley's. I want to keep score tomorrow and see for myself just how much he tips their hand ahead of time.

11. Vintage

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Return of the Raider @ Apr 25 2008, 01:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vintage @ Apr 25 2008, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Hell, I may as well conduct your arguments for you Raider:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d...mp;confirm=true

(I don't think its Dallas, but whatever)</div>

What we know so far:

The Raiders pretty much dangled their #4 our to the world last night, attempting to solicit more deal negotiations. They have players at positions of need for Dallas that they are willing to throw in to the deal. Jerry Jones can and could move up that high if the deal was done right. Some don't believe it will happen that way, others do. They don't need to explain their true intentions, current negotiations with *anyone* until tomorrow at 12pm PST. They can simply tout the "party line" until the last possible moment.

Good luck to the Cowboys tomorrow. I am hoping that no deal will go down, Chris Long doesn't go to an AFC team that is not Oakland, and that the Raiders are just looking for someone to "Herschel Walker" them with draft picks.
    </div>

I agree; we know the Raiders are dangling the pick.

And it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he contacted Jerry; we know Al and Jerry are friends.

But I don't believe a deal will be struck, because for various reasons. And one of the largest is because there is no talk about it. This kind of stuff leaks out. I know this because Mosley has been scary accurate the past 6 drafts. So much so that he has a source within Dallas and one can only imagine whom it is. But whoever it is, its clearly from someone at the top of the organization.

And he is talking about trading down in this year's draft.

That is what I am basing it off of, in terms of facts. There are several logical reasons a trade up doesn't make sense (or does make sense, depending on which way you want to argue). But Mosley isn't saying anything about that, and he would in a heartbeat like he has done every other year.

Either way, tomorrow will be exciting. I do think Jerry makes a deal, but I think its more likely to be with Miami at the top of round 2 than anything else.

12. Vintage

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Return of the Raider @ Apr 25 2008, 01:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vintage @ Apr 25 2008, 01:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Return of the Raider @ Apr 25 2008, 01:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vintage @ Apr 25 2008, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>No, its stupid because your scenario is not possible. The Jets CANNOT sign Barber. The deadline has passed.

The. End.

</div>

</div>

Call me skeptical. Do you have a list of "Moseley"-declared choices? Not the ones you guys want, but just Moseley's. I want to keep score tomorrow and see for myself just how much he tips their hand ahead of time.
    </div>

He guesses a lot outside of round 1, because there is no way in predicting who gets taken where and by what team.

The year we drafted Roy Williams; he said he was our target. The year we drafted Terence Newman; he called that. The year we drafted Ware/Spears; he called that (though to be fair, everyone knew if Spears was available at 20 we'd take him), the year we drafted Carpenter; he called that. And last year, he said we'd trade down for Spencer and take him....

Its possible he changes his mind between now and the start of the draft.... and if he does, I'll post an update.

BRB: let me go and get his most current prediction.

Edit: Here is his latest mock:

22. Dallas

RB Felix Jones, Arkansas: Unless Mike Jenkins falls into their laps, the Cowboys will take Jones. Don't be shocked if they take Oregon running back Jonathan Stewart, who is recovering from toe surgery. I've said it 100 times, but I'll say it again: Stewart may be the best back in this draft.

28. Dallas

CB Brandon Flowers, Virginia Tech: Jerry Jones will be trying to trade down with this pick. Someone will want to take Michigan quarterback Chad Henne at this point, and Jones will make a deal. But if they stay put, the Cowboys will take Flowers. The Pacman trade will not affect how the club approaches the draft. Also look for the possibility of the Cowboys trading down and eventually taking Tracy Porter out of Indiana. They really like him.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks

13. The Return of the Raider

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vintage @ Apr 25 2008, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Edit: Here is his latest mock:

22. Dallas

RB Felix Jones, Arkansas: Unless Mike Jenkins falls into their laps, the Cowboys will take Jones. Don't be shocked if they take Oregon running back Jonathan Stewart, who is recovering from toe surgery. I've said it 100 times, but I'll say it again: Stewart may be the best back in this draft.

28. Dallas

CB Brandon Flowers, Virginia Tech: Jerry Jones will be trying to trade down with this pick. Someone will want to take Michigan quarterback Chad Henne at this point, and Jones will make a deal. But if they stay put, the Cowboys will take Flowers. The Pacman trade will not affect how the club approaches the draft. Also look for the possibility of the Cowboys trading down and eventually taking Tracy Porter out of Indiana. They really like him.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks</div>

There it is, Dallas' hand has been tipped for the whole world to see. Should be fun to see how it all unfolds tomorrow.

14. Vintage

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Return of the Raider @ Apr 25 2008, 01:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vintage @ Apr 25 2008, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Edit: Here is his latest mock:

22. Dallas

28. Dallas

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks</div>

There it is, Dallas' hand has been tipped for the whole world to see. Should be fun to see how it all unfolds tomorrow.
    </div>

Its entirely possible he has gotten lucky with the last 6 or so drafts. But that's not what I think.

Its entirely possible he lost his source(s) to Miami. This is probably somewhat true. It remains to be seen if he still has sources within Dallas.

And its entirely possible this is what Dallas is planning on doing and will do on draft day. I think its probably pretty close.

But its also possible that someone slips (like Jenkins, in which case Mosley stated, that Dallas would go that route). And its also possible a pick gets moved for a veteran WR as Mosley also noted, in which case, any bets are off.

But I think if Dallas stays put, you'll see something very close to what Mosley says. And if you do see a deal, it will involve either a veteran WR or a trade down (out of one of our 1st round picks)

15. The Return of the Raider

Okay. If you come across any more "caveats" or "what if's", or little post-it notes, just meld them into that one post. Makes it much easier for uninformed Dallas critics like me.

16. Vintage

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Return of the Raider @ Apr 25 2008, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Okay. If you come across any more "caveats" or "what if's", or little post-it notes, just meld them into that one post. Makes it much easier for uninformed Dallas critics like me.</div>

No problem. Was already planning on it.

Do you need me to explain again the Barber-restricted free agency thing again, or do we finally understand it now?

17. The Return of the Raider

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vintage @ Apr 25 2008, 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Return of the Raider @ Apr 25 2008, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Okay. If you come across any more "caveats" or "what if's", or little post-it notes, just meld them into that one post. Makes it much easier for uninformed Dallas critics like me.</div>

Do you need me to explain again the Barber-restricted free agency thing again, or do we finally understand it now?
    </div>

Barber isn't going anywhere but Dallas this season. Got it.

18. Vintage

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Return of the Raider @ Apr 25 2008, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vintage @ Apr 25 2008, 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Return of the Raider @ Apr 25 2008, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Okay. If you come across any more "caveats" or "what if's", or little post-it notes, just meld them into that one post. Makes it much easier for uninformed Dallas critics like me.</div>

</div>

Barber isn't going anywhere but Dallas this season. Got it.
    </div>

That's a bet I'd make.... that he is in Dallas this season.

But an absolute lock, 100% for sure, guarantee is that the Jets won't sign him. Because they can't. Its impossible.

19. The Return of the Raider

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vintage @ Apr 25 2008, 01:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Its entirely possible he has gotten lucky with the last 6 or so drafts. But that's not what I think.

Its entirely possible he lost his source(s) to Miami. This is probably somewhat true. It remains to be seen if he still has sources within Dallas.

And its entirely possible this is what Dallas is planning on doing and will do on draft day. I think its probably pretty close.

But its also possible that someone slips (like Jenkins, in which case Mosley stated, that Dallas would go that route). And its also possible a pick gets moved for a veteran WR as Mosley also noted, in which case, any bets are off.

But I think if Dallas stays put, you'll see something very close to what Mosley says. And if you do see a deal, it will involve either a veteran WR or a trade down (out of one of our 1st round picks)</div>

The less that the Cowboys deviate from Moseley's predictions, the more likely he is a credible source for draft information. All possible outcomes should be kept to a minimum when proving this.

20. cpawfan

cpawfan Monsters do exist

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Return of the Raider @ Apr 25 2008, 03:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>The less that the Cowboys deviate from Moseley's predictions, the more likely he is a credible source for draft information. All possible outcomes should be kept to a minimum when proving this.</div>

Technically it would be

the more likely he still has credible sources in the Cowboys organization.

Moseley already has a track record of being credible on the Cowboys' draft, but the front office has just undergone serious changes.