NFL free agency and draft thread

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by kreidertime, Mar 13, 2020.

1. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

It's all we have left right now. Thank god for the NFL.

stampedehero likes this.
  2. kreidertime

My top 12 mock draft

1. Cin -Burrows
    2. Was - Tuo Tagovailoa Haskins sucks. They will dump him for a second.
    3. Lions - Chase Young
    4. Giants - Tristan Wirfs Thank God. Build the freakin OL first
    5. Miami -Justin Herbert
    6. San Diego - Jeff Okudah Chargers will give up a second or third for Haskins and pray he doesn't suck
    7. Car - Derrick Brown
    8. Ari - Mekhi Becton
    9. Jac - Isaiah Simmons
    10. Clev - Jedrick Wills
    11. NYJ - Jerry Jeudy Jets WR core has sucked for a decade. They will find OL guys later in the draft
    12. Raiders - Andrew Thomas

3. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

Chiefs picking last but I'm ok with that. :) I wouldn't mind seeing them take a RB like Taylor or Swift but CB/G/DE is probably a more pressing need.

4. RangersFan

RangersFan Well-Known Member

I hope the Giants sign an OT in free agency (maybe Conklin from the Titans), and then use the 4th pick on their awful D. I like Simmons from Clemson. I think that kid can be a mega stud.

5. kreidertime

I heard Washington is going to throw insane money at Conklin. Me, I'd rather they draft their OL guys. If they spend money, let them spend it on d guys with front loaded contracts that can be bought out in a few years.

6. panzerporter

panzerporter Well-Known Member

I think if you made the investment in Daniel Jones he has to have better protection but the Giants needs on defense are more pressing. I would hope the new coaching personnel could build the OL through trade/free agency. The real key is to hit on a good player and Gettleman did a pretty good job in the draft last year - Jones had a huge year, Dexter Lawrence was a huge upgrade on Snacks and Deandre Baker came on strong the last 6 games of the season. Jury is out on Ximines but I thought Julian Love was an absolute steal and will prove himself with a competent coaching staff. Connelly was playing himself into a starter's position before he got hurt and Slayton came out of nowhere to become a solid starter. The know nothings in the press can continue to kill Gettleman for trading away their beloved clubhouse cancer but Dave had a pretty good first draft.

7. theProdigy223

theProdigy223 Well-Known Member

I liked DG's draft as well, but dont forget that last year was his second draft. He did well in 2018 as well, landing us Saquon, Will Hernandez, Lorenzo Carter and BJ Hill.

Will Hernandez is a player, he has a mean streak on the OL we havent seen in awhile. I tend to watch the OL closely and it had to have been the most poorly coached OL ive seen in a long time. They had zero idea how to handle even the most basic stunt. They couldnt pass off a man to save their lives and were constantly getting turned inside out. Guards would drift outside with the d tackle too long and the pop in stunt would go untouched.

Will Hernandez - along with pretty much every other player on the roster outside of maybe Dalvin Tomlinson - regressed this past season, and that to me was the biggest red flag of the old coaching staff . I like for him to bounce back this year with a real good OL coach taking charge.

As for the draft I go back and forth between Simmons and a LT. Wirfs looks like a good player and was very impressive at the combine, but he is going to end up a guard. He doesnt have the length needed to play tackle in the NFL, and guard is the one place the OL is fairly good. I dont think he ends up being our guy. We need 2 tackles, and a C.

Ideally I would look to sign Conklin for RT and a LB (Van Noy?), draft Simmons then a C in round 2 (Tyler Biadsz can start day 1).

Simmons has versatility I havent seen out of a defensive prospect in a long time, and I've heard Judge say the word "versatility" about 20 times already. There arent many guys Simmons' size who can run with tight ends and slot receivers, and that is exactly what he did. My concern with him is that he isnt a very physical player. He's built like a basketball star and if you watched him and Clemson he runs around guys, not through them. That's concerning depending where we want to play him, but you have to trust the coordinators to use him correctly.

If they go T in round 1, Gross-Matos from PSU may be around for some defensive help in the early 2nd. Either way we need 2 starters in the first 2 rounds, ideally one on the OL and one in the front 7 on D.

8. kreidertime

I think Wirfs can absolutely play tackle. Haven't heard anybody say otherwise. I could also see them going Jedrick Wills as well. Not in love with Simmons. I don't believe in drafting players because of 40 times. In the NFL, you have to go through people. To me he's a tweener and I don't draft those in the first round. Ideally, you hope they can trade back with the Chargers or one spot with Miami, pick up an extra second from a team desperate for a QB. Pick an offensive lineman. I'm on board drafting Biadsz. Sorry, our center sucked. The fact the last coaching staff liked him proved they were fucking clueless. He sucked moose balls. With an extra second rounder they can then take a TE, then trade Engram try to get a late first. I've had it with him. I don't care how supremely talented he is. He's a pansy. Yet, a team like NE or NO who is desperate for a dangerous TE will roll the dice on him. At worst I think you get a 2 and 3 for him. Then use those picks on D. Jones like Eli is perfectly built for a big TE, who can block and make some plays and who stays on the field. The kid they picked up at the end of last season at TE I like a lot. I'd like them to add another type like that but more talented and go with 2, TE sets like NE used to. I think Judge will try to do that which will free Barkley up for huge runs as well as the play action for Jones. Either way, Gettleman really shouldn't just stay at his draft position like he always does. He needs to make trades. Engram has to go. Not because he can't be a dominate TE if the candy ass actually plays. He's simply not needed here. When you have Barkley and Jones, you don't need pass catching TE's who can't block. You need blocking TE's who can make occasional plays in the passing game.

9. panzerporter

Even though he's never done it on his career Gettleman might consider trading down to a QB desperate team since there doesn't seem to be an obvious draft target like previous years. With 2 years of decent drafts especially in the lower rounds an extra mid pick could be beneficial.

10. panzerporter

I agree about Engram. When he's healthy, which is becoming rare, he's impressive but the emergence of Slayton as another target for Jones makes Engram expendable for a good blocking TE.

11. theProdigy223

theProdigy223 Well-Known Member

I’m not saying he can’t play tackle, a team can put him there and he’d probably be ok, but his size and skill set best translate to guard. Daniel Jeremiah, who I think is the best in the biz (and had us linked to DJ last year for awhile) listed him as a guard in his latest mock. The gist of his report is “all pro guard, pretty good tackle.” He also didn’t play much LT in college.

I am with you on Halapio, he is absolutely brutal. Consistently gets put on skates in pass pro and collapses the pocket around the qb. I also have to put a lot of the miscommunications on him as well. The C is supposed to be a second quarterback out there directing pass pro at the snap. It was pretty evident he had no idea what he was doing.

Engram I can go either way. I love watching him play but the problem is he’s rarely playing. Kaden Smith was a nice find end of last year, he could turn into a useful player at TE. A blocking TE is important for us because we don’t want Barkley having many blocking responsibilities, we need him in the open field. Plus he sucks at it.

12. kreidertime

Who knows if we will even see sports with fans for a year. If they can't control this crap and prevent people from getting it a lot better, I don't see how there will be fans at games.

13. RangersFan

Signed James Bradberry to a three-year, $45 million deal.

14. RangersFan

Conklin went to the Browns on a reasonable deal. We also franchised Williams at DT. So to me that is starting to equal taking an OT, but which one. There are 3 or 4 rated around the same.

15. kreidertime

Bradberry was a guy that many felt could have made the pro-bowl last year. So, he should help for sure. I still think the Giants hope a team needs a QB and they can trade down 1 or 2 spots and pick up a second rounder from a desperate team along with their first.

16. RangersFan

I agree, perfect world we trade down a few spots and still get an OT. Issue is finding the team to trade with. I think the Lions are better positioned to trade down with a team looking for Tua than we are. Not saying it couldn't happen, maybe some team loves Hebert, but we may be one spot too late.

Also signed Blake Martinez to a three-year deal worth $30 million. Hopefully they can add one more player on D today, a pass rusher, and then we move forward with OT the absolute 1st round pick in the draft I'd say.

17. kreidertime

I still think Washington is taking Tua. Haskins sucks.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  18. RangersFan

That would even be worse for the value of our pick if Tua went 2. That would drive the value way up for the Lions at 3...unless somehow Young falls to us as a result.

19. kreidertime

Nah. It would be better for us. Lions wouldn't trade down then. They would take Young and we would have a team trying to move up for Herbert.

20. RangersFan

That assumes there is a team that feels Herbert is worthy of # 4 AND they have to jump ahead of Miami to get him. Not sure if that's the case...could be...who knows for sure.

At day's end it all comes down to Herbert I think. Does some team value him that highly? I am assuming Tua goes in the top 3 one way or another. The Skins take him OR the Lions trade down to a Tua team. Is Miami the team that trades up from 5 for Tua? If yes that limits the value of 4 a little since # 5 Detroit wouldn't take Herbert.

So to me it could work out for us to trade down and get good value, but we need to have things go our way 1-3 I think AND have a team covet Herbert (doubt teams value Love that high).