NFL free agency and draft thread

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by kreidertime, Mar 13, 2020.

1. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

To me the Giants signing this backup TE and the guy last year who looked good is a sign they are going to move Engram for picks.

RangersFan likes this.
  2. kreidertime

Jets signed 2 average OL guys. Tells me they are going WR with their first pick. Maybe WR with their second pick. Jets have a long history of putting no weapons around young QB's. This is the draft for WR's and to find OL guys later in the draft as well.

3. RangersFan

RangersFan Well-Known Member

Yes, I think they go WR as well.

I am hoping the Giants have one more signing on D still to come. Someone to rush the passer, maybe Jenkins from the Jets. If they don't have another D signing, I have to say I would have spent 2 mill more per season and signed Littleton over Martinez.

As for the draft, Giants are in sort of an interesting spot. There are 4 OT's that could go in the top 12 or 13 picks. Wills, Wirfs, Thomas, and Becton. If you look at a few projections and mocks, the order of the 4 varies. Which to me means there isn't a lot of separation between them, and there is no consensus. With that being said, if we have to stay at 4 and take one of the OT's we really are not getting value, and it is a crap shoot we'll hit on the best one or right one.

I hope we can trade down a little and still get 1 of the 4.

4. kreidertime

The entire draft for us really depends on how teams value Herbert. If they want him then I suspect we will trade back with Miami or San Diego. We might be able to get Miami's second rounder to move back just one spot as they have 3, 1st rounders.

5. theProdigy223

theProdigy223 Well-Known Member

Curious as to why.

EDIT - I'll also add from what I've heard from people, he had no interest coming here unless we really paid. He's a west coast guy, grew up in California and college ball in Washington. We talk about it in hockey, but the income tax issue is real. If we were to get him - which was unlikely - it would have been a whole lot more than Martinez cost.

Martinez is a pretty good player. Graham was his position coach in GB so knows him very well. He has experience calling a similar defense. I'll trust that judgment for now.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  6. kreidertime

Both guys the Giants signed are fairly young and are good, solid players. The other LB should push Carter. It's year three for him. Time for him to break out or ride the bench. Same for Beal. Tired of his injuries. Play already. As far as Engram I really, really, hope they trade him for a good return. He's not needed here any longer.

7. theProdigy223

Leonard Floyd and Devon Kennard both became available yesterday. We were heavily linked to Floyd in his draft year (granted under the previous regime).

Kennard should not have been allowed to get away though he wasnt a great fit in the 4-3 we ran at the time. 2 straight 7 sack seasons in Detroit. Figures a late round LB we drafted finally hits and it's with another team.

8. RangersFan

From everything I have seen and heard Littleton is much better at coverage and makes more impactful plays. Now if he wouldn't come or he would have wanted a lot more money, that makes it a moot point.

Also, I like Martinez, but GB had a terrible run D last season, and they made no effort to re-sign him despite tons of tackles. Has to be some reason for that you'd think.

9. RangersFan

Ideally I would like another pass rusher added. Jenkins, Floyd, Kennard. Someone.

10. theProdigy223

Kennard to AZ, Floyd to LAR. Neither lasted very long on the market.

I dont think Golden coming back on a reasonable deal is out of the question, but we'll see.

Havent seen this mentioned yet, but Halapio wasn't tendered by the deadline the other day. He could still end up in camp, but it at least shows you how they value him. Thank god.

11. kreidertime

I'm not a believer if you have cap money, spend it all with big, long term contracts. There are probably only 2 or 3 players you should sign to big money that can help your team. Other players are just probably depth guys who you should give 1 or 2 year deals. Giving them long term deals is a mistake. Giants needed a solid vet CB. Ronde Barber said he believes it takes most CB's 3 years to figure everything out. Giants need to be patient with their young CB's. OL must be built first. Then they can look for pass rushers. I would go LT first round. Then either RT or C in the second round.

12. RangersFan

If it was my decision I would pull the franchise tag off of Williams and sign Clowney for 17 mill per. That would give us the pass rusher and difference maker we badly need. Then I would double down on D and draft Simmons with the 4th pick. Everything you see says this kid is going to be a stud difference maker. You add those two guys to the players already added on D, and all of the sudden our D looks pretty darn good.

After that I turn my full focus on OL in rounds 2 & 3. You'll get a good starting level OL early in round 2 I think. And a solid depth OL in round 3.

My opinion is neither of those things happen though. Gettleman won't cut bait with Williams because it will make his trade for him last season look even worse. And I am guessing we'll draft Wirfs or maybe Becton, but thinking they take Wirfs at 4.

The shame of it is the Giants are in the worst spot at 4. If they were 2 they get Young. If they were 3 they trade down for extra picks, and still get a T (I feel some team - Miami most likely - deals up to 3 for Tua). But at 4 they won't have the QB value some team wants to trade up with the Giants. And candidly it is the worst spot to take a T since there are four that are give or take around the same level (Wills, Wirfs, Thomas, Becton). Taking the first T at 4 is just not good value at all. If/when they take a T, if he becomes a good player, that's cool, but still the value is bad. Same with Jones at 6 last year. If he turns out to be real good, and it looks like he may, it still doesn't change the fact that the value was not there to take him at 6.

13. kreidertime

They are not in the worst spot at 4. Teams aren't going to trade up with Detroit because they will want too much. I'm guessing they will try to trade up with the Giants who will probably ask less. Miami to move up one spot would have to give up their top 1 and probably a second. Giants could then trade back one spot again and pick up another extra second and still grab the top OL guy. Detroit most likely will be asking for two number 1's. IMO, Detroit as usual will be stupid and make the pick. Clowney is overrated an is not an impact player. He's never had double digit sacks and is injury prone. I'd rather have Williams and wait a year to draft a young pass rusher.

14. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

Detroit seems to like Okudah alot.

15. RangersFan

I think Detroit will deal the 3rd pick to a team wanting a QB. It is a fair point if their asking price is way high, maybe we can get in on the trade action, but for Miami to jump from 5 to 3 shouldn't be crazy over the top costly unless Detroit is out of control. My overall point is this. I don't see Tua being there at 4. One way or another I think he goes top 3, I feel Borrow/Young/Tua will be the top 3, most likely in that order. But anything is possible.

As for Williams or Clowney. If Williams is going to play for the 16.2 mill franchise # I rather have Clowney for 1 mill more. If we can get Williams to agree to a new deal for 10-12 mill per, then yeah save over 5 mill and keep Williams. Again we'll see what happens with a potential Williams deal.

16. kreidertime

Having Williams next to Lawrence is probably important for the kid. Plus the Giants play the 3-4. I see Clowney as more of a 4-3 guy at this point.

17. RangersFan

Lewis Riddick thinks we are crazy if we do not take Simmons. He said the player is perfect for us in everyway, and exactly what we need. He predicted if we pass on him Gettleman will be looking for a job after the season. I agree. We need to take Simmons if we stay at 4. Yes we need an OT, but I don't think we can pass on the potential stud talent Simmons is.

18. kreidertime

Riddick is a dumb fuck. Our OL has sucked moose dick for years. We have a franchise QB and RB. You don't take a guy on defense that is a tweener with the 4th pick.

19. RangersFan

Where do you come up with this stuff? The guy is 6'4" and 238 lbs. That is not a tweener. If by tweener you mean he can play multiple positions, sure he's a tweener. That's an awful thing providing great flexibility to a D and being able to move him around.

My first choice would be trade down and get some extra quality picks to fill the holes on the team, but if they cannot trade down I take Simmons for sure over a T that is 1 of 4 that will go top 15, and 4 is too high to take the first one. If they trade down for extra draft capital then I can get on board with drafting a T later than 4.

20. kreidertime

Every scouting report calls Simmons a tweener. Do some research. The three most important positions on a team are franchise QB, franchise LT and franchise CB. Great defenses don't win jack shit if your teams offensive line blows. You simply don't win titles with a shit offensive line which is what the Giants have had for years. I wouldn't take Simmons over a LT in a million years. You also run the risk of doing to Jones what Indy did with Luck and ruin his career with a crap OL. Not to mention wasting Sequon's career. OL is by far the top priority. Only when it's fixed can the team waste high picks on other positions.