NFL free agency and draft thread

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by kreidertime, Mar 13, 2020.

1. RangersFan

RangersFan Well-Known Member

And this debate on the tackles, which one/who projects best/G or T, is exactly why standing pat and taking one at # 4 is crazy...:). There is no consensus here. And we need a tackle not a guard, so we need to be sure whomever we take, if we take an OL, can be a very very good tackle at the very least. If he isn't then it is a fail at # 4. And if one of the other 3 turns out to be much better, that is also a fail at # 4. To me there is way more risk than reward taking one of these guys at 4.

Worst case, get a 3rd and a 5th and trade down between 5-10. Then take your tackle.

2. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

Jones and Mahomes both read coverages at a high level their first year of play. Mahomes also sat on the bench for his first year. Mahomes has the stronger arm but he is not nearly as accurate as Jones is. Both are mobile. Both take unnecessary hits. They are alike in many ways. Jones is plenty creative. You just can't see it all the time because his OL sucks ass while Mahomes has a very solid OL and his offensive weapons stay healthy.

My hope is that Detroit doesn't trade their pick, if they do the Giants trade back with Miami one spot and pick up the 5th and their second. Take Wirfs or Wills. Then go DE and C with their second round picks.

3. kreidertime

Lord we need this draft and some sports to happen.

4. Greyvtrayn

Greyvtrayn Well-Known Member

13 days until the draft..sports? well, that's a different story.

5. kreidertime

People need to get a clue that the Giants are not drafting a safety with their second round pick. Love will be the FS. Now if they trade back once or twice and pick up a couple more second rounders, then maybe. I think they try to pick up Miami's second rounder and move back one spot then draft either a DE or C and a WR with their second rounders. WR is a priority. Sheppard has concussion issues and Tate is old. I still hope they can get a second rounder for Engram.

6. kreidertime

McShay is a moron. He said that he thinks Darnold has the most talent of any QB in the last 3 years. IMO, he couldn't lift Daniel Jones jock strap. Darnold going back to college has been way below average with reading coverages and with his decision making. I can't remember in quite some time a QB that the media has tried to make out to be great who does pretty much nothing but play average. He consistently his entire career college and pro career makes idiotic decisions that lead to INT's. I'll be laughing when the Giants improve their OL, Barkley rushes for 1,600 yards each year and Jones consistently throws 30+ TD's with 10-12 INT's while Darnold is throwing 20 INT's every season.

7. Greyvtrayn

Two days away! Reports that the Giants are looking closely at Herbert while may be true, is a sign to me that they are looking for a trade partner more so than considering drafting him, there is just no way the Giants would take Herbert and everyone knows it.

8. RangersFan

Looks like it will be Wirfs or Wills, which obviously fills a big need, and that is okay from my POV. I wish/hope we can trade back a few spots and still get one of the OL, but if not so be it. I just hope the OL they select turns out to be a great Pro-Bowl player, and after playing their rookie year at RT can move to LT and replace Solder. If they cannot do that, or one of the other OL turns out to be much better, that is not good picking 4th, but again it fills a big need, and hopefully Gettleman selects the best one of the four.

9. kreidertime

The real question is this. San Fran has two first rounders then nothing to the 5th. They are trying to trade back and pick up a second. They want Engram. If they can move back from 13, pick up a good second and still have their highest first at around 20, I could see them sending that second rounder for Engram. If the Giants had 2 second rounders, they might take Simmons then go tackle and second in the second round. Becton is going to drop like a rock now with his failed drug test. Teams simply don't want guys like that.

10. Greyvtrayn

Andrew Thomas...WOW. We all knew they were taking an OT but few people expected it to be Thomas I think. This pick is a perfect argument for trading down.

RangersFan likes this.
  11. RangersFan

Terrible. The guy was consistently rated 4th of the 4 OT's, and we take him at # 4. Please fire Gettleman. I mean give me a break. Everywhere you look he was rated 4th of the 4, and most times was mocked to the Bucs at 14. I am sure the kid will be solid, but we could have traded down 8 spots and still gotten him. And Wirfs and Wills were both rated higher, as was Becton. Only thing I can say is he may be the most ready to play LT after next season when Solder goes.

12. RangersFan

Thomas better be a f'ing stud and be able to play LT, or Gettleman is done. If Wirfs/Wills are better it will show the ineptness of the Gettleman.

13. RangersFan

And BTW, and I am 100% convinced this guy has ZERO concept of value. He says I like this guy and drafts him.

Takes a RB at # 2.
    Takes Jones at # 6, when he could have taken him much later.
    Takes the 4th rated OT at number 4. Could have traded down 8-10 spots and gotten him, or one of the other tackles.

Gettleman is lost. It is very sad. 69 and it shows. Stuck in the stone age.

14. RangersFan

Every single pick 1-7 has been as predicted. Sure the Giants took a different OT, but everyone knew they were taking an OT. Not one surprise in the top 7 from virtually every mock. Boring, but I guess given the circumstances that was also predictable.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  15. RangersFan

So funny. Giants take the consensus 4th rated OT at # 4. No other OL is taken in the first 9 picks (VALUE). The Jets get an OL who pretty much everyone rated higher than Thomas at # 11. And through 12 picks Wirfs still available (he will most likely go 13 to TB). And we took the 4th rated OT at # 4.

Look, I am sure Thomas will be a solid player, the guy has SEC top level pedigree. He also is more ready to be a LT than the other 3 guys I think. But taking him at 4 made no sense at all. It is just illogical and again shows how lost Gettleman is.

16. TommyD

TommyD New Member

Stick to hockey. He was the number 1 rated OT all season long. The draft "experts" fell in love with these other guys during the combine. He is the most NFL ready OT in the draft and a LT

17. RangersFan

I don't care where he was rated all year long. 1. He was not the top rated T now. He was the 4th rated T. And yes I know I'll get the I don't care where people had him ranked. Again VALUE. 2. No other OL went in the top 9 picks, yet we felt the need to take the consensus 4th rated OL at # 4. That's terrible. The OL lasted until pick 13, which was just as predicted (13 or 14 would be the last of the 4 OL). Again VALUE.

I say all that while again saying I think Thomas will be a solid player. I don't think he'll be the best of the 4, based on upside I figure he'll be a very solid player and be the 3rd or 4th best OL out of this draft in 3 years. Very solid, but no way worth the # 4 pick, and at least 2 of the other top OL will be better long run I think.

I also love the Cowboys pick. I am a huge fan of Lamb. Huge add for them. If they don't win a lot of games next season they never will.

18. TommyD

TommyD New Member

CeeDee is steal of the draft so far. Friggin Cowturds got him

19. theProdigy223

theProdigy223 Well-Known Member

He has the most LT experience out of all 4, I think he is perfectly capable of playing LT. It was the other 3 whose LT ability was questionable.

Look, you can be as upset as you want about Thomas at 4, but it's just factually incorrect to say he was the consensus #4, he was consistently ranked 4, that everyone had Becton higher than him, and whatever other absolutes you just threw out there. MANY had him number 1, including 2 guys whose opinions I respect very much: David Diehl and Shaun Ohara. They said without question he's the most pro ready. If you need other examples I can send you several.

Im very happy with this pick. A true LT who played against the best competition for an immobile QB. Good player, good head on his shoulders, no red flags.

Hard to kill DG for not trading back given that there were hardly any trades at all. Teams obviously very hesitant to move around given this environment.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  20. theProdigy223

theProdigy223 Well-Known Member

PFF had him #1 as well. Here's every snap against the guy who was the second edge rusher drafted after Chase Young.