NFL free agency and draft thread

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by kreidertime, Mar 13, 2020.

1. RangersFan

RangersFan Well-Known Member

Actually I don't hate Gettleman at all. He was handed a pile of junk. But I also feel he has reached for players and not maximized value. And I don't feel like he really understands how to manage a draft board and be nimble with trades/moving up/moving down. We can disagree on that.

Taking a RB # 2 when we have no QB of the future, is not good value. Taking Jones at # 6, when he was nowhere near the 6th rated player in the draft, and no QB went after him until pick 15, is not good value. Taking 1 of 4 OL who were all rated around the same at # 4, and the one we took was generally the 3rd or 4th rated guy, is not good value.

These opinions are not simply mine. Go read many sports reporters and these are all generally agreed to thoughts.

With that said, it doesn't matter anymore. The guys are here. The picks are made. Let's hope they turn out to be good to very good players. We all want that. And I like his draft this year as I mentioned. So let's see how it works out.

Being fair I don't think Thomas needs to be the best by far of the 4 OL to make the pick a good one. IMO he needs to be a very good Pro Bowl type LT for many years to come to validate being taken with the 4th pick. If one of the other OL is better than that, but Thomas meets that level, it's all good to me. If he falls short of that level and/or is the 3rd or 4th best OL out of the four, then yeah that's a big knock on Gettleman.

2. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

What the fuck are you looking at? The last thing Gettleman does is reach for players. He usually takes low risk, players from top college programs or players that PFF has rated highly. Reese was the assclown that always reached for players.

theProdigy223 likes this.
  3. theProdigy223

theProdigy223 Well-Known Member

I can't disagree with this strongly enough. The NFL draft is simply not this formulaic. Every one of these picks has added context.

Saquon at 2 over a QB: We didnt just "take an RB at 2", we took a generational talent who is a leader among men with freak athletic ability, and passed on a questionable QB class while Eli still had 2 full years on his deal. What have any of those QBs shown that Daniel Jones hasnt? Thank GOD we don't have Baker Mayfield or John Rosen on this team right now. Darnold? Eh. Would rather have DJ and Saquon than Darnold and literally any other available RB. Josh Allen? DJ had a much more impressive rookie season than him. He looked better year 2 but let's see what DJ does year 2. Not to mention we now have the best running back in the league. I cannot wait to see what this kid does with a competent offensive line and offensive coordinator. According to PFF he experienced first contact behind the line of scrimmage more than any other RB, and he still hit 1000 yards twice. Incredible. Now he might actually get blocking.

Then taking Jones at 6: I dont know how many times I (or others) have to say it, but the "x number rated player in the draft" goes right out the window when you think you have found your next franchise guy. If you deem him your francise guy, you take your QB when you are given the chance. What happens if we decide to wait until 17 to draft Jones, and the Skins take him at 15, and we instead end up with Haskins? Are you kidding me? Judging by how they both looked in their first years, that would have set this team back YEARS. Wont know for sure until a few years down the road, but I am genuinely shocked that anybody can still be complaining about the DJ pick.

Thomas at 4th: saying that he was "generally the 3rd or 4th rated guy" again, is just simply not true. As a wise man once said you are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts. Thomas is not who I would have picked (I would have gone Wills) but given the ties Judge has to both the Georgia and Alabama head coaches, I am more than confident they did their homework. He has the most LT experience. He played against the toughest competition. We have a RB and QB, and they need protection. What's not to like? He doent fit the pre-conceived "value" chart you treat as gospel?

I think DG knocked his first 2 drafts out of the park. I think he nailed the first round this year. I have more questions about the later rounds of this year's draft than I had coming out of his first 2, but too early to form any strong opinions. There's plenty to get on DG about (Ogletree trade was bad, Leonard Williams trade looks bad so far, a few of the Oline FA stopgaps have been a waste), but his drafting has been excellent.

4. RangersFan

RangersFan Well-Known Member

Taking a RB at # 2 is not good value. Especially when your team is not ready to win now. This has very little to do with SB's ability, and everything to do with positional value. You can get very good/great RB's much later in the draft. You don't need to use the # 2 pick in the draft to get a great RB. Even if SB is extra great, you don't need that from an RB, and more importantly you can get a very good RB much much later. You calling out how good SB is really is not the point of my concern. Yeah he's a stud. I think we all knew he'd be a stud before he was drafted. Still doesn't mean taking a RB # 2 is the right play for a bad team. If SB is a 10, I could get a 9 or 9.5 RB much later in the draft. That's the point. Plus the shelf life of RB's is not that long either. Another risk taking a RB at # 2.

As for Jones, again you seem to focus on if the player is good or not to justify taking the player earlier than where they are slotted. Jones did not have to be drafted at # 6. It was a shocker to just about everyone he was drafted so high. If you like Jones, drop down a handful of spots and draft him. But with that said, this is the one we agree the most on. If he truly is your franchise guy and you feel strongly, I understand taking the QB and not risking it, especially when you have another 1st round pick as the Giants did. But I will say this, by taking him at # 6 he needs to be a very good franchise QB. He cannot be a solid game manager type and have it be a good pick by Gettleman to take him at # 6. Early signs I like Jones, but it is too early to tell for sure.

As for Thomas, consensus he was 3rd or 4th rated of the OT's. That is factual. Just using ESPN for example, as I called out in a prior post, 11 people ranked the 4 T's and he was ranked 4th overall. 4 points for best, 3 points for 2nd best, and so on. So yeah maybe he had a guy rate him 1st or 2nd best, but overall he had the least amount of points. Neither McShay nor Kiper had him ranked as one of their top 2 T's. One had him 3rd and the other 4th. So he was not the highest rated T. He wasn't the 2nd highest rated either. Again, with that said he is a Giant now. I am good with taking a T. He needs to step up now and prove it. I'll write what I wrote earlier:

Being fair I don't think Thomas needs to be the best by far of the 4 OL to make the pick a good one. IMO he needs to be a very good Pro Bowl type LT for many years to come to validate being taken with the 4th pick. If one of the other OL is better than that, but Thomas meets that level, it's all good to me. If he falls short of that level and/or is the 3rd or 4th best OL out of the four, then yeah that's a big knock on Gettleman.

I stand by this. Let's see where he ends up in the T mix between the 4.

5. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

You can't argue with this stubborn mule Prod. For starters, he's looking at rejects evaluating prospect who don't have a clue. Like I said, PFF and Ourlads are really the only 2 places to look at for prospect evaluation. Second, Jones was a incredible pick up. I bet not many QB's threw twice as many TD's as INT's in their rookie year. Especially with a crap OL and most of his weapons not playing. The stupid myth by morons in the media that have no clue was that Jones would have been there at 17. These media morons have no connections or legit sources. Simms one of the few in the media that actually isn't stupid and has legit sources said 3 to 4 teams would have taken Jones before 17. Gettleman IMO was told to win while trying to rebuild by Giants ownership who has a long history of never wanting to throw away a season. Despite that in 3 years he pretty much has rebuilt this roster now. They should start taking a step forward this season. The question will be what pass rushers will be available in the draft next year and will they go to a 4-3 or stick with the 3-4.