NHL draft thread

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by kreidertime, Oct 4, 2020.

1. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

Love that they've taken 3 Canadian players in this draft. I don't think he's a big longshot dump, as he's ranked as a top 60 player, which is probably more than Andersson is even worth now. Could be a better version of Lemieux.

2. NYR Fan

NYR Fan Well-Known Member

No surprise we traded Lias. He was never going to play for the Rangers again, and everyone knew that - almost everyone that is...LOL.

3. NYR Fan

What happened to Andersson is no ones fault except his own. It was a reach of a pick from the start, and now we move on, which was always going to be the case as he clearly didn't want to be a Ranger. I am sure he will mature, and he'll have an NHL career in LA or somewhere, but as a 3rd or 4th liner I'd guess, certainly not a 7th pick overall.

From a value POV that is a miss by Gorton. Now let's hope the player they drafted can make up for some of the misstep.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
    Greyvtrayn likes this.
  4. Ranger71

We don't have this type of sandpaper guy in the system which is good now. I don't see Lemieux being around that much longer.

5. theProdigy223

theProdigy223 Well-Known Member

I would have liked to see Lias used in a package for a 1LD or 2C, but either way his time here was done. He compounded his on-ice shortcomings by proving to everyone he was also an immature headcase. A brutal miss at 7 overall.

The guy we grabbed sounds very intriguing. Anyone who holds out Jamie Benn, Tkachuk and Tom Wilson as guys to model their game after works for me. Exactly the type of forward we need. His offensive ceiling is hopefully much higher than Lemieux (middle 6 rather than bottom 6).

Greyvtrayn and NYR Fan like this.
  6. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

Once again Chuck is a dumb. What happened to Lias had a lot to do with our idiot coach. You don't play Howden from day one with more ice time when Lias embarrassed his ass in the pre-season. That is as bad as you get with coaching and sends a terrible message to young players. Quinn has played favorites multiple times instead of committing to young players. Hajek got hurt and the dumb fuck wouldn't let him come back because of playing shitty players like Smith and relics like Staal. He kept playing McKegg who sucks ass when he had young players like Gettinger ready to get a chance. Problem with Gorton is he doesn't hold his coach accountable for his stupidity. Hopefully, JD will change that. He kept playing Fast on a scoring line when he can't score for shit. You must have poor eye site Chuck or you just don't understand sports.

7. NYR Fan

For sure it is on Quinn. Lias wasn't immature at all, and clearly not ready for primetime. Then he bailed on his team, which again is on Quinn. And lastly he wouldn't come back in prep for the playoffs in August, again on Quinn.

I mean the coach did play Howden over him after all, and instead of manning up he ran away, but that is on Quinn because he played Howden over him.

Sure Chytil was sent down, sucked it up, played well, and got called back up, but the Lias situation was very different and again on Quinn.

8. kreidertime

Chuck has sucked off every coach we ever had and always blamed the players. He loved Renney, Torts, AV and now Quinn. Coaches play favorites all the time with players and fuck up constantly. Quinn majorly fucked up with Lias. Lias was immature but he's most likely going to be a 50 point, two way pain in the ass on L.A. while Quinn is trying to get a college job. Hopefully, the kid they drafted does something down the line.

https://smahtscouting.com/2020/06/15/scouting-report-will-cuylle/

9. Messiah717

Messiah717 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Always the same story. Lets trade the entire team for picks and fire every single head coach.

Greyvtrayn and NYR Fan like this.
  10. kreidertime

I never said fire Quinn but it is tiring when people running things let dumb fuck coaches play favorites that suck like Smith or McKegg or are washed up like Hank or Staal. Quinn was a huge reason that Lias didn't want to come back. It was obvious. He loves Howden and Howden hasn't shown me jack shit to get the icetime he does.

11. kreidertime

Pronman is often an idiot but this is what he wrote.

10. William Cuylle, LW
    NHL.com Scouting Report:
    Powerful skater with good speed. Scoring threat with a heavy shot and quick release. Heavy on the body and on pursuit of pucks. Very strong puck protection and wall play. Excellent net front presence.
    Final Rank: 34
    Height: 6-3
    Weight: 204
    Birthplace: Toronto, Ontario
    Shoots: Left

At 6-3, Cuylle is the tallest of the group and will likely fill out his frame as time goes on. He posted similar numbers with Windsor last season (42 points - 22g/20a) as he did two years ago as a rookie (41 points - 26g/15a), and also represented Team Canada at the 2019 Hlinka Gretzky Cup where he earned three points (2g/1a) in a silver medal run. Not one to shy away from throwing his weight (or hands) around, Cuylle had a game-high seven penalty minutes (including a five-minute major for fighting) at the 2020 CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game in Hamilton, Ontario back in January.

"After scoring 26 goals as a 16-year-old in the OHL, Cuylle entered the season with a fair bit of hype. He didn't have a great statistical season, mostly repeating his numbers from his underage season, but he did generate a lot of shots with 200 on goal in 62 games. Cuylle is appealing because he's a 6-foot-3 winger who plays a powerful style and has a bullet of a shot. He will be able to score from the dots in the NHL because of how hard and accurate his shot is. He surprisingly didn't have that high a shooting percentage this season, but also scored several very high quality goals, lending to the theory he may have been a little unlucky. He's not reckless with his physicality, but he does throw his weight around and can create chances around the net. I debated between a 55 and a 60 for Cuylle's hands. I saw flashes of 60 grade but not consistently enough. He's a true playmaker and he's not that quick, so I saw a lot of nights where it didn't seem like he did much. He has a strong track record even if his point totals this season weren't great. He has a lot of the tools you look for outside the skating and hockey IQ, and I think it's enough to make it." -- The Athletic's Corey Pronman

mrmel29 likes this.
  12. Ranger71

Took G Dylan Garand in the 4th round. Seems like a good developmental prospect out of Kamloops. Once Georgiev leaves maybe he becomes a backup if Wall, Huska and Lindbom don't pan out.

13. kreidertime

The Rangers and fucking goalie prospects. They never stop.

14. NYR Fan

That one we agree on. How many goalie prospects do we need? Big picture 4th round unlikely to get a player anyway, so not a huge issue, but still seems odd.

15. mrmel29

mrmel29 Well-Known Member

ummmm, a guy named Henrik in the 7th

16. NYR Fan

No doubt there are examples of players drafted late, and not drafted being very successful. The %'s are very small though. I wouldn't have taken another goalie in the 4th round, but it doesn't seem to be a big issue I don't think.

17. kreidertime

18. kreidertime

Seems like the Rangers took a couple of guys in the 5th that were ranked 72 and 81st. Pretty interesting prospects. Love the draft so far. Not the Andersson trade but maybe the kid will be a good power forward for us. Seems the reports on him are very good. They can give him 2 more years in junior and 2 years at the AHL level.

19. kreidertime

THN had Berard rated in the 50's. Now, a lot times with our prospect ratings they suck ass. However, pre-draft to get a guy that high in the 5th round is pretty good.

20. kreidertime

Just drafted some basketball center at 6'8 in the 6th round.

Ranger71 likes this.